Peters dvds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peters dvds

Please don't get to upset with me about this and please give honest feedback back don't try to lift up egos please.

So i have watched all of peters YouTube videos and found them informative so more than others but informative as a whole.
    my question is just how good and how detailed in how what and why to do the different things in his paid DVDs?
    i have only ever bought one dvd on metal shaping and I feel like I got hosed.
    the vets isn't horrible it just doesn't teach you anything it's more of a look at me and what I can do dvd.
    the dvd I purchased was David Gardiners dvd I know some people are going to be mad at what I wrote but it the truth or atleast my truth. I do not believe that David's dvd has much of anything to teach me how to do metal shaping.
    now peters YouTube videos have give me some insight especially the flat vs radius and the Ferrari nose but they left some info out perhaps or could have been a bit more why you do this and how but they were informative.
    i just do t want to spend $400 on videos that are going to be like David Gardiners dvd or perhaps leave you guessing on the basic stuff cause I am a newbie so I need it simple for stupid people so I can understand the what why when and how or shaping metal.

so after all that are the peter DVDs worth the cost or am I better off putting that money into some hammers and dollies and sheetmetal to practice or will they save me countless hours of heart ache and aggregation.
    I have the most eye it's not an issue but I don't like to waste money like I did on David Gardiners dvd ( that's my opinion that it's not very educational in the how to sense )

thanks for the replies
    and peter it's nothing personal I just want to get the most info for the investment.

Bearwen,
    Like you I am a novice.
    I also have a collection of metal shaping DVD's by:
    David Gardiner
    Ron Covel
    Wray Schelin
    Kent White
    Peter Tommasini
    With each DVD I think I learned something. No matter who the author.
    But Peter's DVD's for myself are different from the others in that Peter comes across differently.
    Somehow I feel some sort of connection with him when I watch the DVD's.
    Not to mention he still has a bit of an Italian accent while using Australian vernacular.
    Which I find quite entertaining.
    Each time I re-watch one of Peters's DVD's I see something I didn't see before, or I think I understand a concept I didn't get before.
    I think there is knowledge and concepts in Peters DVD's that I will only begin get or understand "after" I have gained a certain amount of ability from practice.
    From time spent learning what the panel,or wheel,or blocking hammer,or dolly,has to say.
    To watch a DVD or video of Peter or anyone blocking out a wheel arch can only impart so much knowledge to the watcher.
    The real learning is in the doing.
    David Bradbury

Comment

I agree completely I just wanted to know if the videos had good detailed information on the how and why.
      like David Gardiners video was nice to watch but very little in the way of teaching you how and I don't want that I want the how and the why.
      geoff moss videos on YouTube I found to be worth so much the ones that bill longyard did where he makes the front fender for the lotus.
      i also learned a lot from peters YouTube videos.
      like I said before I just want good detailed information on the how and why so when I go practice I understand what to do and why even if it doesn't work out because it takes practice but if you practice wrong your wrong.
      so are the dvds as instructive as his YouTube videos?
      are his DVDs like taking a hands on class you just don't get to do hands on with him?
      thats what I am looking for and hoping that his DVDs are basically like if you were in a hands on class that was filmed.
      i wish he had some 10 min or so clips of parts of the dvds to get a good idea of what's in them as far as the information given.
      thanks again for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Bearwen View Post
        I agree completely I just wanted to know if the videos had good detailed information on the how and why.
        like David Gardiners video was nice to watch but very little in the way of teaching you how and I don't want that I want the how and the why.
        geoff moss videos on YouTube I found to be worth so much the ones that bill longyard did where he makes the front fender for the lotus.
        i also learned a lot from peters YouTube videos.
        like I said before I just want good detailed information on the how and why so when I go practice I understand what to do and why even if it doesn't work out because it takes practice but if you practice wrong your wrong.
        so are the dvds as instructive as his YouTube videos?
        are his DVDs like taking a hands on class you just don't get to do hands on with him?
        thats what I am looking for and hoping that his DVDs are basically like if you were in a hands on class that was filmed.
        i wish he had some 10 min or so clips of parts of the dvds to get a good idea of what's in them as far as the information given.
        thanks again for the replies
        Yes there is great info and detail on the how and why in Peter's DVD's.
        Yes they are as instructive as his Youtube videos
        Yes I would say that a great deal of his DVD's are like a hands on class.
        For me there is so much information in his video's that I will still be learning from them years from now.
        Take the fender flair you asked about in your other post.
        after you watch Peter do in on the Monaro panel in the DVD you will be able to do your fender flair no problem.
        After I watched it I did a small example in ali just for practice. Worked out just like Peter showed on the DVD.
        Last edited by Blue62; 10-12-20, 01:55 PM.
        David Bradbury

Comment

Peter's DVD's are worth it. They really are.

Comment

Ok
            Thanks for the replies I just wanted to make sure before I spent the money.

Comment

I'm not a dvd person (yet) nor am I particularly fluent in metalshaping in any way right now.. I am completely confident in what Peter does and offers to us. His time and expertise are extremely valuable. The access he provides and willingness to help us should be remembered when considering the cost of his dvds, tools or other resources. .

Many expert metalshapers- no matter what their experience or skill level- simply don't do what he does or how he does it to help perpetuate this work. That's part of what makes him a Master instead of just an expert.

Comment

The first few DVD's are relatively simple and basic. That is on purpose as he is trying to get the "principles" across and have you understand them. This is important. Watch them in sequence. As you progress in the series he starts doing more complicated things like forming a rust repair panel and gas welding it in. Then a complete door skin and discussion on different types of doorskins and how you would make them. Then in 7, 8, and 9 the quarter panel formed with hand tools and the wheel. In those three you get to see why the "principles" (Peter loves that word) matter and how understanding them is essential to being able to achieve your desired results. Really the info covered in those three is pure gold. Once you understand it you are well on your way. It is important though to watch from the beginning.

I cannot speak to DVD 10 as I don't own it yet but judging from the topics covered it will be well worth it. I do plan on getting it as well.

You can waste a lot of time and money on tools and "gadgets" and still not have any understanding of what you (not you personally) are doing. These DVD's do such a good job of teaching the "principles" and in a way that you can understand. If you get them you will not regret it. Keep in mind too, that this info is coming from a guy who made his living by making panels, not by "teaching" and selling tools and gadgets. Peter didn't start teaching till later in his life and he is still making panels for a living. I don't know what else I can say. I have absolutely no regrets buying the DVD's.

One more thing, if I had found out about Peter or metalshaping when I was 20 I would have gone Australia and begged him to let me apprentice with him. Being in my 40's probably not practical now but that is how much I respect his knowledge. Peter is the "real deal" as are these DVD's.
                Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 10-12-20, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• cliffrod
                  cliffrod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very, very well said, Chris. This part- "Keep in mind too, that this info is coming from a guy who made his living by making panels, not by "teaching" and selling tools and gadgets. Peter didn't start teaching till later in his life and he is still making panels for a living. I don't know what else I can say."- is so important but so often overlooked.

Thank you all for the replies.
                I will be buying the full set very soon.
                I just wanted to be as sure as possible that the dvds were truley educational as appose to many of the other dvds I have seen that were more fluff than training.

Thanks again

Comment

I guess the answer really comes down to "what's your expectation ?" If you are just looking to make a few simple panels for a project then just follow the you tube guys online for free. That's what I did and today I can honestly say it was the biggest mistake I made back then. I wanted to know how to do this stuff and if I had the luxury of hindsight it would have told me that if you place no value on education don't be surprised with the results.

If on the other hand you value your investment, pay for the knowledge and cry once at the expense. rip the band aid off quickly. The pain is the same.. This stuff is an art A science. If you think you can you are going to get the secrets for free , I have a few blocks of land in Florida that I can offer you for an unbelievable price.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but you are asking for a lifetimes worth of knowledge and experience. Your investment will be paid many times over.

I know Peter. I work with him. I trust him implicitly. safe hands

Comment

I remember watching for the first time on Peter's DVD, a demonstration by Tom, on how to shrink a pucker and it was then I said to myself "That is what you must do to make the Land Rover wing." The DVD's are really about watching a technique and In your mind, finding the application on your own project and then practising it.

I am surprised that you find David's DVD so useless. Admittedly, it is aimed at at the beginner, but I found some of his techniques were similar to Peter's and some were different. I think his demonstration of chasing a flat panel around a form clamped to the bench, was excellent.

Both of them make excellent use of the most basic hand-tools and I found all of the DVD's most encouraging,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Bearwen

I usually take the orders for the dvd's ,but my wife does the rest, selecting , Packaging , sending etc ...So I do not know if you brought them or not BUT if you have brought them and think that they are not what you expected , or they not educational , or you do not like them , Send them back and we will refund your money

Having said that , I have sold many hundred of copies all over the World and never had a negative response about them , ( may be I am just lucky LOL)

Cheers
                      Peter T.
                      Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 16-04-21, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I had mine delivered this week. I am already a few episodes in and they are great, worth every cent. Its not about the basic, although those are covered in Peter's DVDs. But you can pick that up anywhere. Its about choosing the correct sequence, things to watch for, finer points that if missed will find you in a hole. It's great having all the different reference panels. Each one adds a different perspective.
                        I haven't been bored to snoozes once :-)

Comment

I've had Peters' DVD's for a while and I find they have more depth to them than you realize until you get swinging a hammer and go back to pick up a little detail that you didn't understand is when you realize their real value.

Comment

Working...
                          X