New video by our friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video by our friend

I just finished watching our friend N 9 A video I could not believe What I was seeing
    are these enough? Would this show that I do not agree with the method? I can put more of them!!!

My God I feel sorry for the poor beginners and followers watching the whole series of video's on that build ( so far about 15 of them ?) And trying to learn!!
    ...............They will be in for a nasty surprise

The good thing about this Forum is that we can say what we feel without having our heads blown off from administrators or other operators and so called experts from other Forums with all of half hour of experience in metalshaping (and I can mention a few of them !!) but we are open for reasonable discussions on the video in question from our friend. AND WE CAN PROVE IT !!!!!...... If you think I am wrong or too critical ......... please check these two links below and take a good look where the weld joints are situated and the finish of the product, then check on the next video from the same shop and see the proper way to make a return curve by one of the best in the business..... Mr Geoff Moss.
    From a beginner point of view the two methods and the finished panel, might not look so different, But!!!! Let me tell you ...... the method ,the tools, theory, the finish, and the principal of the two applications...... are a world apart !!!!!!! (and that is to put it mildly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1x9mQ5iTU OR....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GTMAMUee4

then the follow ups N 2/3/4 etc from Geoff

PS after clicking the ''post '' button I felt a bit better And further more .....guys.... PLEASE !!..... If you are just starting, which way would you like to practice and learn ? Our friend in question ?..... Or the traditional way shown on the link above..... ''rest my case'' !!!!
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-25-2019, 01:01 PM.

Tell us how you really feel!

Other than the general use of FSPs, I'm curious if there's anything new in this video that you think is especially wrong. Also, if there's anything he's doing that you think is right!

Comment

Grumpy old shit
      Cheers, Richard

Comment

Peter,
        When is your next video due out?????
        David Bradbury

Comment

Everything about it is wrong..... (NOTHING IS RIGHT!!!!) where the welds are, the approach to the blanks, the tools that he uses, the look of the finished product, at the moment the '' scoop in the middle is sitting 15./20 mm above the top of the skin... I WOULD HATE TO THINK WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THAT PANEL IS WELDED TO THE REST !! The flange that comes off the scoop it is all twisted and not on the same plaine the height of the scoop at the very end is too tall (should be only 30mm high from center of the radius to the top line, the nose (or mouth) on the front is not symmetrical and gee I would need 6 pages to go trough all of the defects ...PLEASE watch the link I posted and watch it carefully!! ...OK let me tell you something else, because you are a beginner you can not see what I can see, neither can the followers on the youtube with their flattering comments that they have made. All I know is that to finish that bonnet with no '' Bondo'' ready to paint ,one would need to spend another 100 hours or more to get it right with hammer and dolly slapper and file . The other option would be to ''bondo the panel from edge to edge then paint it ...or start again!!! . The whole theory application, method, execution, theory of the whole build is simply ....not another way to do things, or as they say '' to skin a cat''...............It's simply WRONG!!!
          Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-25-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
            Peter,
            When is your next video due out?????
            Yea .. I am sorry for the delay but I was busy for our Mottorclassica set up in Melbourne last week, where I attended for 3 days + the 3 days for setting up and 2 days to clear out and re setting in my shop, I am a little behind but I will post the video soon
            Peter T.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
              scoop in the middle is sitting 15./20 mm above the top of the skin... I WOULD HATE TO THINK WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THAT PANEL IS WELDED TO THE REST !!
              I had noticed this and wondered about it as well. Now that you bring it up, I just realized how stiff that scoop is and how challenging it's going to be to weld it to the rest of the bonnet without messing everything up. Will be interesting to see how he deals with this...

The flange that comes off the scoop it is all twisted and not on the same plaine the height of the scoop at the very end is too tall (should be only 30mm high from center of the radius to the top line, the nose (or mouth) on the front is not symmetrical and gee I would need 6 pages to go trough all of the defects ... because you are a beginner you can not see what I can see...
              I don't think many people can see what you can see!! Thanks for pointing this stuff out though, I'm going to relook at the video and see if I can spot some of these issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=joeswamp;n1974]

I had noticed this and wondered about it as well. Now that you bring it up, I just realized how stiff that scoop is and how challenging it's going to be to weld it to the rest of the bonnet without messing everything up. Will be interesting to see how he deals with this..

Joe...

He probably will deal with that problem off camera ,then just present the finish job on a later video .Just like he did when he welded the 2 parts of scoop together. from one video to the other he had the scoop clamped and ready to weld and looking at it on the N 9 A video ...it still looks wrong and all over the place
                In order to train your eyes on these things just look and study the link from Geoff Moss I posted and see where the welds should be .The welds are where the sand paper marks are on the shining surfaces

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-25-2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

What is this N 9 A video you speak of ? I don't see a link.
                  Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post
                    it's here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2u1ORcYvaA&t=1829s i had started to watch this but at halfway through i had the same feelings as i did with the first video.... watching the edge curl over when he is blocking out the hump, and him saying he will shrink it to lift up the bulge, then he puts it on the wheel and stretches the shrinks out wtf?

not the way i have learnt and done all the reverse curves on my project porsche

too painful to watch sorry
                    thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post
                      Sorry ......... as a rule in my business I personally do not mention names but I am sure you will find out soon enough from someone else.
                      Having said that if you find out what we are talking about, you might want to check the two links on my opening comment first , then all of the follow ups on those two links , then check the video N 9 A ..................then make your own mind, .... if you like you can comment on them all

Peter T.
                      Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-25-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Old saying, kinda applicable here. Those who can......do (do the work for a living) Those who can't....teach. BTW He charges a fortune for his classes as well. Sigh.

Comment

Study the right experts and practice the right ways. Ignore & avoid the rest totally, completely and without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
                            Old saying, kinda applicable here. Those who can......do (do the work for a living) Those who can't....teach. BTW He charges a fortune for his classes as well. Sigh.
                            Not my business but ... just for curiosity sake do you know how much is the various classes charges?
                            Peter T.

Comment

Yea .. I am sorry for the delay but I was busy for our Mottorclassica set up in Melbourne last week, where I attended for 3 days + the 3 days for setting up and 2 days to clear out and re setting in my shop, I am a little behind but I will post the video soon
                              Peter T.
                              I see you a very busy person that is a good thing keeps you young.
                              Always look forward to anything new from you, videos ,pictures, comments .
                              David Bradbury

Comment

Working...
                              X