Gas welding Goggles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas welding Goggles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	47657415-D9EA-423D-9667-36BA86C3CE2F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	4585 Click image for larger version  Name:	041B3C28-55E5-44D2-8E19-E36E8ACAEC47.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	4584 Hi Gents, what’s your favourite Gas welding Goggles for Steel and for Aluminum.

l was giving some cool old Steel welding goggles today.... 1950,s ???.

they were going to be thrown in the bin.

looking for some new Aluminum gas welding goggles....🧐.
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 09-11-20, 08:40 PM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

TM2000 filters out the orange flare from the flux when welding Aluminum. Works well with steel too. Safe for your eyes as well. Pricey but worth it. With Aluminum welding the old cobalt styles lenses are not safe for your eyes. Long term use can result in cataracts and other eye damage. My eyes are worth what the TM2000 costs.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...lding-lens.php

Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 10-11-20, 12:31 AM.

Comment

cost is irrelevant when it comes to health and safety, pardon the pun but i never blinked twice when i bought my miller tig helmet, having spent some time on ebay over the years the one thing i did notice is that i never saw any eye's my colour for sale....
      thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
        TM2000 filters out the orange flare from the flux when welding Aluminum. Works well with steel too. Safe for your eyes as well. Pricey but worth it. With Aluminum welding the old cobalt styles lenses are not safe for your eyes. Long term use can result in cataracts and other eye damage. My eyes are worth what the TM2000 costs.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...lding-lens.php
        Chris ,
        i do not disagree with you, or neither I am eye doctor, BUT .... I have been using cold bolt lenses for most of my time in panel shaping business and at 66 I have no problems with my eyes.
        I do think that the Tm 2000 are good and safe lenses, but they are also only a money spinner,....... It's also true that the old cold bolt lenses can effect some people eyes... but to my knowledge one would have to use them 4 / 6 or more hours per day for 30 or more years, and that is NOT going to happen in our game,...... Meaning one would only use them about 20 times per Year and only perhaps for half or 1 an hour between taking and welding ? Further more my old teacher now 87 has used cold bolt lenses all of his life and his eyes are still OK . Also it's best to use the green lenses for welding steel,and the blue ones for ally only.

I believe that the TM lenses are $ 200 US, ? NOT sure ? .. The old cold bolt lenses are about $ 75 AU, and the complete glasses with lenses + attachment for people wearing glasses are $130 AU.
        Peter T.

PS this is NOT a sale pitch on my behalf ........ only my opinion
        Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 10-11-20, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Good info Peter.👍 I based what I said on talking to Kent White and an Eye Doctor I got to know after he did surgery on my eye (grinding mig welds and a 8 mm long sliver of steel lodged in my eye....not fun.) Asked the eye doctor (older gent) and that was what he told me, which backed up what Kent said. Your point about the amount of time is a good one. But I believe if one can afford it, getting the best protection you can is a good idea. That and the fact the lens filters out the flare better than cobalt style (for me at least) which I tried before buying the TM2000.
          Wasn't trying to come across as a know it all, just sharing my opinion.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	82A19D17-AAAB-408C-9CE2-6F48C2A205DD.png Views:	1 Size:	591.3 KB ID:	4598 Click image for larger version  Name:	A4C3F7A3-412B-4583-B1A7-D87128538B08.png Views:	1 Size:	558.2 KB ID:	4597 Thank you all, l have been sending l few Emails to a few Professional people, but because l,m linked to a New metal shaping Company People have been reluctant to reply , but one did and it was David Kirkham and he said Matt I have tried the TM technologies ones and was Ok but too dark for me .... he has some older design???. also uses normal Gas torches... not fancy ones.... which cost a lot ??.... Meco ... Henrob???.

Just found a old video of Joe Stafford( PanelCraft) gas welding with Oxy/ Hydrogen Welding.
            He likes it because it’s a cleaner weld and welding temperature is closer( lose term) to the melting temp of Aluminium?.
            He has the Henrob torch/ light weight hoses.

Would be very grateful if Peter gives us a very small Insight into his world of gas welding.

many thanks Matt... United Kingdom.👍 🇳🇿🇬🇧
            Last edited by Moving molecules .; 11-11-20, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Chris_Hamilton
              Chris_Hamilton commented
              Editing a comment
              Get in touch with Kent White of TMTechnologies. He will answer any questions you may have. He also has an excellent DVD on the subject. Worth the money.
              https://www.tinmantech.com/

I have the Meco, Cobra/Dillion/ Henrob, and the Smiths AW torch. Meco's aren't expensive really. With the regular tips the flame is a bit harsh. Kent White has some new tips that help that some. Smith (formerly Smiths) AW torch is a small conventional bodied torch. I like that torch a lot. Henrob, Cobra Dillion is expensive and heavy. Although the Cobra that I have has some excellent cutting attachments. Think it all comes down to personal preference. Main thing is you want a small torch that has tips in the size you need.

Comment

First , I do not know anything !

But are there other industries that need to cut the "orange" glare when welding or doing other work ? Lab work or ????
              if there is , what do they use ?

Its weird to me that Kent White is the only one in the last 20 years to sell these , maybe it is a "magic" combination , or maybe the market is so small ,
              but you would think Eastwood , Frost and all the others retailers would want to sell them too ,

Always interesting to hear other ideas .......Thanks

Comment

Kent patented his TM2000 lens around 1990, so it's proprietary & likely the reason the same product is not available elsewhere. I understand the TM2000 lens was a significant part of of his greater transition into product and educational sales.

I've had mine for 20 yrs and use it for steel & alloy- no regrets. The darkness of some welding lens/helmet issues can be related to the change in focal length as your eyes age. Too close and I can't seen anything anymore. It's all dark dark, even with extra lighting. Move my head back and it's like someone turned on the lights. I'm 53 and realized this issue about 3-4 yrs ago. Just something to think about, especially if reading, magnifying cheater or prescription bifocal glasses help you see in general.

Torch choice is a personal decision that to me includes what will work vs what is still supported. There was lots of consolidation of companies producing gas welding equipment in recent decades. This eliminated a lot of options. As long as the tip/flame is the right size, the gas torch behind it is somewhat unimportant if you are comfortable welding with it. it's just a drag to have a good old torch that is no longer supported, like my favorite old Concoa 750 that I bought new & learned with. Finding tips or rebuild parts on ebay or ?? can be a long slog and not always cheap. If time is no issue, that's ok but not when you're working for a living and need a part. At some point, the costs match or surpass a new rig regardless of the time involved. I collected needed tips for my Concoa. When I was finally found a good deal on a Meco this summer, I got one. The Meco Midget is still/currently fully supported via Kent's efforts according to him and seem likely to be for the foreseeable future. That's a primary reason why I've wanted one. The forward adjustment knobs were the other reason.

Comment

Here is the patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5170501A/en

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post

But are there other industries that need to cut the "orange" glare when welding or doing other work ? Lab work or ????

Its weird to me that Kent White is the only one in the last 20 years to sell these , maybe it is a "magic" combination , or maybe the market is so small ,
                    but you would think Eastwood , Frost and all the others retailers would want to sell them too ,

Well put.... yes the Market is quite small but growing very slowly as more and more realise that in some instances gas welding aluminium has many advantages....
                    In certain applications.
                    I don’t mind getting TM technologies products it’s just I have to import them all the time .... and in the UK will slap on import duty.

🤔
                    well the patent Certainly thrashes out the facts.👍
                    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 11-11-20, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post

After reading this thread and seeing the patent is expired, someone will try to copy it.
                      The cat's out of the bag.
                      Pugsy

Comment

• abarthdave
                        abarthdave commented
                        Editing a comment
                        patent expired years ago.....

The thought is that this many years later there might be an update / better way to design this style lens , and maybe make it better ,

Nothing against Kent White , his stuff is great ,

the patent is very detailed , more than most.....

If your labor and what you create is only worth the absolute lowest price from china, buy cheap shit. That's what they want and why they sell it. It isn't free trade or a favor to the rest of the world. It is a determinant policy of economic warfare to put as many producers and experts in other places out of business forever. Then there will be no other source. It won't matter until it's your job. Then it will be too late. Among many other specialties, china has decimated my stone industry and craft over the past 20 yrs.

That's why I bought an English wheel from Peter, a TM2000 lens & Meco bits from Kent, would not buy an chinese bead roller to modify, etc, etc. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Just don't bitch when that quick bargain now costs a lot more later.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9CB5D1BB-9FBD-43A6-950E-C5FB44DA7EDF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	4607 Click image for larger version  Name:	13E8156D-B88E-46C4-A2A0-6723D53B7670.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	4608 Click image for larger version  Name:	10570D03-51B5-4B93-A2EF-704220F53183.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	4609 Click image for larger version  Name:	9A6DAA44-33A5-40B0-A668-1D609EC570B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	4610 He,s not happy that Cliff, l,m with you about Chinese rubbish ..... no one should buy that.
                        Un knowingly by me young Toby has just a new Ruler.
                        Here is said Ruler.
                        Last edited by Moving molecules .; 11-11-20, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	9CB5D1BB-9FBD-43A6-950E-C5FB44DA7EDF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	4607 Click image for larger version Name:	13E8156D-B88E-46C4-A2A0-6723D53B7670.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	4608 Click image for larger version Name:	10570D03-51B5-4B93-A2EF-704220F53183.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	4609 Click image for larger version Name:	9A6DAA44-33A5-40B0-A668-1D609EC570B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	4610 He,s not happy that Cliff, l,m with you about Chinese rubbish ..... no one should buy that.
                          Un knowingly by me young Toby has just a new Ruler.
                          Here is said Ruler.
                          This ^^ example may be a manufacturing flaw but double check the actual hash marks on the two rulers to each other. They look close, if not correct. These are simply different rulers. The difference is that one is cheap & justified or marked to the end- which is a reference point that is easily damaged & lost with use- vs justified by the actual marks that are well protected by a margin on the end of the ruler. My stone-cutting grandfather would literally punish me if I used a ruler and measured from the end, because it was not guaranteed to be as accurate as measurement taken from within the scale and adjusted as needed (-1" or whatever). In the harsh environment of stone work, that's a fast way to make a permanent mistake.

This is the larger problem of cheap shit from china. When jobs & industry are lost, craftsmen are lost along with their innate familiarity & habitual knowledge of such things. People measure from the end of the ruler, not from within the ruler. (datum line.....) They don't know to do differently, so neither do subsequent workers. Inferior work become more likely, if not normal.

Back to work and happy thoughts...!!

Comment

Working...
                          X