this is the Italian way, brings back memories from 1968

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is the Italian way, brings back memories from 1968

Enjoy ! ( Brian Tanti is doing the explaining )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ManckYP2r80

Peter T.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And here.. you will be able to see some SPECTACULAR work from a friend of my in Turin (Italy ) , his work is simply something else,...

This is the pinnacle of metal shaping, whether it is done by hand or with a buck.
    Note, he does a lot of prototype work for Ferrari who supplied the bucks as seen in the photos.
    Peter T.
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-03-21, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wow Peter! Thanks for posting the pictures. Amazing stuff. Inspiring. I plan to study all of them closely.

Couple of questions, being I have been focused on turning an edge/flange. I notice many panels in these pictures with edges/flanges all looking very neat and tidy. How are they forming them? Machines? By hand?

And in the second to last set of pictures, where the man is working on the modern inner door panel and is using some chasing tooling and the hammer.

Is he forming the pockets/depressions/swages (not sure exactly what to call them) by directly hammering into the buck?

Or is he cleaning them up after forming them? Is the material aluminum?

The buck material in those pics appears to be some sort of hard foam?

Comment

Very, very cool.

I wondered about the bucks as well. I expect they're CAD designed and CNC-milled into an appropriate hard foam or synthetic material for quick prototyping. Pretty standard stuff nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
                              Wow Peter! Thanks for posting the pictures. Amazing stuff. Inspiring. I plan to study all of them closely.

Couple of questions, being I have been focused on turning an edge/flange. I notice many panels in these pictures with edges/flanges all looking very neat and tidy. How are they forming them? Machines? By hand?

And in the second to last set of pictures, where the man is working on the modern inner door panel and is using some chasing tooling and the hammer.

Is he forming the pockets/depressions/swages (not sure exactly what to call them) by directly hammering into the buck?

Or is he cleaning them up after forming them? Is the material aluminum?

The buck material in those pics appears to be some sort of hard foam?
                              Well Chris.... I can tell you this, unless my friend on the photo's has a Buck for each of those models (which I do not think so) ......But I could ask him , ....all the edges would be turned by hand with special adapted tools that he would have made, or have been supplied by Ferrari. As far as the impression on the door frame , If you look carefully the panels are well clamped on to the buck, by using the right chasing tools made out of plastic or wood you can do a nice job providing that the buck is made out of proper material which in this case is also supplied by Ferrari , I would say that the material used for the buck is some sort of hard resin that can take a hit without moving or cracking .May be someone here might share a light in what those back are made out of.... they could be made also out of some special solid fiberglass?? And Yes the panels are made out of alluminium
                              Peter T.

PS By the way as far as I know all of those bucks are made for prototype Ferrari 's
                              Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-03-21, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X