Tuck shrinking on stump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuck shrinking on stump

Probably this is a question for Peter, but others may know.

I'm working on the rear hump halves for the seat on my Guzzi cafe racer. My stump has the tapered horseshoe relief, as Peter taught me. I'm using one of his blocking hammers to raise my wrinkle or tuck to shrink.

Previously, I've just struck the work near the edge to produce the wrinkle at the edge as Peter showed me. I've found that if I first strike a line of hits over a shot bag from the interior of the panel towards the edge & specific location (think of how a radial line of work is produced when using thumbnail dies to shrink), I can stop just short of edge, place the metal over the horseshoe relief, strike a great wrinkle with great accuracy and then make a very good shrink. I' realize I'm both stretching and shrinking, but the shape seems to develop very well and with good control. so far, no bad results in terms of over stretching from what I can tell.

is this a bad habit likely to cause problems down the road?

Cliff what you are doing is quite right, all you need to do is knowing when to do as you explained above, or when to shrink differently by either coming in to the edge of panel or block further in to the middle of the panel and make a bigger tuck .Yes sure there will be some stretching, but if the tuck is closed the right way and then taken down evenly the shrinking will be much much more effective than any stretching you might be doing
    Peter T.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
      Cliff what you are doing is quite right, all you need to do is knowing when to do as you explained above, or when to shrink differently by either coming in to the edge of panel or block further in to the middle of the panel and make a bigger tuck .Yes sure there will be some stretching, but if the tuck is closed the right way and then taken down evenly the shrinking will be much much more effective than any stretching you might be doing
      Peter T.
      Thanks, Peter. Glad to hear it. It helps me a lot with accuracy.

Comment

Working...
      X