How would you make this 'X' bead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make this 'X' bead?

How would you form this 'X' in the gastank endcap?

Click image for larger version

Name:	132.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	3866
    Thanks, Oj

If you’re good at Carpentry make a male and female die with the cross design Cut within two sheets of thick ply wood....

And I would personally pre-stretch on the English Wheel the design on the Sheet Steel ( makes it easier for the deep profile needed...... or just planish hard on a Thick Lump of Metal ( old Italian style)

Now clamp The sheet steel in between the male and female Die (Pre stretched Design facing up)... And bolt it together to stop it all moving.

and then I will Flow -form the design with an air hammer with custom Nylon shaped heads .

this is all quite time-consuming......

and I doubt you have a PullMax..... we have only just bought one.🀣🀣🀣.

if you need me to clarify anything Me and the team are always here to help.
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 07-20-2020, 05:20 PM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

The neater the die you make...the neater the final design.....πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

if you went to the trouble of making a female metal die you could flow form the design to 100% perfection.

like it was Pressed in the factory..πŸ˜‰

you may also be able to use the bead roller ? , just depends what tools you have and how neat you want it.

cheers Matt πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§.
      Last edited by Moving molecules .; 07-20-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I tried the flow forming, I do a lot of forming like that but this piece is very deep, it took forever and was not finished at all. I don't have PullMax but have Trumpf and made made die to match the form but haven't figured out an easy way to get it all into the machine. The test pieces pulled the metal in an odd way to start, I may have been too deep to begin with. Here's the female pattern. I'd like to make 3 sets of the end caps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	134.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	3870

Comment

Great stuff ..... Pre stretch first .... give yourself a chance.
          even I’m interested what you made the die out of.....??? That special concrete method.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

also on a lighter note What make Trumpf do you own .... ???? 500.
          Last edited by Moving molecules .; 07-20-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
            Great stuff ..... Pre stretch first .... give yourself a chance.
            even I’m interested what you made the die out of.....??? That special concrete method.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

also on a lighter note What make Trumpf do you own .... ???? 500.
            The white stuff? dunno what it is, UMHW?, A buddy did some government work at a base and he was putting up 4X8 sheets of it he gave me the drops.
            Trumpf CN701
            The 'X' can't be made on beadroller or Pullmax because the breads have to cross each other. Don't feel bad, I went to the effort to make a 3/4" beading die set for the trumpf without think it thru. Duh!

Comment

I have seen a video of Lazze doing an "X" on the beadroller.
              His beads were not as wide and deep as yours appear to be though.
              You may want to look for the video just as another possibility.
              David Bradbury

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	6A9561D9-545D-4FCD-B78A-AEAE9043317E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	3878Click image for larger version  Name:	B49E819C-B493-4F0B-9E14-BEAF65DC5961.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	3877 Skateboard wheel Video πŸ˜‰.

Or look at the long beads and design made here....
                I think πŸ€” you can make it with this die combination ..... but do it in three passes , Adjusting the Top Die Down the sides of the Lower wheel with each pass ....To make the bead deeper.

(remember you don’t have to use 1 inch wide matched bead roller dies to make the design).πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘.

just helping.... Lazzie has helped me Think outside the box.
                Last edited by Moving molecules .; 07-20-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

i would give it a go in a press, male and female dies and give it a good squash. i got a 10mm rise doing the door bottoms for the porsche without pre-stretching. on AMS someone made a tool called a ball roller for doing such designs in a panel. worked well, not sure if it's too much effort if you only need 2 tank ends lol
                  thanks neil

Comment

Ball roller Neil πŸ€” tell me more....sounds a Cool idea.

More idea,s the better. 😎

Comment

I think Cass Nowrocki made it. It is a tubular post fixed to the floor, in the top sits a ball which sits on a nylon seat; rolling on that ball is another which stands proud of the post. The work is clamped between two sheets of wood and is pressed down onto the ball and rolled back and forth. The ball runs in a slot in the lower form.

Brilliant design for semi-circular beads!

Comment

How about.....

router the X is a piece of MDF , half the diameter deep
                        Make a X out of tubing
                        put tubing in MDF , clean up the ends

Press "tool" into a slab of rubber......

Well this is basically how they did it when building airplanes , and yes it was aluminum , but you get the idea

i understand you probably do not have a large enough press , its just a way of doing it.....

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post
                          How about.....

router the X is a piece of MDF , half the diameter deep
                          Make a X out of tubing
                          put tubing in MDF , clean up the ends

Press "tool" into a slab of rubber......

Well this is basically how they did it when building airplanes , and yes it was aluminum , but you get the idea

i understand you probably do not have a large enough press , its just a way of doing it.....
                          Interesting, why is 1/2deep? and where does the slab of rubber come into play? And, yes it is beyond presses' capability but I'm always interested in different way to do things and this sounds interesting. Can you give a detailed description of the process or some pictures?

Comment

its is half deep so the imprint in your sheet is that deep ,

the rubber is the other half of your die

I will try and find something that shows this process ,

ADDED: Rubber pad forming - Guerin process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber...Aircraft%20Co.

this will give you an idea........
                            Last edited by abarthdave; 07-31-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Here's my 1st one Click image for larger version

Name:	155.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	3975
                              It turned out ok, 5 more to go, by then they should be pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X