Gas welding Goggles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Gents we weresupposed to talk about goggles....๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ‘
    But when I was younger somebody (engineer by trade ) said to me ... That you know there is a ruler and a rule , and I think he said the rule was more of an accurate measurement?.

I wish I studied to be an engineer but I didnโ€™t..๐Ÿ˜‰.

but hopefully I know how to use one, and l love old vintage good quality brass measuring devices.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž they are quite expensive but I love them.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

20th's of an inch?
      Never seen that one before.
      Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post
        20th's of an inch?
        Never seen that one before.
        Engineering rulers & tapes are divided by a factor of 10 while still being standard feet or inches. Makes the math a little easier for some things, whether in scale on paper or in real life. I've got a 100' engineering tape but rarely use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
          Click image for larger version Name:	82A19D17-AAAB-408C-9CE2-6F48C2A205DD.png Views:	1 Size:	591.3 KB ID:	4598 Click image for larger version Name:	A4C3F7A3-412B-4583-B1A7-D87128538B08.png Views:	1 Size:	558.2 KB ID:	4597 Thank you all, l have been sending l few Emails to a few Professional people, but because l,m linked to a New metal shaping Company People have been reluctant to reply , but one did and it was David Kirkham and he said Matt I have tried the TM technologies ones and was Ok but too dark for me .... he has some older design???. also uses normal Gas torches... not fancy ones.... which cost a lot ??.... Meco ... Henrob???.

Just found a old video of Joe Stafford( PanelCraft) gas welding with Oxy/ Hydrogen Welding.
          He likes it because itโ€™s a cleaner weld and welding temperature is closer( lose term) to the melting temp of Aluminium?.
          He has the Henrob torch/ light weight hoses.

Would be very grateful if Peter gives us a very small Insight into his world of gas welding.

many thanks Matt... United Kingdom.๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง

Matt just ask away on the subject of ally welding, I will be happy to answer what I know about ally welding and how I do it.
          Peter T.

Comment

Thank you Peter, This means a lot.....

l also would like to teach our young apprentice.... on this temperamental welding technique.๐Ÿ‘
            https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

This is the DVD I was mentioning. Kent goes into a LOT of detail. It's well worth the money. 2 DVD set. Like 4+ hours of info.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...-difficult.php

Here is the first DVD he did some years ago. Very good especially for someone with no prior experience.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...g-aluminum.php

Both of them are well worth the money. With no other instruction but these two DVD's, they took me from a complete novice at aluminum to being competent at welding AL sheet. (no small task)

Comment

I have only admiration for Kent and particularly his generosity in sharing things with us mere mortals on the other channel. I have invested in his Aluminum Welding DVD, his goggles for spectacle wearers (complete with the TM2000 lens) plus a pile of other paraphernalia from him for trying to O/A glue Al.

From a purely personal standpoint I found the goggles quite difficult to use. As my parents said, 'you will go blind' and as it has transpired, spending the last 30 years behind a computer monitor whist making my millions, has in fact depleted my eyesight. I'm sure it's that... End result is that I need cheater lens' in everything.

I've fairly well sorted my tig hat, but Kent's goggles proved to be something of an acid trip as I tried to find the sweet spot of my multifocals.

What I actually fell back to was recommended by UK guru David Gardner and was simply a chainsaw helmet shield thing with a #6 shade shield. The spacious wrap around design didn't replicate an acid trip and I was getting to the point where I was laying down some half decent beads - still using my 400 year old Comet Junior torch. However I really needed to move the front bit of the Group 5 forwards, so fell back to the tig.

Using the cheapshit helmet didn't seem to impede my view of the puddle and frankly I couldn't make out a whole pile of difference between it and Kent's lens. It may transpire that like the TV, it's bad for my eyes, but so have been a lot of things and I'm not doing it 24/7.

My own observation is that there is more to the fluxing and rod thing than anything. I was trying with strips of parent metal, but the filler was too much (I'm using 5005 which I'm told is unforgiving). I've been advised to retry with 1/6mm 4043 which I've yet to try.

Certainly time in the seat, but I'm not sure that the gear is as critical as made out. I've seen locals making Ferrari replicas in chook sheds with less than optimal gear.

All I've worked out so far is that you need a much bigger tip than you think, go like hell and use bugger all filler rod.

More seat time required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1732.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	4623
                Last edited by skintkarter; 13-11-20, 09:28 AM.
                Cheers, Richard

Comment

• Moving molecules .
                  Moving molecules . commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Richard, great post.... Interesting experiences about your TM goggles, have just started wearing No.1 Glasses... David is in Southampton so I might message him.....
                  I donโ€™t mind buying the best .... as long as it works for each individual.
                  I have an old BOC welding book dated 1943 and they recommend mixing the flux with methylated spirits ?. Have only had maybe 5 hours welding time at my last place of work Prestige Paintworks.... but my boss did not work well with me...from 7 staff too now 3.

that's not a bad looking glue strip across that ali richard
                thanks neil

Comment

• skintkarter
                  skintkarter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cheers Neil - the #12 tip was a bit fast for me (I did subsequently shear off part of the upper coupon, so heat soak was not the main issue) but I need to play with different and more uniform filler. I'd ended up with a rectangle of 1.6 from the sheet, so not ideal when you are starting out.

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post

Engineering rulers & tapes are divided by a factor of 10 while still being standard feet or inches. Makes the math a little easier for some things, whether in scale on paper or in real life. I've got a 100' engineering tape but rarely use it.
                Thanks....
                Pugsy

Comment

Working...
                X