XK120 door skin fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XK120 door skin fabrication

Greetings, ran across this video and thought a few of you might find it interesting... 1.25 mm aluminum, with a mix of techniques... TIG, wheeling, rubber bands, etc

The complete making of a new door skin for a Jaguar XK120 Roadster.Metal shaping made from aluminium 1.25mm .Hammer, dolly, englishwheel, beadroller, Tig weld.

Cheers, Mike
    Sent from my Rotary Phone

I would have liked to see the back of the weld.

What is the purpose of the rubber band on the upper-wheel?

Comment

The rubber bad… as I understand it… is to slowly bend the panel without stretching it. It conforms to the lower anvil.

Comment

The rubber band on the upper wheel allows you to bend the metal in one direction only.
        The left right direction of the panel as viewed from the wheeling position.
        So you can bring a panel over (as is being done at the top of the panel in the video) without putting arc in it.
        So you just create a simple bend or curve instead of a compound one.
        David Bradbury

Comment

• Chazza
          Chazza commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks David. I must try that technique one day. Is a slice of tyre tube appropriate?

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post
        The rubber band on the upper wheel allows you to bend the metal in one direction only.
        The left right direction of the panel as viewed from the wheeling position.
        So you can bring a panel over (as is being done at the top of the panel in the video) without putting arc in it.
        So you just create a simple bend or curve instead of a compound one.
        Thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gee View Post

Thank you sir!
          No problem
          I have a go-kart wheel that goes in place of the upper wheel for the same purpose.
          But I have never used it ....yet
          David Bradbury

Comment

Charlie
            A slice of tyre tube will work.
            You just have to get a size that will stay on the upper wheel while you work with it.
            Check out "Lazze metal shaping" he uses a tyre tube and shows the various ways he uses it.
            David Bradbury

Comment

The French guys also use a hard rubber top wheel (from what I can tell) in this video building a hard top for their chop-top project. Can't say I'm a fan of doing that to an XK120, but to each her own...

Voici la vidéo complète du travail de restauration et modification effectué sur la XK120 Fixed Head Coupé.Le toit est abaissé de 5cm devant le long du montan...

Comment

Working...
              X