Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1967 Moto Guzzi V700 Corsa-Record

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    i really like the tank buck cliffy, and your approach to dialing it in with the shape. nice to see hand tools
    thanks neil

    Comment


    • cliffrod
      cliffrod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Neil. Lots of talk about scrap metal, but I'm very happy with the relatively small amount of scrap wood on this effort. There's a couple of spots that don't capture specific transitions in the shape. I've thought about make solid inserts for those spots but probably won't at this point. Doing those areas in metal by eye should help it look more spontaneous like the originals.

      It looks great on the bike. Changing the shape (raising the front bottom corner 1 1/2" while leaving the rear bottom corner as is) helps the visual flow. When making the tank bottom parallel to the lower frame rail, I was studying pics and thinking too hard. It makes more sense that the rear of tank, where the petcocks are, would ride lower when installed...

      I'll take & post more pics but right now the shop is a wreck while I'm trying to get it into better shape.

  • #47
    Made a a little progress yesterday while waiting for approval from the current patron. Tried to snatch a pic of the new clip-ons from a website in Italy. But for some reason, it wasn't working... Hopefully they'll be back online after all this chaos settles down. So I got a pic of the same parts from a website in England.


    I had assembled a full set of older tommaselli clip ons and controls for the project, simply because I like them & it would match my V7 Sport. After enough studying old photos, the clip on pattern which I identified as most similar to the original bars used on the Record bikes are clip ons used on some Aermacchi race bikes. Given Tonti's prior experience with Aermacchi, that's probably not a coincidence. It appears the pattern is still available, so plans changed to order a set.

    >

    The perches on these clip ons route cables as parallel to the bars. The late 850GT perches had similar parallel cable routing. most loops, including my original V700 perches, have perches which angle cables back towards the handlebars. That won't work for this effort.. Since I only have one 850GT perch here, I had to make either something or wait until proper bars are finally in hand. I want to move forward with headlight ears and tach mount. So I made some parts to mock up and provide approximate cable orientation.

    Pretty simple. I've already got a pair of spare Magura clip ons on the bike for now. A little bit of scrap oak, some time on the bandsaw, then a gouge & some clean-up on the belt sander and I had a pair of perches.

    >

    >

    I removed the V700 perches and tommaselli grips I had on the bike and installed these wooden perches with a couple of hose clamps. These perches have a drilled cup receiver and are slotted to potentially hold a cable. For now, a simple piece of smooth wire in each perch will suffice.

    >

    >



    They look really big, but are surprisingly close to relevant maximum dimensions of the tommaselli matador perches. Didn't spend much time accurately scaling these parts from the photograph. I just estimated them. They should help a lot. Now it's time to get to work on a pair of headlight ears so I can make the tach mount.

    Comment


    • #48
      Had a little more bike time today around clay model approval & work. I decided that before I drop the spare unobtainium tachometer while futzing with making & fitting a mount, I should mock-up a substitute. Started with a tin can that was conveniently the same diameter, cut it to length and added a pair of mounting studs to match the real tach.

      >

      >

      Then I stepped over to the lathe to make a cap/bezel for this tin can. Figured I would make it long enough to slip it into the can a little and add a few screws. When I realized the handy scrap wood blank was big enough, it only took a few extra minutes to turn up an entire 1:1 scale duplicate oak tach. Should have just done that in the first place.... Now if things go wrong, this one will be lots cheaper to break.

      >

      I'll add the details on the back asap. Good to make some progress.

      Comment


      • #49
        Mock ups can be so satisfying.😊

        Comment


        • cliffrod
          cliffrod commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.. I hadn't planned to do a mock-up for the tach but figured it might avert a bigger problem.
          It will be even better when I get finished with it. Apparently these tachometers weren't "special" when they were new. Now they're not easy to find.

          I have been planning for months to turn a mock-up/hammerform for the reverse cone megaphone muffler shell from oak. No slip roll here. Gluing up a blank to turn is on the short list. Pretty sure I scaled up those dimensions last fall. Now I just need to find them.
      Working...
      X