Aluminium fuel tank for motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium fuel tank for motorcycle

Having made a steel fuel tank for my 1974 Norton Commando I wanted do one from aluminium of a similar style that holds more than the 11 litre standard roadster tank.

I am using 2mm (0.80”) 1100-H-14 and started by marking the base of the standard tank onto a board then widened the front section to give the extra volume. The wireframe buck was then built onto this board.

I mostly used 4mm (0.160”) steel rod for the wireform and pretty well the minimum number of pieces to get the shape I wanted. It was easily bent using a couple of fork ended flat bars and TIG welded together. Once complete the baseboard was removed.

Below the forks used to bend the 4mm steel rod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02768comp.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1820Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02770comp.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1821

Photo below shows how sections were held in place for welding

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02772comp.JPG
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02773comp.JPG
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02774comp.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1824
    The finished wireform is quite rigid and light and has good visibility as the panels are made. I prefer them to a wooden buck.

To be continued.

Great to see some Norton-bound work happening here, Dave. I'm very interested and will be watching.

Comment

Look forward to watching your progress here Dave. I did an Imola style tank for a Ducati trellis frame last year. Lots of work making it avoid all of the gubbins underneath. Finished up at 21 litres

Cheers, Richard
      Cheers, Richard

Comment

Very nice buck work. Keep posting your progress.

Comment

When I made the steel tank it took longer to do the tunnel and underneath than to do the outer surface as it is a complex shape to miss frame tubes and other stuff. But I started this with the outer shape as that’s the fun part. I started with the front RH curved side and due to the thick aluminium being quite stiff I annealed it which allowed it to quickly take shape on the stump, before smoothing on the wheel. The rear of this panel has a flange turned to allow the rear side section to be butt welded. Because I had to move this turned flange a couple of times it ended up badly marked which would be a potential for a crack, so I ran a bead of weld on the inside corner after I had done the butt weld. The outer panels will be gas welded. Please excuse the mess, I work in a 12 foot X 8 foot shed so it is all piled in.

Here is the front section on the wireform, The rear section was also clamped on for welding

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02781comp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	1869

Below shows the bead run into the much abused corner of the flange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02784comp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	16.7 KB ID:	1864

Below the outer weld bead before dressing. I use a dremmel and carbide bit to remove the highs before planishing.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02786comp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	1865

Insde view of the joined panels fitted on the wireform which is upside down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02788comp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	1866

The joined panels after planishing. Far from perfect even after some hours. The metalfinishing takes forever.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02791comp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	1867

To be continued.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by daveh; 10-17-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Looks good Dave, you’re getting there.
            cheers
            steve
            PS forgot to mention Evan Wilcox over on Instagram posts a lot of instructional alloy tank making stuff too.
            Last edited by Steve Murphy; 10-18-2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Looking Good Dave, I will be interested in how your knee locks turn out as Im thinking of doing something similar to My Guzzi.
              Cheers Reedy,

There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8

Comment

Working...
              X