• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aston Martin DB5 Continuation - alloy body building the old way video

Building new Aston Martin DB5 Continuation cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgALH_l1BA

I think Peter will like this one.....

NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!
    Did you see the standard of that work, simply amazing, pure craftsmanship .

One of my teachers worked there in the 50's and 60's, then in the late 70's he emigrated to Australia . I was VERY LUCKY to work with him for about 6/7 Years, boy did I learn from him ! He was a real tradesman and his workmanship was INCREDIBLE !.... Now you guys can FINALLY understand my FRUSTRATIONS when I see work being done by you know who? . Just concentrate on the workmanship of the return for the top of the Aston Martin guard on the video

Nowadays a good friend of mine is working there ,and has been working there for about 7/8 Years, we are keeping in contact via the NET and every now and then sends me some pics of his work,...................... well I do not need to tell you about the quality of his work !

THANK YOU Dave for posting this inspiring video. This is REAL metalshaping and that is the way it should be taught!
    Peter T.
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 03-01-21, 12:59 AM.

Comment

We are always Happy to make Peter HAPPY ,

Thanks for sharing the correct way to do things ....

I wish there was a little more "action" in this video , maybe your friend can sneak in on a Saturday and show us some of the tools and dollies they use.....

I have not watched the video with the sound ON yet , I wanted to watch it with my eyes to see what was happening , I will go back later and listen to it !

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
        NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!
        Did you see the standard of that work, simply amazing, pure craftsmanship .

One of my teachers worked there in the 50's and 60's, then in the late 70's he emigrated to Australia . I was VERY LUCKY to work with him for about 6/7 Years, boy did I learn from him ! He was a real tradesman and his workmanship was INCREDIBLE !.... Now you guys can FINALLY understand my FRUSTRATIONS when I see work being done by you know who? . Just concentrate on the workmanship of the return for the top of the Aston Martin guard on the video

Nowadays a good friend of mine is working there ,and has been working there for about 7/8 Years, we are keeping in contact via the NET and every now and then sends me some pics of his work,...................... well I do not need to tell you about the quality of his work !

THANK YOU Dave for posting this inspiring video. This is REAL metalshaping and that is the way it should be taught!
        Peter T.

Whatever happened to "Peach" Peter? Retire? Pass away? I remember the first vid I saw you in he was doing most of the talking. Were you two partners or did he work for you? Just curious as I came across a video with the two of you the other night.

Comment

i know a couple of people that were taught under tom peach, i personally never met him, my loss it seems as everyone says he was a great guy and great panel beater
          thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post

Whatever happened to "Peach" Peter? Retire? Pass away? I remember the first vid I saw you in he was doing most of the talking. Were you two partners or did he work for you? Just curious as I came across a video with the two of you the other night.
            Chris this how I met Tom

In 19...something (not sure when ) Tom Peach won a scholarship here in Australia and travel to England for 2 Years training . He liked it there that much that he decided to stay there and pursue his career . he worked at Rolls Royce under the guidance of an ''older'' craftsman who had been working at Rolls Royce for most of his life , when Tom came back to Australia all he could talk about was how good the tradesman that he worked with in England was , his words where '' the best panel beater and panel worker that he ever met.'' Once back in Australia Tom decided to become a teacher and putting his skills learned in England to good use . By that time I already had finished my 5 Years apprenticeship and was working contracting here and there in Australian body shops , one day while working in a particular shop here in Melbourne I met Tom who was working at the same shop during schools holidays, I got to know him well and started working with him on some jobs. Once I saw Tom skills ,I asked him if he was interested to teach me some of his skills. His answer was yes ....... BUT there was a catch to it. He said .... [quote] I will teach under the conditions that I get TOTAL dedication from you, and you will be working after hours with me with no pay well... I took the offer with both hands knowing that I could not go wrong! That lasted about 2 years, nearly every day after hours I will be working with him . After a few years Tom got a package from the Australian department of Educations and retired from teaching. by that time I was contracting my work else where at a place where they where only working with Rolls Royce cars . about that time the Rolls Royce dealer had in the body shop a particular Rolls there which was damaged in a car accident, the owner of the dealership had heard of such person in England that was a MASTER at building Rolls Royce, so he decided to contact this person and have him sponsored to came to Australia to fix this particular car . I met this person a few Months later when he arrived in Australia , introduced my self etc . His name was Ted Flinders and after a few weeks I was working there we where talking about English tradesmen and how and where he worked in England .When Ted said that he worked at Rolls Royce I mentioned the fact that one of my teachers here in OZ worked at Rolls Royce , ....Ted immediately ask me of my teachers name , so I said my teacher name is Tom Peach
            WELL...... I will never forget the look on Teds face, and in a English accent he simply said .... BLOODY HELL..... I taught that guy years ago . Ted returned to England only to then a few years later emigrate to Australia with all his family simply because [Quote ] ....I like the weather here . i continued to contract work at the Rolls Royce dealership for a while where later I met another English tradesman that worked at Aston Martin before emigrating to Australia his name was Bob Head and he also was outstanding !

So to sum all of this up.... Ted Flinders taught Tom at Rolls Royce in England, Tom Taught me here in OZ , then Tom worked for me , then years later I worked with Ted Flinders. I consider myself very fortunate to have met and worked with all those GREAT tradesmen.

Tom is now retired and doing small jobs at home at the age of 82 years. Ted Flinders moved from Melbourne to Queensland and unfortunately died about 10 /12 years ago, unfortunately Bob Head also passed away about 18 / 20 years ago. (hard to keep track of dates )
            Peter T.

PS guys listen to me keep working and learning the Italian and English traditional ways ,..... you CAN NOT go wrong!
            Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 03-01-21, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Peter,
              Great bit of personnel history.
              I always wondered about Tom Peach his personal history as well as yours.
              Now I know a small bit of it.
              I hope your still able and teaching well into your later years as other great masters have.
              David Bradbury

Comment

Thanks Peter for sharing. Very interesting.

Comment

was this one of your mates ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfm_GfdrNHg

Comment

Very interesting Peter. I too was wondering about Tom,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post
                      was this one of your mates ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfm_GfdrNHg

Hard to say, those two gentleman on the video where pretty young, I knew Ted at an much older age
                      Peter T.
                      Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 04-01-21, 03:51 AM.

Comment

You’ve been blessed by the Golden age of Coachbuilding....with the added bonus of Great weather.👍👍 respect.

We cannot replace your Skills..... and it must always feel good too have the Edge.
                        https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                        X