Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Dino Ferrari Front Nose Panel

Hi Guys,
    Here's part 1 of the making of the Ferrari nose panel.

Peter: This was very informative and interesting. Thanks to you and Neil.

Comment

Hi Jim how are things up there ? How is the body holding up .Hope to see you soon
      Peter T.

Comment

• jhery
        jhery commented
        Editing a comment
        Today is my 65th birthday and my body is letting me know. My Eckold Piccollo is in transit and should be here next week. I have 12 bodies to build from scratch, either my design or from renderings and photographs. I will post some pictures when I have the time to learn how to do it on this site. Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by jhery View Post
      Peter: This was very informative and interesting. Thanks to you and Neil.
      me! i was just filling in until a metalshaper could be found lol

great video though
      thanks neil

Comment

• jhery
        jhery commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't sell yourself short.

Great information, Peter. A primary goal of mine is to better understand & predict the consequences of what I am doing to the metal, not just the immediate results. I've got a lot to learn.. Thank you for this video.

Nice to to meet you, Neil!

Comment

• neilb
        neilb commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you, nice to meet you too lol

Neil I think you cutting your self short...... You are a good shaper Not many people that I know can do what you are doing on your Porsche in such short time
      Peter T.

Comment

Peter,
        Very good and informative video. I have watched it twice so far I will watch it several more times Lot of info there in that 40 minute time span.
        Thanks for making it. looking forward to part 2.
        David Bradbury

Comment

Peter,
          I'll never forget the time you had me trying to pull down on one side of the panel and also pulling down front to back at the same time in my garage. LOL, what a clod I was!

There is so much sublety to wheeling - the wheel looks like such a simple machine - but it is deceptive, well, I guess it IS simple the way some people use it! Ha Ha.

ken

Comment

I will say, while we were wheeling up that panel, I was watching the playback and checking how I was pulling down compared to Peter. having 2 people matched in height is important as wheeling itself, peter is proficient at wheeling, I'm not. so i was studying how far Peter was pulling down as to how far i was, and trying to match him. the small twist that is in will be down to me, but it still sits level on the bench, so it's able to be wheeled out.

enjoyable to do, and I always learn something
            thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
              Neil I think you cutting your self short...... You are a good shaper Not many people that I know can do what you are doing on your Porsche in such short time
              Peter T.
              thank you, you know me Peter, modest and understated lol.

as I said to you before, everyone is better than me, until they prove otherwise
              thanks neil

Comment

Excellent video Peter.

Thank you.
                Pugsy

Comment

Very informative video Peter. Neil, it looks to me like you know what you are doing.

Peter, I want to know more about setting the initial pressure and the tracking width. If you have a piece of metal that is .040" thick, and you set the upper and lower wheels at that .040" thickness, what part of a turn would be needed to start wheeling? I remember that you said after that point no more than 1/4" wheel adjustment would be needed. What would you estimate that the tracking width should be for initial wheeling.

Thanks again to both you and Neil for taking the time to post that video.

Comment

Originally posted by RockHillWill View Post
                    Very informative video Peter. Neil, it looks to me like you know what you are doing.

Peter, I want to know more about setting the initial pressure and the tracking width. If you have a piece of metal that is .040" thick, and you set the upper and lower wheels at that .040" thickness, what part of a turn would be needed to start wheeling? I remember that you said after that point no more than 1/4" wheel adjustment would be needed. What would you estimate that the tracking width should be for initial wheeling.

Thanks again to both you and Neil for taking the time to post that video.
                    Will I usually start with just a little pressure just to brake the grane then when a full run is made I just turn the wheel just a bit at the time if the panel is held on the wheel the right way, and using full radius anvils, you can immediately see the shape appearing ...from there just adjust the turning wheel about 3/5 mm each time , you will feel when you are squeezing too hard ...it just does not feel right, the quarter of a turn is the max pressure you will need once the lower anvil and the top wheel are touching the metal , that pressure is used when blocking with the wheel. So... to start with, just make contact with the metal, then turn the wheel about 3/4 mm start wheeling . after the first path simply squeeze the wheel just a touch more , repeat the same till it feels OK ...
                    From 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the turning wheel that is when the pressure it's about at is max ...that amount of pressure I use only when blocking . Then of coarse the high the crown the less you squeeze
                    Peter T.
                    PS As far as the tracking width just experiment with a bit of alloy ( like I did on the video) ..it varies depending on the pressure and the type of anvil you use
                    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-20-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by neilb View Post
                        I will say, while we were wheeling up that panel, I was watching the playback and checking how I was pulling down compared to Peter. having 2 people matched in height is important as wheeling itself, peter is proficient at wheeling, I'm not. so i was studying how far Peter was pulling down as to how far i was, and trying to match him. the small twist that is in will be down to me, but it still sits level on the bench, so it's able to be wheeled out.

enjoyable to do, and I always learn something
                        Yeah, I could see that you were causing all the problems Neil... Good vid chaps
                        Cheers, Richard

Comment

Working...
                        X