Blocking Hammers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking Hammers.

Come on Gents, show us your favourite blocking hammer ...... Would have bought Peter T,s excellent Blue blocking hammer but it would’ve cost me a fortune to ship it to the UK .
    so I have been lucky to find a vintage one on eBay, i’ve been looking for one for a long time as original ones can command a lot of money !!!
    My one dates from 1939 and is stamped AM (Air Ministry ) and has the Kings stamp on it ( I think they use the imperial crown ) so this Hammer could certainly tell a few stories.
    but I need to re-face the heads ????... would need one face flatter so not to mark the panels .
    would you mind posting some pictures of your favourite blocking hammers .
    Here are some new pics of mine .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D53EDF52-4BCA-4DCB-A0DB-74910ED3E44A.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	2619
    Click image for larger version  Name:	650BAE96-A5BB-45DD-B3BB-730FFF3DF18A.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	2618
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C814064E-3CA7-440F-966D-BD2B2D10E835.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	2620
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 14-03-20, 02:03 PM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

personally i don't have a blocking hammer, and i love hammers lol. i always use my pear shaped wooden mallet
    thanks neil

Comment

A blocking hammer dating back to 1939 very cool
      I am a complete novice at metal shaping but I do like having the proper tools to do the job.
      I looked for a proper blocking hammer stateside for a very long time.
      Peter T. seems to be the only source producing a blocking hammer of that type (the big blue one).
      So I had one sent from OZ to the US.
      He also produces a couple of hand dollies that are similar to some that were made stateside many years ago.
      So I had him send one of those as well.
      Well worth it.
      David Bradbury

Comment

David thanks for your nice comments , being a novice my advice is to practice ... make mistakes..... but please learn from them... some metal shaping does not make sense when making certain shapes and panels .... but once you know the rules of metal!!!! YOU can make anything.
        but sorry ... it has taken me many many years.
        for me a brought a LCV which was found in a garden and not many panels were available..... you learn the hard way.

but it got me a job working for a Aston Martin restorer.

cheers Matt.

Comment

Matt
          Love the English Sports cars from the 60's.
          I have a 1960 Austin Healey BT7 and a 1969 Jaguar E-type OTS both in some state of restoration.
          Yes the mistakes!!! I make a ton of them. I sometimes destroy things and every now and then I learn a little.
          I need to get up the nerve and take a trip to Australia so I can get some hands on lessons from Peter T.
          David Bradbury

Comment

• Chazza
            Chazza commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know when you are coming David and I will come to Melbourne as well,

Great stuff, have restored two E,s and one Austin Healey 100/4 .

cheers Matt.

Comment

I have Peter's hammers.

Comment

It’s Cool that Peter has gone to great Lengths to Locate or re -Cast these,s vintage blocking hammers....

Comment

It sure is! I have a bunch on order with Peter. I looked around. and there are very slim pickings as you all know. Just like the Cast Wheels.

Comment

Peter's hammer, three Picard's, and one I made out of a Ford F250 rear axle. Axle steel is really good steel. Had to anneal it before I could even cut it with a bandsaw.

Comment

Working...
                  X