Austin Healey rear guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joeswamp View Post

That's actually kind of shocking, because it looks like you're about 95% done. I would have guessed another couple hours to weld and metal finish the two pieces together, then maybe a few hours to finish off the edges/flanges. (a few hours for you, not for most folks ;-) What's the biggest task in the last 30 hours?

This Healey guard is truly one of your best video series Peter. I like how it goes in order of difficulty -- you start out making a simple bulbous panel and showing how to keep control, but by the end you're doing precision fine tuning of a reverse, which I still don't fully understand but keep watching. Was interesting you were able to do that without flipping the panel over.
    Joeswamp

Most of the time (depending on the shape of the panel ) shaping it up with the blocking hammer and get it close does not take long , BUT the finishing with the wheel then turning flanges requires a bit of time...... (example )....... the rear part of the guard has a very round section ,when trying to turn a edge at the angle required takes a lot of work simply because the panel will start to misbehave as you try to turned and shrink it , then the problem is keeping that line nice and sharp and most important not to lose the shape . Then you have holes to consider (where the bolts go trough) ,then you have the wire around the wheel arch ,THAT is going to take sometime as well ,not to mention the metalfinish once all repairs and welding are done etc etc ..........So you could say that it would take 6 to 8 hours to get the guard shape up then a few more to smooth it off , possibly 3 hours to weld it together the rest (BEST PART OF 20 H to do the rest explained above So you could say that between 36 and 40 hours for the whole job is a reasonable time .
    PRICE ?........ $ 100 AU per hour . Total cost $ 4000 AU......... or there about , material NOT INCLUDED

PS there are different types of reverse , on some.... yes you do need to flip the panel over , but not required on this type
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 26-03-21, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post

Now your talking I like that idea
      So john what are Tim Tams???? I am in the USA

David ....... TIM TAMS ? BLOODY DELICIOUS !!!! You should try some LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi john View Post
        Hi Pete,

If I popped in with a packet of cigarettes and some Tim Tams would I be able to take a copy of your templates and paper pattern ? I would like to try to duplicate what you have done by following the tutorial only. ( and not improvising with the bad habits I have absorbed over the years )

Maybe if a few others were to do the same we could have a little competition where we post the progress and the person that follows your methods the closest wins a small prize. Perhaps a Handbuilt hammer ? ( or a cast wheel or air hammer ? )
        WHAT A FANTASTIC GOOD IDEA !!!!!!!!!!

If you are serious about it ?.....................

We will send you the templates for all patterns + blank template ,...... Cost .... about 10 /15 AU ( over seas postage only ) then you practice and make the guard ,then we will have the best results ( for beginners ) ....... And best results ( for advance experience ) ...the prize ?..... I will think about something
        Peter T.
        Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 26-03-21, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'd say we need at least 5 volunteers for the Healy Guard Tim Tam Challenge. just need 4 more to take up the challenge. You will need to put up a hammer for the prize Pete, and maybe a video of how to sip coffee through a Tim Tam.. I'm in Neil can't be in as he has had private tuition and he is a Pom and wouldn't appreciate the delicacy. Yorkshire pudding is probably his limit..... Probably Richard too as they speak the same lingo !!!

Comment

• neilb
            neilb commented
            Editing a comment
            i prefer uk penguin biscuits, they are far better i think. i do love a good yorkshire pudding though toad in the hole is even better... if you like bacon (i don't eat it) you could have a pigs in blankets toad in the hole!!!? lol

PS David and Chris. If you don't know what a Tim Tam is I would suggest you import some then secure the distribution rights in the US. money in the bank !!!!!

Comment

I'm in.

Pugsy

Comment

I'll shout the postage Pugsy ! Hows the project going ?

Comment

YES!!!! Let's called ''the tim tam challenge '' LOL
                Peter T.

Comment

Count me in on the challenge.
                  I have a 1960 BT7 Healey here in the garage so I can make my own patterns and profiles.
                  So that will save Peter a little work.

Peter are you planing on showing turning the flange on the Healey guard??? or doing the wired edge????
                  Last edited by Blue62; 27-03-21, 03:43 PM.
                  David Bradbury

Comment

Count me in on the challenge.
                    I have a 1960 BT7 Healey here in the garage so I can make my own patterns and profiles.
                    So that will say Peter a little work.

Peter are you planing on showing turning the flange on the Healey guard??? or doing the wired edge????
                    David I probably will if time permits , at the moment there are a few projects that I must finish, and also dvd N 11 which is currently been filmed . I would say that I created too many things to do but slowly I will get them all done
                    Peter T.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post

David I probably will if time permits , at the moment there are a few projects that I must finish, and also dvd N 11 which is currently been filmed . I would say that I created too many things to do but slowly I will get them all done
                      Peter T.
                      Peter please put me on the list for dvd N11.
                      David Bradbury

Comment

Peter please put me on the list for dvd N11.
                        No problem
                        Peter T.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi john View Post
                          I'll shout the postage Pugsy ! Hows the project going ?
                          The project is on hold while I paint the El Camino over the winter. It should be back in the garage in June. I'll be chopping the top off then.
                          Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by neilb View Post
                            i prefer uk penguin biscuits, they are far better i think. i do love a good yorkshire pudding though toad in the hole is even better... if you like bacon (i don't eat it) you could have a pigs in blankets toad in the hole!!!? lol
                            You fellas sure do talk funny.....ha......
                            Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post

You fellas sure do talk funny.....ha......
                              you never had pigs in blankets? (that's sausage wrapped in bacon)
                              thanks neil

Comment

Working...
                              X