Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaiQT5SvAoA

Just an interesting video I found, shows a lot about the traditional methods of build a racer. Hope its OK to post this here.Enjoy.

Rex It's more than OK to post that video here ....thank you ! Brings back beautiful memories and that is exactly how it was done back then at Scaglietti. it was a good learning curve for me 51 Years ago, and in some ways I continue to work that way now days . But instead of the Maglio , when I emigrated from Italy to Australia I adapted the English wheel method, but some time I use the hammer as well (regarding the video.).. by the look of the shop it was around the Year 1957 /1962
    Peter T.
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

great video! loved watching it

thank you for posting
      thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
        Rex It's more than OK to post that video here ....thank you ! Brings back beautiful memories and that is exactly how it was done back then at Scaglietti. it was a good learning curve for me 51 Years ago, and in some ways I continue to work that way now days . But instead of the Maglio , when I emigrated from Italy to Australia I adapted the English wheel method, but some time I use the hammer as well (regarding the video.).. by the look of the shop it was around the Year 1957 /1962
        Peter T.
        Glad you enjoyed the video, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Still amazes me how they went from a few masurements with a folding rule, to a paper pattern, to a car body. I got a long way to go!

Comment

Guys here another video showing the same principle to make a reverse curve used in metalshaping ... but in a much bigger scale , NOTE!! no stretching on the middle of the radius .
          Peter T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuo2...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• neilb
            neilb commented
            Editing a comment
            no chance of doing that with a hot dog die

Great stuff, can you tell us how it was , when you started out in Italy.
          that was one hell of a big E Wheel...🤣
          Last edited by Moving molecules .; 03-18-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Nice. I wish I would have seen that before I made the reverses for my project.
            Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
              Great stuff, can you tell us how it was , when you started out in Italy.
              that was one hell of a big E Wheel...🤣
              Back in 1968 at Scaglietti's.. it was more or less the same what's on on the video , poor conditions in the working area ...no masks, very little work safe and little pay , But I would do it all over again, it was a BIG learning curve for me
              Peter T.

Comment

Great stuff Peter, just out of interest the Italian coachbuilders used to stretch metal over a big Square thick lumps of metal was that block of Steel called anything special ??? Because early Ferrari,s had these dimple marks.
                is your old company still going and is there any history out there?.

I started a L&C BMW in Royal Tunbridge Wells in 1988 ... it’s now a block of Flats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D90F6FC7-B907-4456-B3B4-EB5CB3354DA5.png
Views:	29
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	2770
                Last edited by Moving molecules .; 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• neilb
                  neilb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i'm not too sure if it was called a maglio helve hammer?, the wheel is an english machine, european coach builders where more towards hammers. i'm sure peter will confirm this

The Maglio is a power hammer which is steeped in history.....

Comment

Working...
                X