Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using wood for vintage car and coach built car restorations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using wood for vintage car and coach built car restorations.

I have been attending a woodworking club meeting for almost two years and have not been able to contribute much as I have limited wood working skills. I have decided to try and put on a seminar revolving around using wood as 1) Tools and 2) body sub structures. Concerning tools: I figure on discussing choosing wood for stumps, hammers/handles. corking tools, bucks, hammer forms, etc. Concerning body 'components, I plan on sharing photos from Jim Hery's projects, some assorted pics that I have taken and I restored a Model A Panel Delivery truck that had quite a bit of wood in it. I have already made a 'test run' at the recent Redneck Roundup and that pointed out that I need to do more work! I plan to present it once more before a Model A club before I share it with the wood group.

What I am posting about with this post is that I would like to ask for any input that you more qualified metal shapers might add to my current information base so that I could include it in my presentation.
    I am working now on choosing and preparing the traditional wood stump. What type of wood, how to 'seal', trim the edges, etc. What is the purpose of the metal ring around the upper edges? Any other tips or trick gentlemen?

Will the wood stump can be made out any hard wood ,as far as seal it ,...well there are a few ways, water or oil base paint top and bottom with the bark not removed, linseed oil top and bottom with bark not removed and possibly let the wood dry out of the sun . the metal ring around it at the top of the stump could be for 2 reason (1) stop the wood from cracking , or use the ring at the top in order to be able to attached tools to it, the like of hammers etc the edges can be shaped to certain common shapes like...making returns shapes, turn a edge or simply bending a round edge etc
    Peter T.
    PS please do not consider making a so called facilitator ?? Back braking , Waste of time and not needed
    Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Peter, what is a 'facilitator'???

Comment

Never mind for now Will .... .. apparently it's the newest and quickest invention for shrinking panels, ....... I am sure you will find out soon enough LOL
        Peter
        Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-06-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I always presumed a shrinking facilitator was a cold day in Melbourne .....

Comment

Here you go Will, make me one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iV_D24B9bQ

Comment

Just imagine if I had one of those 50 Years ago, LOL.... I would have facilitate my work in half of the time, Next will be panel beating facilitator or better still a wheeling machine equipped with a facilitator .......then a hammer and dolly equipped with a facilitator , with all of these together one will be able to make a full body in a quarter of the time by facilitating things
              Peter T .
              Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 09-09-2019, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Steve Earle. “ snake oil “. Ladies and gentlemen attention please. Come in close so everyone can see. I got a tale to tell. A listen don’t cost a dime. And if you believe that, we’re going to get along just fine.” Not happy Jan. Can’t believe that Pete hasn’t shown us this secret. In excess of 180000 hours of experience under some of the best masters and now we find this ? Please explain ...........

Comment

Back to your original question Will. I was lucky to have Dennis source me a stump that if memory serves me was from a tree. I’m sure it started with W. Maybe walnut. Or willow. ? Maybe Dennis can fill in the detail but it is a beautiful thing! I feed it with a little linseed oil but that’s about it. As it dries out and shrinks I expect a good few cracks will develop but to date it has been good and I can’t really see the value of a steel band unless it’s right at the top and as I have used this area for radius’s and little reverses I will trade away the band. I will post a picture next week to show the cute little valleys and soft edges that make my stump mine !!! I do know that Pete’s was Re-cored ( by Dennis D’lumber ) and will probably do another 40 years. Cheers Johnny Arbor

Comment

Working...
                  X