interesting shape shown soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting shape shown soon

To all of you guys out there I will have a video on a very interesting shape soon keep look out for it
    Peter T.

Peter
    I know you are a very busy person
    But I was wondering how the very interesting shape I am looking out for is coming along
    I enjoy your videos and watch them over and over
    David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
      Peter
      I know you are a very busy person
      But I was wondering how the very interesting shape I am looking out for is coming along
      I enjoy your videos and watch them over and over
      I am going to try to film the video next Saturday It's to do with the Ferrari front guard, with the return shape on the side, and top, and yet round on the door at one end ,and flatter on the front to match the front piece + the whole guard needs to wheeled with a twist . Just Google ''1959 Dino 196 S Ferrari ( Fantuzzi body) you will be able to see the side pics of the car. with the return running in to the door .................... As I said interesting shape!
      Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 05-17-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Peter
        That will be very interesting to see how you go about wheeling up that guard.
        I have a 1960 BT7 that I am working on. I Also have a 1969 E type that I plan on restoring in the future.
        So everything you do on the Ferrari Dino is very interesting to me.
        Looking forward to the video.
        Thanks for the reply and take care.
        Last edited by Blue62; 05-17-2020, 03:08 PM.
        David Bradbury

Comment

Peter,
          I went back and watched your "making and reading paper patterns" part 2 again.
          It showes very clearly what your saying about the return area and overall shape of the front guard of the 196S.
          To me it looks like there are similarites to the shape of a rear guard on an Austin Healey.
          I have tried to make a rear mud guard fo the Austin Healey about 8 times now.
          Have not been able to get it right yet.
          Hopfully your next video on the 196S guard helps me figure out how to do the Healey guard correctly
          Thanks for all you do to help those like me that don't know what the hell we are doing
          Last edited by Blue62; 05-18-2020, 12:38 AM.
          David Bradbury

Comment

David the video should be out by next Thursday watch carefully when I stretch the return on the front edge with the planishing hammer ,then I went on the wheel and by pulling upwards towards the top wheel I stretched the inner edge as well, creating the return , in your case ( making the Austin Healey rear guard) all you need to do is to cut the blank block the main shape in first ( bulbous shape ) but leave the area where the return is going to be , untouched, ( meaning both edges) once that is done open the panel has much has possible then simply stretch the two edges and pull up by using the top wheel has a leverage from the bulbous shape past the return and out the stretched edges, BUT BE SURE TO HAVE A GAP BETWEEN THE WHEELS the edge will get tight again, re tighten the wheel and stretch the edges again, use the same method till the return is DEEPER than needed once that is done simply bend by hand using a pipe or your leg the rest of the blank ( the part that goes down to the sill panel ) . you will get a better idea when you watch the video, follow the same principal,...... but in your case the return is deeper . If the edge is staring to get too thin? Then simply half way trough the stretching ...use the torch heat the area where the return is, NOT THE EDGES .... give a couple of hits and immediately cool it down with water, then go ahead and smooth the area off by working the panel the same way,.... meaning .... from the bulbous shape out to the stretched edge
            Peter T.
            Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 05-24-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter
              I am looking forward to the new video
              The Austin Healey mud guard. Believe it or not I figured out the return area on about the third or forth try.
              I do it pretty much the way you describe.
              But I experience other problems.
              Some of the problems I have are.
              1. Knowing how many parts to make it in as I have no help holding a panel on the wheel so they have to be a size that I can handle alone.
              Which leads to where is the proper place to divide one part of the panel from another.

2. Reading the paper pattern correctly and then following the info it gives me.
              Things like having shrinks in the right spots and shrunk the right amount.
              Or stretch in the right spot and the right amount.
              It's like I am chasing shape around a panel.
              Not having a logical step by step progression to the process.

3. I have problems with getting that last 5-10% of panels fit and finish so to me the panel is not right.
              I get pretty close but just not quite right.

Love seeing your work on the 196S buck.
              The panel fit and finish how you went around it and showed where you need to release this spot, bend that spot.
              ,twist this spot.
              Outstanding teaching and stunning work.
              Last edited by Blue62; 05-25-2020, 12:38 AM.
              David Bradbury

Comment

Working...
              X