Austin Healey rear guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post

Part 2 should be ready soon (I think in a couple of days ) .....there is also a part 3
    Cheers
    Peter T.

PS I think that if you can follow the video carefully step by step you will do OK next time
    Great No. 2 Peter .... So natural....👍
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post

Great No. 2 Peter .... So natural....👍
      N 2 B is out as well
      Peter T.

Comment

Peter,
        Great video's.
        I have heard you mention many times that you are going to adjust a panel or move a line or a feature.
        Now I see how you do it. Great demonstration you have given me more confidence just by being able to watch and listen while you do this guard.
        Great beginning on the reverse on the dogleg piece you make it look easy. Looking forward to the next video.
        Thanks for filming and posting them.

P.S. your wide flippers appear to be made from farriers files, horseshoer files am I correct?
        David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
          Peter,
          Great video's.
          I have heard you mention many times that you are going to adjust a panel or move a line or a feature.
          Now I see how you do it. Great demonstration you have given me more confidence just by being able to watch and listen while you do this guard.
          Great beginning on the reverse on the dogleg piece you make it look easy. Looking forward to the next video.
          Thanks for filming and posting them.

P.S. your wide flippers appear to be made from farriers files, horseshoer files am I correct?
          thanks David the reverse is easy I bet that if you where to do that panel 20 times and each time you make a mistake you was to correct it on the next one you will find at the end the same panel will be easy . NOT ONLY THAT! but you will be able to go back to the bad ones and correct them that is why I always say practice and practice.

I use a few type of flippers , they are made out from normal steel case hardened , . some out from spring steel ,and yes some made out from farriers files ..they all different and for for a particular job...... example ..

The steel ones have teeth or polished and they are heavy (for steel and ally work ) . The ones made out of spring steel are polished and mainly used on alluminium , the one made out from farrier files have 90% of the teeth taking out and they are light

Cheers
          Peter
          PS we also have alluminium hammers , the same used by Italians to put low crown on panels prior to wheel them .
          You might have some flippers (slappers ) already,..... BUT if you need a particular type?? We have them in stock , they are all a different price
          Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 14-03-21, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	368F6427-78F1-441D-A118-CB6087953A56.png
Views:	75
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	5627

N 2 B is out as well
            Peter T.
            Great Filming Peter & Team, Learning how to make a metal move to your advantage in the right order ....can take years to master.😉😉🥂👍
            Last edited by Moving molecules .; 14-03-21, 10:08 AM.
            https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Peter,
              I understand your doing the Healey guard in aluminum.
              Have you had any problems with work hardening???
              Have you annealed the panel at all???
              Do you do anything different in making this panel if it were cold rolled???
              Thanks.
              David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
                Peter,
                I understand your doing the Healey guard in aluminum.
                Have you had any problems with work hardening???
                Have you annealed the panel at all???
                Do you do anything different in making this panel if it were cold rolled???
                Thanks.
                David ..
                I only anneal the alluminium when it's needed , in this case because of the shape and by using 5000 series it did not need it , yes in some cases one needs to anneal but not in this one . if I was to do it in steel , the process would be the same just a bit harder to block and shrink , but the wheeling would be the same or perhaps a touch more pressure on the wheel (JUST A TOUCH !)
                Peter T.

Comment

Great stuff! I am about halfway through video one. May I ask how thick the material is?
                  Thanks Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Murphy View Post
                    Great stuff! I am about halfway through video one. May I ask how thick the material is?
                    Thanks Steve
                    Steve,
                    I asked him that in a post somewhere on the forum .
                    He said it is 5000 series aluminum 1.6 mm thick
                    David Bradbury

Comment

Peter,
                      The latest video on the Healey guard (part 3). is just outstanding.
                      I have watched it three times today LOL.
                      As you know I have attempted that panel several times I was able to do a sort of decent job once but it took me forever.
                      There are a number of things that you have been saying in all your video's that are finally starting to sink into my thick head.
                      Things like opening the panel to work it then closing it to check the shape. I am finally seeing the value of that principal.
                      This particular panel really drives home the idea of opening a panel to work it because this panel is hard to work closed.
                      Especially for a beginner and I was always trying to work it closed.

Another thing you say is let it out or let some shape out.
                      Because I have been doing the shape in shape out exercise lately. Now I get it, now I see what your saying and even better, now I can do it
                      Very valuable thing to know.

Then there is the "you can adjust it" I never understood that idea until this series of video's on the Healey guard.
                      I was always trying to get every line on a finished panel to fall or come out exactly where it had been laid out on the blank with the paper pattern.
                      Hey guess what that"s really hard to do LOL.
                      Now I know there is some latitude, some adjustability actually some forgiveness in shaping a panel.

So now because of these video's I have a greater understanding of how to shape a panel.
                      Also a greatly increased amount of confidence in making a Healey rear mudguard.
                      I am going to do this panel again.
                      But I am going to wait I want to see video N4.
                      Also I am going to change my E-wheel a little bit. It is on a stand just like Yours Peter but with wheels that lock on it so I can move it around.
                      Those caster wheels even when locked still allow a bit of movement.
                      I am going to set it on cinder blocks so the wheels are off the ground. Should be rock solid that way no more movement from the caster wheels.
                      Also I am going to see if I can find some rubber pads to go between the stand and the E-wheel itself.
                      Then maybe I will feel more in my hands when I wheel so I can feel the highs and lows better

Thanks Peter for the video's Fantastic.
                      David Bradbury

Comment

David , even if it takes another 3/4 go at it to get it right ,considered as practice ,it's the best way to learn ,when you think you got it do it again
                        Peter T.

Comment

David , even if it takes another 3/4 go at it to get it right ,considered as practice ,it's the best way to learn ,when you think you got it do it again
                          Peter T.
                          The front piece I am pretty confident that I can do it without to much trouble. After watching your video's I see that I was doing most of it right when I have tried it in the past.
                          Just a few little things I was doing wrong that would trip me up.

The back part I have always tried in two pieces split length ways (line of sight) about two inches above the joggle.After watching your video's I think I will try it just as you did it,one piece. I mean after all you made it look pretty simple. And I have the video's I can pull up at any time. So I will just do as you did step by step. What can go wrong LOL.
                          David Bradbury

Comment

Hi guys here the latest 3 video's on Austin Healey rear guard
                            Enjoy
                            Peter T.

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 23-03-21, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Comment

At the beginning of this video I show the initial start on a E type Jag new front nose panel , the panel been quite large was a bit of a problem on the wheel for one operator ,so I decided to shape it up on the hammer ,I am well in to it by now and still on the hammer and it's coming up very well .I will post some photo's at a later date . The repaired bonnet (as seen on the video ) was also quite very badly damaged but did not required a new panel . After the repair it will only require couple of coats of polyester from the paint department .

PS..... the NEW SPRING STEEL polished flippers are now available . for any inquiries about them , please send me a email

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 23-03-21, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X