X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chazza
    replied
    [QUOTE=Peter Tommasini;n2795]

To get the panel to go flat again, I guess I should stretch the edges. Is there any particular pattern that I should follow?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    To get the panel flat again takes a bit of work , but it must be done slowly, meaning... stretch all edges first till loose , then ... with no pressure on the wheel slowly lift the panel up towards the top wheel BUT ..try not to bite too much at once.
    the secret is to have the right GAP between the top wheel and the lower anvil , you need to do the exercise a few time as the edges will become tight after a few runs, then simply repeat the exercise again til the panel is back to flat again .
    Peter T.
    Thanks Peter, I will give it a go sometime; shed renovations are taking precedence at the moment,

Cheers Charlie

Leave a comment:

• Peter Tommasini
    replied
    [quote]

To get the panel to go flat again, I guess I should stretch the edges. Is there any particular pattern that I should follow?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    To get the panel flat again takes a bit of work , but it must be done slowly, meaning... stretch all edges first till loose , then ... with no pressure on the wheel slowly lift the panel up towards the top wheel BUT ..try not to bite too much at once.
    the secret is to have the right GAP between the top wheel and the lower anvil , you need to do the exercise a few time as the edges will become tight after a few runs, then simply repeat the exercise again til the panel is back to flat again .
    Peter T.

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    commented on 's reply
    No worries Jonmar! Nice to hear from you again,

Cheers Charlie

• johnmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Chazza View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel practice 1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2429

Hello my friends!

I set up the wheel today and decided to have a go at Exercise no. 1, as posted by Jonmar. Photo above.

Things were going well until I increased the pressure and lost control of the shape; the object being to have all four corners resting on the table.

Name:	Wheel practice 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2430
    So corner A and C have remained about 20mm off the table between them. At one stage there was far too much metal gathering on two of the edges, but I managed to get rid of it by stretching inboard.

Any idea on what I should do next? I have tried wheeling diagonally near A and C but nothing happened of any consequence,

Cheers Charlie
    Hi Charlie,

I'm really sorry that I off line since I uploaded the first part of the excersise and I was not able to respond earlier and proceed with writing down the excersies before. I'll try to do this the comming days. The only thing is that I have to digg in my photos as the wheeling machine that I bought was crap and stiffening it did help, but also showed what I already knew: anvils with flats don't work (for me). So I can't re-do the excersises in my garage (yet) and make photos as I go.

Regards,

Johnmar

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Peter.

Cheers Charlie

• Peter Tommasini
    replied
    Aluminium does not like to be wheeled with too much pressure all at once
    Peter T.

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    replied
    Thanks Will.

I am not used to working with aluminium so I often forget about annealling. Once I did that, it was absurdly simple to get it to move where I needed it to.

Leave a comment:

• RockHillWill
    replied
    Keep up the good work Chazza. I am following your post.

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    replied
    That's better.

Name:	Wheel practice 3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2434

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    replied
    Thanks Neil,
    I worked out what is probably the problem – forgot to anneal it!

Yes you are correct, too much pressure would not have helped, I was experimenting.

If I succeed, should I stretch along the edges to get it flat again?

Cheers Charlie

Leave a comment:

• neilb
    replied
    have you tried just to flatten the four sides by hand?

looking at the pic the 2 ends seem to have a different radius to each other, or is that just how the pic is?

not a lot of pressure is needed, technique produces better results

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    started a topic Wheel exercise

Wheel exercise

Name:	Wheel practice 1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2429

Hello my friends!

I set up the wheel today and decided to have a go at Exercise no. 1, as posted by Jonmar. Photo above.

Things were going well until I increased the pressure and lost control of the shape; the object being to have all four corners resting on the table.

Name:	Wheel practice 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2430
    So corner A and C have remained about 20mm off the table between them. At one stage there was far too much metal gathering on two of the edges, but I managed to get rid of it by stretching inboard.

Any idea on what I should do next? I have tried wheeling diagonally near A and C but nothing happened of any consequence,

Cheers Charlie
Working...
X