Internal shrinking Method.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal shrinking Method.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6334C507-D62F-49C8-B017-A64BADFC5AF9.png Views:	1 Size:	665.9 KB ID:	5791 Saw this on Facebook , the Gent was making a Ferrari Dino lower front panel l think?, anyhow he cuts a pie cut out of a square piece of steel, and then Fusion gas welds it back.

so now it looks like a Chinese hat .... then he puts onto 2 sand bags....1 large and 1 very small one ( in Pic )

Then he blocks in circle blocking towards the middle.....? Shrinking the centre of the panel?

Next the panel is flipped inside out ?.... then he starts Wheeling.

He admits he doesn’t like to shrink on the edges of the panel..... is he performing a internal shrink to make the panel thicker than what it was ??

So when he Wheels the high crown panel it ends up an even thickness.....🧐🧐

this is something I’ve never seen before.... Who taught him this I wonder.
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 27-03-21, 12:08 AM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Has anyone ever seen this method.....

It,s got me thinking 🤔.
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 27-03-21, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Could you share the link?

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	E9A7D672-5534-43D6-B84F-1A38AE23F161.png Views:	0 Size:	626.2 KB ID:	5797 I don’t know how to do it ... but look up Carl at CANCraft..... he is very talented but a bit of a one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7C3D9C62-4D01-4DDB-ACFA-C1F71D9C5718.png Views:	0 Size:	588.7 KB ID:	5796

Comment

Can not find the link ....... can someone smarter then me on the computer find the link and posted (thank you)
          Peter T.

Comment

I found his Facebook page but not the article shown by MM.

If you access Facebook on a desktop computer, the link address can be copied and pasted from the address bar,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

i logged in to assbook but could not find that video in his list of video's
              thanks neil

Comment

I tried to find it too, no joy

Comment

Gents , Carl has done many videos, and this video is a long way down the list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F7F404C0-6A50-4C6E-AD0A-887DC72D6B58.png Views:	0 Size:	473.2 KB ID:	5828
                  It’s the 3.36 minute video 😉

He,s a typical fred in the shed , And has been restoring Ferrari Dino,s for years.

Like I say he’s a bit of a one and possibly couldn’t work with anybody else.

l asked him if l could send up Toby for a bit of training.....

and his response was ; somebody asked me last year , but one of us would die.....( I thought this was very strong seeing that he puts out loads of videos).

strange man/ but talented......

All his skills will die with him........... that’s for sure.🤔🤔🧐

Any how Team check out the video with a open mind to see if it’s a valid method.

making the High crown area of the panel THICKER before you Wheel.....???
                  Last edited by Moving molecules .; 28-03-21, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
                    Can not find the link ....... can someone smarter then me on the computer find the link and posted (thank you)
                    Peter T.
                    Peter once you see the video can you see if it’s a valid old-fashioned method....🤔👍

Comment

Peter T.
                      I could not find it either

Comment

Found how to do it..... excuse the hammer

you might have to rewatch this video because he only speaks at the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
                        Peter once you see the video can you see if it’s a valid old-fashioned method....🤔👍
                        I can see what is trying to do , I use a different method for internal shrinking with a lot less hammering and a lot cleaner having said that it all depends on the shape is trying to make . I think that his idea is not to thin the metal once he makes the bulbous shape, ( he would have to be making a bulbous shape ) because there is not reverse that big on those Ferrari panels . My way of thinking is that , even if the panel he is making was very bulbous he would not loose that much thickness, if I was making that bulbous shape I would not do it that way I would simply shrink the edges and work inwards with my shrinking a bit more . ( less mess to clean up )
                        Peter T.

Comment

its almost April 1st.......am I missing something ?????

but I really like his other wheeling videos........
                          Last edited by abarthdave; 28-03-21, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Moving molecules .
                            Moving molecules . commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dave you got it didn’t you..... it caught my attention.

I can see what is trying to do , I use a different method for internal shrinking with a lot less hammering and a lot cleaner having said that it all depends on the shape is trying to make . I think that his idea is not to thin the metal once he makes the bulbous shape, ( he would have to be making a bulbous shape ) because there is not reverse that big on those Ferrari panels . My way of thinking is that , even if the panel he is making was very bulbous he would not loose that much thickness, if I was making that bulbous shape I would not do it that way I would simply shrink the edges and work inwards with my shrinking a bit more . ( less mess to clean up )
                          Peter T.
                          Was interesting wasn’t it... Carl doesn’t like shrinking on an edge even though it thickens the metal.
                          Maybe he likes the clean edge for welding ( less distortion ??.)
                          Last edited by Moving molecules .; 29-03-21, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X