Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chazza View Post
    My Hoosier anvils are full radius.

Years ago when I bought them, I had been reading the great debate on AMS and decided for myself that full-radius was the way to go. This was confirmed later by Peter and I was delighted that I had made the right decision,

Cheers C
    I got suckered by info from guys that knew more than me at the time and I ended up with flats.
    I did have a inkling feeling that something just didn't feel right at the time. Should have followed my gut.
    Oh well. I'm just a hobby guy. Lets see what I can do with em on the upcoming Tim Tam panel.
    Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post

I got suckered by info from guys that knew more than me at the time and I ended up with flats.
      I did have a inkling feeling that something just didn't feel right at the time. Should have followed my gut.
      Oh well. I'm just a hobby guy. Lets see what I can do with em on the upcoming Tim Tam panel.
      here's my take.. Any curved anvil will produce a compound curve. The major problem I see is that a "flat "requires more pressure simply because it has a greater contact patch and will leave 2 parallel marks in each track . The flat area does nothing. The shoulders and beyond are where the action happens. Just go lightly on the pressure. If the panel doesn't slip in its too tight. One of natures anomalies I guess. .. If you run light pressure and consistent wheel tracking the sins can be disguised. I don't think many of us are at the level that we can look at a panel and not forgive a few wheel tracks. In rarefied air it is obvious. But for us mere mortals the very act of being able to actually shape metal is of way more importance than the elite finish.

Most of us are just hobbyists. The fascination in turning out something resembling our desired shape far exceeds our expectation of perfection or excellence. . If you can do a return with flats you are far ahead of the guy with a cast wheel and FR wheels that struggles to do a bulbous shape with accuracy .

I would rather have sh&t tools and knowledge than the inverse.......

Posting your patterns on Tuesday Pugsy. !

Comment

Working...
      X