Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
    Fantastic video peter,
    Don't know if you remember but I have tried to make that panel a number of times.
    Seven or eight times I think and I could never get it right.
    So after watching this video I may attempt another try.
    Nice to have help when you need it thank Niel for us and also thank your camera person for us they did a great job.
    great shop tour the E-type looks great.
    Looking forward to the next video.
    Thanks for all you do for us and take care of the shoulders, we are not getting any younger
    Part 2 should be ready soon (I think in a couple of days ) .....there is also a part 3
    Cheers
    Peter T.

PS I think that if you can follow the video carefully step by step you will do OK next time

Comment

Terrific video. Just watched the whole thing and it really showed me where I went wrong in the past with the crazy tucks and trying to get panels shaping too much, too early.
      Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post

Part 2 should be ready soon (I think in a couple of days ) .....there is also a part 3
        Cheers
        Peter T.

PS I think that if you can follow the video carefully step by step you will do OK next time
        Yes I think with your instructions I have a good chance.
        I see in the video a few places where I went wrong.
        I will let you know how I go.
        David Bradbury

Comment

Hi,
          Great video, I watched it this morning. I need to practice more on where to block during my initial shaping. Thanks for doing the video, looking forward to #2.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Tromblay View Post
            Hi,
            Great video, I watched it this morning. I need to practice more on where to block during my initial shaping. Thanks for doing the video, looking forward to #2.

Bill
            Thank you Bill
            hope to see you soon in the US ............................... ( bloody Covid )

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post
              Terrific video. Just watched the whole thing and it really showed me where I went wrong in the past with the crazy tucks and trying to get panels shaping too much, too early.
              Very good ...that is the idea of this forum
              Peter T.
              PS look out for part 2 (out in a few days) and later part 3

Comment

Great work Peter , but my head is exploding !

So I am only doing 15-20 minutes at a time ,

There are a few times where you are hammering all over the place (26:45 mark) and I do not know why , hopefully by the end I will have figured that out
                Last edited by abarthdave; 07-03-21, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post
                  Great work Peter , but my head is exploding !

So I am only doing 15-20 minutes at a time ,

There are a few times where you are hammering all over the place (26:45 mark) and I do not know why , hopefully by the end I will have figured that out

Dave ..at 26.45
                  .I sometime do that to stop the panel sinking too much while working on the ''spine ''
                  Peter T.

Comment

Top stuff lads - Neil, bloody famous mate
                    Last edited by skintkarter; 09-03-21, 07:42 AM.
                    Cheers, Richard

Comment

Dave ..at 26.45
                      .I sometime do that to stop the panel sinking too much while working on the ''spine ''
                      Peter T.
                      Thanks Peter , I can see you get involved in what you are doing and forget to tell us 'Why" you are doing things , and we thank Neil for helping out

Comment

• neilb
                        neilb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wanted to write 'stunt arm' down my right arm lol

Hi Guys,
                      Here is part 2 A of the Austin Healey rear guard
                      Stay tuned for part 2 B
                      Cheers
                      Peter T

https://youtu.be/0AoSGUEOd5w
                      Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 23-03-21, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Peter- in terms of the rear portion of this guard, how deep is practical in terms of the trailing or inside turned edge? I'm trying to achieve the same general shape on different work.

I understand most motorcycle tanks appear to be made with a single welded seam down the center (underside or tunnel excluded) I would rather make them with that single weld if feasible. Some larger tanks like my Guzzi project would have a maximum top width of approx 12"/30cm, so a half piece would measure 6"/15cm deep. I'm concerned about either too much shrinking along the edge or too much stretching & thinning in the blocked area.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post
                          Peter- in terms of the rear portion of this guard, how deep is practical in terms of the trailing or inside turned edge? I'm trying to achieve the same general shape on different work.

I understand most motorcycle tanks appear to be made with a single welded seam down the center (underside or tunnel excluded) I would rather make them with that single weld if feasible. Some larger tanks like my Guzzi project would have a maximum top width of approx 12"/30cm, so a half piece would measure 6"/15cm deep. I'm concerned about either too much shrinking along the edge or too much stretching & thinning in the blocked area.
                          ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                          You asked ...............
                          Peter- in terms of the rear portion of this guard, how deep is practical in terms of the trailing or inside turned edge? I'm trying to achieve the same general shape on different work

Sorry Cliff I am not sure I am understanding your question ................... may be if you could post some examples , I could then answer your question
                          Cheers
                          Peter T.

Comment

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                            You asked ...............
                            Peter- in terms of the rear portion of this guard, how deep is practical in terms of the trailing or inside turned edge? I'm trying to achieve the same general shape on different work

Sorry Cliff I am not sure I am understanding your question ................... may be if you could post some examples , I could then answer your question
                            Cheers
                            Peter T.
                            Easy pics at hand are of this RD350 seat I've not had time to work on lately. I made the rear hump in three pieces (two seams, each placed along the corner/radius) instead of making it in two pieces (one seam along center of hump)-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9254.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	5615

Name:	IMG_9253.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	5616

I did this as practice for my Guzzi tanks because the shape is very similar to the rear half of the Guzzi tank. I wasn't sure if I could do a seam along the center of either this seat hump or the tank and shrink/stretch appropriately to produce a good result.

Watching how you produced the rear guard, especially how far you were able to turn the very rear portion of the guard with clean results, makes me want to do the hump & tank in the future with a single seam. Looks like doing the seat this way with a single seam -by blocking along the radius like the rear guard with only minor tuck shrinking along the seam edge- may not be too much of a problem. For the tank, I would expect the roughly horizontal portion from blocked radius to weld seam along top of tank of the part to be up to approx 6"/15cm which is much wider.

Before I just make scrap, I wanted opinion about the longer distance between the blocked area and seam edge.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post

Easy pics at hand are of this RD350 seat I've not had time to work on lately. I made the rear hump in three pieces (two seams, each placed along the corner/radius) instead of making it in two pieces (one seam along center of hump)-

Name:	IMG_9254.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	5615

Name:	IMG_9253.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	5616

I did this as practice for my Guzzi tanks because the shape is very similar to the rear half of the Guzzi tank. I wasn't sure if I could do a seam along the center of either this seat hump or the tank and shrink/stretch appropriately to produce a good result.

Watching how you produced the rear guard, especially how far you were able to turn the very rear portion of the guard with clean results, makes me want to do the hump & tank in the future with a single seam. Looks like doing the seat this way with a single seam -by blocking along the radius like the rear guard with only minor tuck shrinking along the seam edge- may not be too much of a problem. For the tank, I would expect the roughly horizontal portion from blocked radius to weld seam along top of tank of the part to be up to approx 6"/15cm which is much wider.

Before I just make scrap, I wanted opinion about the longer distance between the blocked area and seam edge.
                              Cliff there are a few ways to do the seat panel N (1 ) make the upside down U shape panel then put the cap at the end or N 2 make the top of the seat including the cap in one piece ,then weld the two sides in
                              Peter T.

Comment

• cliffrod
                                cliffrod commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks, Peter. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
                            Working...
                            X