Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-86 Saber tail cone repair.

Hi,

Several weeks ago, I had to repair the tail cone of a North American F-86 Saber. The lower section was damaged in a take off accident, so I cut the whole lower section off and formed new components out of 321 stainless steel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	825.3 KB ID:	3510Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	829.6 KB ID:	3511Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	874.4 KB ID:	3512

Once all if the new parts were made, the assembly was re-assembled with spot welding and Monel rivets where needed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	900.1 KB ID:	3513Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	897.7 KB ID:	3514

Because of the jet engine thrust, pushing thru the tail cone, the lap seems needed to be as tight as possible with significant structure to prevent a "in flight" failure.

All shaping was done in the Peter Tommasini English wheel and my Pullmax machine. Stainless is a pain to work with, I'm happier working with aluminum.😁😁😁

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Looks great, Bill. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nice panel Bill.... the handbuilt wheel should have handled it ok
      Peter T.

Comment

Top job Bill!
        Cheers, Richard

Comment

Working...
        X