Railway track for dollys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway track for dollys.

I make bunch of my own dollys. Here it’s called rail road tracks. In other places it’s railway track. It’s been hot and cold and compressed by trains for years easy to get here. I have about 400 feet of it behind my garage. When I was a kid in the 1970’s. Guy in my town told me I’d need to make most of my tools since their wasn’t much available.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2409.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	6682

What’s your favourite Dolly.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Where are the dollys you made? If they are in there I can't see them. What's the point of starting a thread and then just posting a pic of one of the drawers of your toolbox?

Comment

I always have made some type of dolly or bars for specific jobs....and still do
        Peter T.

Comment

I didn't mean for my post above to sound harsh. Not my intention. Sorry if it did to you Sir.

Comment

• Ron Kirkpatrick
            Ron Kirkpatrick commented
            Editing a comment
            I was in the military over 20 years and married 4 times. I’m immune to harsh lol

I was studying the pics and wondering which ones were old track, too. Just curious because I make as much as I can.

I also wondered if there are different hardness or grade of track. I got a section of small track, probably an industrial-use part for transporting items within a factory or similar & not actual "train track", at a metal event a few years ago. Excellent dolly size, but It's really hard stuff. It saws ok with my bandsaw, but is very difficult to grind and finish to a high polish. Coarse grinding works ok, but eliminating the marks with finer grit is not a particularly cost effective process.

Comment

• Ron Kirkpatrick
            Editing a comment
            Here we have two types. Narrow gauge is smaller I used standard size. My garage is along river railway system so easy to get

Leaf springs make great dollies as well as slappers/flippers.I have made several low crown dollies with thick leaf springs. The thinner leaf springs I have made several slappers/flippers with those. Lots of uses for leaf springs.

Ron what on earth are you going to do with 400 feet of track!

Comment

• Ron Kirkpatrick
            Editing a comment
            Didn’t think railway would miss it I got both sides.

Ron, I hope that RR track is in small chunks, the bigger piece I have is 70lbs for 18 inches!

Comment

Working...
          X