No announcement yet.

Oxygen-Hydrogen Gas Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, Bill. I'm stacking up too much filler right now and can do much better. right now I'm more concerned about getting full penetration, so trying to manage heat in part with fill rod and it's building too much.

Still, this seems to be a relatively easy welding process now that I've got the kit & method better sorted, probably the easiest welding process I've ever tried in terms of managing heat. Until I blow a big hole because I started sightseeing instead of moving the puddle forward, it's more more like oxy/act welding 1/8" or thicker steel than .063 aluminum. But there's no overheating, tip popping, nothing. Very tractable. I'm looking forward to doing a lot more oxy/hyd welding and hope others here might try it, too.

Comment

Advice for anyone thinking about getting into gas welding, whatever fuel you plan to use-

Yesterday, I finally took the time to weld up at least a foot of cracks in the much-abused tailgate on my nearly 50 yr old pickup using my favorite old torch and oxy/act. After all the effort trying to learn how to gas weld aluminum without blowing holes, gas welding thin crs was very simple. I was outside, in the breeze, welding 18g/19g crs along like I was welding thick metal. If you're on the fence of adding a gas welding rig to your shop to do both crs and aluminum sheet, maybe this will you make some decisions.

Comment

Working...
      X