Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender flares

Hello Everyone,
    I am wondering how do you make fender flares without a shrinker stretcher?
    I have seen several videos but they all use shrinker stretcher machines and I do t care for the marks they put in the panel.
    If it required them so be it but I'm sure it can be done with out hose tools.
    the fender flares I am looking to make are like these
    I am not sure how to make the flat face part after wheeling the reverse curve flare without using shrinker and I don't want to use one if I don't have to so any ideas on how to bend that edge down and not need a shrinker to gather all the extra material?
    thanks for the help.
    I will most likely use my bead roller to tip it or a shim in the English wheel but I don't know how to get rid of the extra material that will be there and then I need to roll the bottom edge under as well so we dint cut tires or fingers and that will need to be stretched ( which can be done with a hammer and dolly) it's the flat face I'm not sure how to do

To shrink the edge use can make a Tucking tool and trap the metal with some vise ( it’s a Quality brand ) clamps with the Flat feet on to a flat metal base ( I have a small Metal table that fits in a Vise )

you would need heat to assist you in taping down the Hot Tuck....with Mild steel.

This is what you could do..... at home.

stretching metal is easy

shrinking metal is not so.

it’s a bit .... yer her .....🤣. But if you had to you could pie cut & butt weld up.....
    all this can be done in a home garage.

the most important thing to think about is shrinking is going to thicken the edge ...which is advantageous.

The pie cut & butt weld method ....
    might be more amateurish , but would probably finish better....?

heating and hammering can leave marks....😉.

that Peter T .... Is a master with a panel hammer.

and I have achieved an awful lot when I was younger in my shed....
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 09-12-20, 08:40 AM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

if you mark it out correctly on the blank you have cut you will need very little shrinking. i would suggest watching peter's video of him making the monaro 1/4 panel, the part in question is when he is blocking out the wheel arch. he doesn't use a shrinker because when you block out the line (you circled in the pic) it stretches but the material has to come from somewhere, so it pulls material from all around the hammer blow. this helps making the area (where you would use a shrinker) curl in, so you could then shape up with a hammer and dolly. hope that helps lol
      thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Bearwen View Post
        Hello Everyone,
        I am wondering how do you make fender flares without a shrinker stretcher?
        I have seen several videos but they all use shrinker stretcher machines and I do t care for the marks they put in the panel.
        If it required them so be it but I'm sure it can be done with out hose tools.
        the fender flares I am looking to make are like these
        I am not sure how to make the flat face part after wheeling the reverse curve flare without using shrinker and I don't want to use one if I don't have to so any ideas on how to bend that edge down and not need a shrinker to gather all the extra material?
        thanks for the help.
        I will most likely use my bead roller to tip it or a shim in the English wheel but I don't know how to get rid of the extra material that will be there and then I need to roll the bottom edge under as well so we dint cut tires or fingers and that will need to be stretched ( which can be done with a hammer and dolly) it's the flat face I'm not sure how to do
        NO NO,////// NO Shrinking ./////////////// just stretch the area involved, the panel will shrink it self once you do the blocking./////// I know that it sounds confusing and it would be to hard for me to explain over a few words on the net. Your best bet would be to watch video N 7/ 8 and 9... The flare on your picture is very similar of the Monaro quarter
        Cheers
        Peter T.

Comment

Peter's DVD set will open up a new world of possibilities. Seriously. You will have such a better understanding of shaping after watching those videos. Especially 7,8, and 9 where he makes the quarter panel with hand tools and the wheel. Like Peter said the shape is very similar to what you are trying to do. Get the DVD's you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F5B06215-4312-4481-8A7E-3005B7C4F60A.png
Views:	78
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	4790 Click image for larger version

Name:	54AB5D12-66F2-4212-858C-E094A045C9A0.png
Views:	80
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	4789 Click image for larger version  Name:	242681C9-C423-47A5-842E-5BA95B8D865D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	4762 Click image for larger version  Name:	F3C8ECD1-1522-40E2-8824-85087AFD9842.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	4763Peter is correct .... I should’ve explained the more professional way....

Now l look like a dick.... sorry.

blocking with a blocking hammer just above the tipped area of the arch will Bring out this line out by stretching the metal , and will naturally create what Pete calls puckers or tucks on he flat edge of the arch..... and these would only be small puckers..... If any at all.

😐
            I explained it that way first because l didn’t think the gentleman would get it.

Hope the small diagram is what Pete is talking about.... I need to redeem myself.
            Last edited by Moving molecules .; 12-12-20, 12:55 PM.
            https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Absolutely awesome thank you guys so much.
              I am using 1.6mm aluminum 3003 or here in the USA .063" 3003 aluminum.
              So how do I order the dvds as those sound like they will help with a lot of different questions peters videos on YouTube really gave me some eye opening info.
              I do own a shrinker and a stretcher that I bought when I first started this adventure but I HATE the marks it puts in the panel and I know it can be done with out them as it was done many years ago without them I'm sure.
              I will go watch the video on the 1/4 panel while I wait for the weekend to get in the garage and for more replies and how to get the dvds ordered.
              thanks again everyone you guys are awesome.

Comment

Google Peter's online shop Handbuilt and you can order the DVD's there and any tools you need. Peter will give advice.

I agree with the others, the DVD's are worth their weight in gold,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Bearwen View Post
                  Absolutely awesome thank you guys so much.
                  I am using 1.6mm aluminum 3003 or here in the USA .063" 3003 aluminum.
                  So how do I order the dvds as those sound like they will help with a lot of different questions peters videos on YouTube really gave me some eye opening info.
                  I do own a shrinker and a stretcher that I bought when I first started this adventure but I HATE the marks it puts in the panel and I know it can be done with out them as it was done many years ago without them I'm sure.
                  I will go watch the video on the 1/4 panel while I wait for the weekend to get in the garage and for more replies and how to get the dvds ordered.
                  thanks again everyone you guys are awesome.
                  Bearwen....

To purchase the dvd's simply send me a email
                  Peter T.

Comment

Working...
                  X