Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DId I give this guy good advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DId I give this guy good advice?

    Was over on the "other" site and replied to a question about wheeling because I was surprised no one addressed it. I think I gave the guy good advice, just surprised how clueless some regular posters over there are (not including you Cliff). It's how I would do it /have done it. Guy was trying to make a wheel well housing it looked like and do it by wheeling alone. I tried to give him some advice but who knows if he will take it or understand it. Seems like half the guys there are so concerned with machines and don't seem to have a very good grasp on the "principles" as Peter would say.

    Here's the thread
    http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19915

  • #2
    Good response. It doesn't appear he's used any blocking, just wheeling and a linear shrinker..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
      Was over on the "other" site and replied to a question about wheeling because I was surprised no one addressed it. I think I gave the guy good advice, just surprised how clueless some regular posters over there are (not including you Cliff). It's how I would do it /have done it. Guy was trying to make a wheel well housing it looked like and do it by wheeling alone. I tried to give him some advice but who knows if he will take it or understand it. Seems like half the guys there are so concerned with machines and don't seem to have a very good grasp on the "principles" as Peter would say.

      Here's the thread
      http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19915
      Chris- I stayed out of that "what you ought do" detailed instruction after the last go-round we had with the previous "professional" who ended up showing his ass when we wouldn't tell him how to $$ work, etc. Real pros have quit offering advice and posting over there because of such tails wagging the dog, fsp fatansy, etc. It's not that I'm good enough enough at this to even be a dog, but it wouldn't take much searching to realize basic blocking as part of the typical process. That thread is much like the one about getting a $1K Hydrogen generator to weld alloy vs a basic O/A gas welding rig when he already has a MIG, TIG and plasma cutter. Its all about the fallacy of TWA, Daniel Boone's rifle, whatever- success has more to do with the man than the machine.

      Your post was the blocking that piece makes perfect sense to me and is what I would have done. He asked about wheeling and imho that basic flat-shape-flat exercise needs to be second nature.

      Comment


      • #4
        I tried to point him towards Peters video's on flat vs full radius anvils and all of Peters other videos.
        I also mentioned the shape in shape out exercise. Just to try and point him in a good direction.
        That's about all I am comfortable with in trying to help with wheeling.
        I don't think he paid much attention
        David Bradbury

        Comment


        • #5
          That is why I left the other forum, simply because I try to help by writing how a certain job could be done or a theory could be used, spent time writing + taking pics and post them, then someone that we all know well..... k P...?? And other so called experts would come up with a solution that I never heard of ... but because it sounded easy they would follow it ,then they would post again because it did not work, I then posted the theory all over again, and they still did not paid any attention So I thought ..well why am I wasting my time ? and decided to leave
          Peter T.

          Comment


          • neilb
            neilb commented
            Editing a comment
            lemmings will always follow and jump off the cliff edge

        • #6
          Originally posted by MP&C View Post
          Good response. It doesn't appear he's used any blocking, just wheeling and a linear shrinker..
          Well you see Robert.. all they need is a machines of some kind,.... or useless gadgets of some kinds,.....and that makes anything, ... the hand skill and using the right tools + practice does not count that is why they will never learn ,or they will pay a million dollars to go and learn from someone that does not know him self, and we all know who that person might be ?
          Peter T.

          Comment


          • #7
            So glad we have this forum. Thanks Neil! Thanks Peter!😎

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
              So glad we have this forum. Thanks Neil! Thanks Peter!😎
              i'm just as happy as you guy's are

              a wise man once said 'using machines without the knowledge will just make a mess quicker' or words to that effect lol
              thanks neil

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post

                Well you see Robert.. all they need is a machines of some kind,.... or useless gadgets of some kinds,.....and that makes anything, ... the hand skill and using the right tools + practice does not count that is why they will never learn ,or they will pay a million dollars to go and learn from someone that does not know him self, and we all know who that person might be ?
                Peter T.
                You're just jealous because YOU didn't invent the hot dog die!

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by kenc View Post

                  You're just jealous because YOU didn't invent the hot dog die!

                  what happens if your more of a hamburger guy? i mean hot dog die's huh, your just limiting your customer base.....lol
                  thanks neil

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    YEA.... this trade has it all .... we have the hot dog die Guru,..( which has held classes in the US ) then goes and make a simple return in 8 / 9 pieces welded together . We also have the facilitator Guru,. that bay the way ....(can make a return by SHRINKING the edges ?? )........ or make a guard for a E type and tuck shrink the wheel arch side then wonders why the guard has too much shape at the ends . ...... God help us !
                    Now......

                    Put these two guys working together and we will see miracles , also ......what should we call their classes ?? ..Can anybody help me in finding a name for them .............
                    Peter T.

                    PS watch this from 4. 51 minutes to 5.35 minutes

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB2B...&index=10&t=4s
                    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-08-2020, 01:08 PM.

                    Comment


                    • neilb
                      neilb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      well hollywood already made a movie with the best name starring jim carey... it's not pet detective lol

                  • #12
                    Don't forget the gear shaped lower wheel anvils, and the fan powered helper
                    Last edited by kenc; 09-09-2020, 02:31 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X