Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flobalop Little Wheel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by skintkarter View Post
    . Still plenty to do and no doubt the anvil storage trays planned (down low and either side of the upper frame) with oil baths will take me twice as long as I think. I did make one for the large machine and I'm pleased that I did. Keeps all the shop crap away from them and there is no issue with surface rust as I find on the swage dies.
    ]
    This.. Tell me more or maybe a pic? Makes sense but sounds like it would end up being a sloppy mess around my world, not counting making heavy & nicely polished anvils more slippery and easier to drop....

    Comment


    • skintkarter
      skintkarter commented
      Editing a comment
      Cliff, they just sit suspended in maybe 1/2" of used lathe oil and when I return them to storage just give them a quick spin to coat. When I lift them out by the ends, I have a rag in the other hand to give them a quick wipe and then give them a further wipe when they are spun in the cradle.

  • #17
    Cliff, here are a couple of shots of the die storage and oil bath for my larger wheel. They sit in maybe 1/2" of used lathe oil (Telus 46) - just enough so that when I return them to storage (because there is lots I do with crap flying around the shop) I just give them a spin and they self coat.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_145547.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	3687

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_145619.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	3688
    Cheers, Richard

    Comment


    • #18
      Originally posted by skintkarter View Post
      Cliff, here are a couple of shots of the die storage and oil bath for my larger wheel. They sit in maybe 1/2" of used lathe oil (Telus 46) - just enough so that when I return them to storage (because there is lots I do with crap flying around the shop) I just give them a spin and they self coat.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_145547.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	3687

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_145619.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	3688
      That's terrific. I will have to do this one day.
      Pugsy

      Comment


      • #19
        Lower anvil progress.

        Got the lower anvil blanks machined up. Faced, bored and pocketed one side in the whizzy 3 jaw (has fine adjustment screw which can move it on the faceplate so that the workpiece runs bang on) and took a truing cut off the outside as far as I could. Second side was a matter of setting up in the 4 jaw, indicating on the turned OD by the chuck and on the bore, tapping it around so that the bore ran true. Some you get set up in a couple of minutes and others take an age chasing them back and forth with the DTI. Nice that when I took a facing cut off the second end, measuring across the width at 4 points was equal to within 0.005 mm. So they should run pretty true providing my mandrel idea works out. Only stuffed up one of the blanks with a bearing pocket +0.01 over the bearing size. I'll designate that blank to be my least used anvil - probably the flat one.

        Machined up the anvil mandrel from some 2" shaft and the idea is that the blank gets clamped on a machined step by the chuck, then located by a stepped spacer at the other end and clamped up with a spare 1" UNF nut. All of the dimensions are virtually size for size on the bearing pockets, so again they should spin true.

        Not looking to take full face cuts with a carbide tip, so the friction drive should be enough for the step turning.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_203321.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	3773

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_203235.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	3774
        Cheers, Richard

        Comment


        • #20
          Po Boy's CNC

          Step turned 6 of the blanks for the small wheel and got the R200 one sanded to shape tonight. Covered the blank in layout blue and then sanded until the blue rings just disappeared. Very bad form I know, but used a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, the DA sander with 100 grit, then emery on a file with the whole deal spinning at 960 rpm in the lathe.

          Machined the corner radii just in a series of small flats and then blended by hand with emery on a file.

          Runout when assembled is pretty good at 0.02mm (0.00078") but the crown is slightly off centre when I gave it a test run on a flat panel. Plus it's marking the underside of the panel more than I'd like. Bit more blending with emery on a file I think. Certainly raises up the panel pretty quickly though.

          On the right track I think.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_175722.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	672.5 KB
ID:	3787

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_175741.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	3788

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_154040.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	3789

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_201237.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	3790

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_204618.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	3791
          Cheers, Richard

          Comment


          • #21
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_211322.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	3793

            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_211408.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	647.9 KB
ID:	3794
            Cheers, Richard

            Comment

            Working...
            X