Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

let's see how much all of you guys have learned so far ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I'm a little angry

I'm angry because we have an idiot that is passing himself as a professional. Grow some balls and accept that what you are teaching is wrong. You are showing nothing but temerity and an absolute insult to the people that trust in you.

If you don't know your craft have the decency to admit it . Schoolboy behaviour.. This is insulting to those that possess a little knowledge and downright deceiving to those who don't. My mum would smack your ass..

Comment

Ok Anyone who feels they have been taught a thing or two about metalshapinng ought to put their name forward for the Tim Tam challenge. Pugsy and David have been the only two takers to this point. Dennis ( who I know is busy ) has decided to join in too.

Pete and I will send the profiles of the Austin Healy guard. At our cost. You reproduce it in your own good time. Its not a competition about speed or flash tools. Its simply an exercise to see if you have been paying attention. The major prize is a packet of Tim Tams. ( If that doesn't excite you I don't know what will )

The secondary prize is showing the teacher that we have respect and have gained value from what he has taught.. But, you have to post the journey. We aint that interested in the finished article. ( within reason ) Its the progress that counts.. Don't leave it up to the other guy. You may just be the one who inspires the next generation of metal shapers

Comment

I'm looking forward to using the AH lessons to work on my TR3B. Someday. Sometime. But those rear wings aren't as complicated as a AH wing, though, so I'll probably not be eligible for the big prize round. I've got a spare front TR3A front apron I thought I should set up and try matching.

I have to get this Guzzi and Galaxie projects done first. I can see the big Guzzi fairing halves being fairly close in shape to the AH wing.

Comment

It will probably cause me a divorce but why the hell not!

Let me know the details John and count me in,

Cheers Charlie

PS It will probably take me years to achieve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi john View Post
            Ok Anyone who feels they have been taught a thing or two about metalshapinng ought to put their name forward for the Tim Tam challenge. Pugsy and David have been the only two takers to this point. Dennis ( who I know is busy ) has decided to join in too.

Pete and I will send the profiles of the Austin Healy guard. At our cost. You reproduce it in your own good time. Its not a competition about speed or flash tools. Its simply an exercise to see if you have been paying attention. The major prize is a packet of Tim Tams. ( If that doesn't excite you I don't know what will )

The secondary prize is showing the teacher that we have respect and have gained value from what he has taught.. But, you have to post the journey. We aint that interested in the finished article. ( within reason ) Its the progress that counts.. Don't leave it up to the other guy. You may just be the one who inspires the next generation of metal shapers

Looking forward to it.
            I have to try and sneak a half hour here and there at the office.
            I have all my equipment there. Will take progress pics as I go.
            Of course, I will have to re-watch the videos.
            The main thing I noticed that I do wrong is I go crazy on the poor panels thinking that it takes so much work to stretch and shrink.
            Meanwhile, Peter's there cool as a cucumber doing his thing.
            Pugsy

Comment

Ok I have my paper pattern and profiles done.
              I took them off of my left rear 1960 BT7 Healey guard.
              I will take a few photos and post them in the next day or two
              David Bradbury

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010705.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	6181

Well here are my first two pictures of the process.
                I still need to clean up the edges of the pattern.
                I also need to make the patterns for the lower edge that turns under at the rear of the wheel opening.
                I also decided to use more profiles then Peter shows in his video.
                Yes I know that there is no number two profile that's because number three works in both profile two and profile three location.
                Also just noticed in the pictures that the location marks for the profiles are not showing up but they are there.
                They are marked in pencil so not showing up.
                I will cut the blank and mark it up in the next few days.
                David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post

Name:	P1010705.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	6181

Well here are my first two pictures of the process.
                  I still need to clean up the edges of the pattern.
                  I also need to make the patterns for the lower edge that turns under at the rear of the wheel opening.
                  I also decided to use more profiles then Peter shows in his video.
                  Yes I know that there is no number two profile that's because number three works in both profile two and profile three location.
                  Also just noticed in the pictures that the location marks for the profiles are not showing up but they are there.
                  They are marked in pencil so not showing up.
                  I will cut the blank and mark it up in the next few days.
                  David in this case the patterns helps a lot , but to make things a bit quicker and easier you can cut the blank this way.......

Put the guard on a flat surface over the top of a piece of alluminium , then trace the guard all the way around allowing + 3 inches all the way around , this way you will then have two lines, one been the right guard line , the other would be the excess .Yes it will change while stretching and shrinking but it will still give you a indication where you are at all time
                  It's simply a good way to see if you have done the shrinking evenly
                  Peter T.
                  PS please post some pics of all your stages

Comment

Thanks guys for stepping up. Peter wonders if his tutorials are falling on deaf ears sometimes. Too simple ? too complicated? The TT challenge is simply an opportunity to show him how much we have learnt. .. I personally don't care how long it takes and how often I have to start again. The object of the exercise is to show understanding of the process.

Peter is more interested in your approach to each stage, and that is want he wants to see. If you make a mistake he will provide gentle feedback and help reset your course.

He cant provide that teaching if we don't post our journey. Make it out of tin. Make it from aluminium. The ballsy gals may want to try copper ! Just have a go and allow his critical analysis. You will learn so much from the exercise that any embarrassment ( the fear of failure ) will pale into insignificance. You may get to expand your knowledge of street Italian along the way. !

Ill post out patterns and templates next week.. It isn't a competition. Its an opportunity to learn from a master. Its an opportunity to submit yourselves to a true master and have him personally critique your work. Mark in your diaries the day you start. Admit that you have misgivings and accept that this is just an opportunity to grow... Ok . So what if something goes wrong and you get stuck ? That's the fork in the road. But you will have a brilliant master urging you in the direction that you ought to follow .

A whole packet of TIM TAMS. This is a world first. Unbelievable opportunity
                    Last edited by Kiwi john; 17-04-21, 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake.........

Comment

Thanks guys for stepping up. Peter wonders if his tutorials are falling on deaf ears sometimes. Too simple ? too complicated? The TT challenge is simply an opportunity to show him how much we have learnt. .. I personally don't care how long it takes and how often I have to start again. The object of the exercise is to show understanding of the process.

Peter is more interested in your approach to each stage, and that is want he wants to see. If you make a mistake he will provide gentle feedback and help reset your course.

He cant provide that teaching if we don't post our journey. Make it out of tin. Make it from aluminium. The ballsy gals may want to try copper ! Just have a go and allow his critical analysis. You will learn so much from the exercise that any embarrassment ( the fear of failure ) will pale into insignificance. You may get to expand your knowledge of street Italian along the way. !

Ill post out patterns and templates next week.. It isn't a competition. Its an opportunity to learn from a master. Its an opportunity to submit yourselves to a true master and have him personally critique your work. Mark in your diaries the day you start. Admit that you have misgivings and accept that this is just an opportunity to grow... Ok . So what if something goes wrong and you get stuck ? That's the fork in the road. But you will have a brilliant master urging you in the direction that you ought to follow .

I have no issues of looking stupid. I do it a lot and I do it well, ha.....
                      Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post

David in this case the patterns helps a lot , but to make things a bit quicker and easier you can cut the blank this way.......

Put the guard on a flat surface over the top of a piece of alluminium , then trace the guard all the way around allowing + 3 inches all the way around , this way you will then have two lines, one been the right guard line , the other would be the excess .Yes it will change while stretching and shrinking but it will still give you a indication where you are at all time
                        It's simply a good way to see if you have done the shrinking evenly
                        Peter T.
                        PS please post some pics of all your stages
                        Damn I should have been able to think of something that simple
                        I do find making paper patterns and attempting to see everything they have to tell me about a shape very interesting though.
                        I will be sure to take pictures of my progress on the guard.
                        Going to be a little while before I can post them.
                        My computer went shit-house on me so I am using a computer borrowed from my Granddaughter and it is very very slow.
                        So I will have to wait until I get my computer fixed or replaced before I can post pictures
                        David Bradbury

Comment

John,
                          I have another shape on my Austin Healey that I have been trying to do for some time.
                          It is the Headlight area of the front guard. I will post pictures of my ummm progress or lack of it once I get my computer issue sorted.
                          I have the BT7 Healey and also a 69 E-type Jaguar.
                          I would like to learn to make any and all panels for both cars.
                          So I spend a good amount of time thinking about what Peter is trying to teach us.
                          But at 71 years old I am a little slow in trying to apply his teachings. LOL
                          The body doesn't respond the way it used to
                          I tend to over do everything then I have to wait for my hands or shoulders or elbows to heal up.
                          Think I would have learned the difference between being 31 years old and 71 years old.
                          Hmmm does that make me a stubborn old bastard
                          David Bradbury

Comment

Ok got my computer fixed so I can post pictures again.
                            I have made up my pattern and profile gauges.
                            I have cut out my blank and marked all the lines.
                            I have started to set what Peter called the DNA of the shoulder or radius.
                            Once that step is to my liking I will take a photo and post my progress.
                            David Bradbury

Comment

Name:	P1010707.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	6285 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010709.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	6287 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010708.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	6286
                              I think I now have enough shape in the panel to start blocking.
                              The panel looks flatter then it is. I am working with 20 gauge (.36 thou) cold rolled.
                              I believe Peter did the Healey guard in Aloy. .60 thou.
                              20 gauge is what my original guards are made from.
                              The 20 gauge is a little looser then the Aloy at this point so it want's to lay a little flat on a hard surface.
                              It does have just a very slight curve as Peters panel did just before he began to block it.
                              So I think I am good.
                              David Bradbury

Comment

So this is where I am at with the panel after about three hours.

Name:	P1010710.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	6298

I probably spent an hour to an hour and a half actually blocking with the hammer.
                                I spent the remainder of the time looking at it.
                                Trying to see in my mind what was needed next and what was going to happen next.
                                I also spent a bit of time standing on it.
                                Putting a panel on the floor and standing on it is something I had never done before.
                                But it works really well LOL.
                                Helps take stress out of the panel, opens it up, flattens it, and helps guide it to the shape your going for.
                                Oh and the other good thing, it makes me laugh every time I do it.
                                I can hear Peter saying "stand on the damn thing"

In the two pictures below you can see that the edge of the wheel well area is loose, looks like extra material.
                                But there is also a hollow area just behind that so I think it is just a matter of moving metal as Peter would say.
                                So I think I am ok.
                                I am now working on the edge in the second picture below.
                                Just starting to do some shrinks in that area.
                                What ever comes up while blocking.
                                I think as I turn that edge and bring that area up it will also help tighten the wheel well edge.

Name:	P1010711.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	6299 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010716.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	6300

David Bradbury

Comment

Working...