Wheel anvils and shaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel anvils and shaping

New to all this still trying to figure out the basics.
    let me ask this does the radius of the anvil effect how much curve is put into the panel on the in and out direction or does it only really effect the curve across the anvils profile radius?
    i know the wheel puts shape in the panel in both directions ( atleast I believe it does).
    i believe to put curve in a panel across the anvils profile and keep the panel on the in and out direction perfectly straight (no curve) you use a rubber band and it bends it correct.
    the big question really is does the flatter or tighter anvil profile radius’s effect how much the panel curves in the in and out direction or does it put the same amount of in and out curve regardless of the anvil profile and something else like pulling down or letting a panel droop or to much pressure etc... effect the in and out curve only.
    Also I believe what pulling down does is it puts more curve into the in and out of the panel so does lifting flatten it out so you get a flatter in and out curve and normal anvil profile curve in the panel?
    Last edited by Bearwen; 02-07-20, 05:52 AM.

Welcome to Forum..... many Answers to your questions will be sorted in your head when you can buy or borrow a English Wheel...and l would cut up 10 x 12”x 12” sheet metal squares and then do some experiments...... Learning the hard way is always easier in the long run ....you can read all you like....👍😎🇬🇧.

https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bearwen View Post
      New to all this still trying to figure out the basics.
      let me ask this does the radius of the anvil effect how much curve is put into the panel on the in and out direction or does it only really effect the curve across the anvils profile radius?
      i know the wheel puts shape in the panel in both directions ( atleast I believe it does).
      i believe to put curve in a panel across the anvils profile and keep the panel on the in and out direction perfectly straight (no curve) you use a rubber band and it bends it correct.
      the big question really is does the flatter or tighter anvil profile radius’s effect how much the panel curves in the in and out direction or does it put the same amount of in and out curve regardless of the anvil profile and something else like pulling down or letting a panel droop or to much pressure etc... effect the in and out curve only.
      Also I believe what pulling down does is it puts more curve into the in and out of the panel so does lifting flatten it out so you get a flatter in and out curve and normal anvil profile curve in the panel?

To give you a start.... just have a look at some of my video's on this forum
      Peter T.

Comment

A sheet of metal Will try to conform to the radius of a given Anvil in three dimensions...?

but go to Far with the wrong Anvil will make lines in your lovely panel.

And Pete will tell you this.... it’s all about the pressure from top wheel to Anvil....
        And many times you do not need much pressure....With Full radius NEW Anvils.

have I worded it right team I’m better with a hammer.

cheers Matt 🇬🇧
        Last edited by Moving molecules .; 03-07-20, 07:13 AM.
        https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

In my simple mind, I understand anvils as a simple profile tool used to apply pressure to metal and guide shaping. Radius of the anvil determines the the maximum clearance possible with a given profile, between pure flat and the maximum shape/radius. Once that maximum radius is reached (profile/sweep/etc) the metal cannot readily shape any further using that anvil because it is now restrained by the anvil radius. To me, this is why anvils flats make no sense. Unless the exact shape you desire had a flat captured between the curved shoulders that matched an anvil with a flat, ?.

Pressure has much to do with the equation. It's also easy for a novice to overestimate the amount of radius in a given shape or area of shape.

Comment

Working...
          X