No announcement yet.

Austin Healey Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x10 sheet of 20 gauge was in the $200's last year. My local supplier has 4x10 20 gauge for $115 currently. That is still like 2X what it was before Covid and Biden and all the tomfoolery.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post

I am surprised that is a good price for a half sheet considering free shipping.
      I may have to order some up. I have always wanted to try some Healey panels in 19 gauge.
      20 gauge gets real thin real fast and 18 gauge is just a touch too thick.

That's a 1/4 sheet.
      Pugsy

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post

That's a 1/4 sheet.
        Pugsy
        Damn your correct...don't know what I was thinking.
        So that would come in at $244.00 for a full sheet.
        Crazy price in my mind.
        David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
          4x10 sheet of 20 gauge was in the $200's last year. My local supplier has 4x10 20 gauge for $115 currently. That is still like 2X what it was before Covid and Biden and all the tomfoolery.
          Chris,
          What part of the country are you located in just for reference???
          David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Blue62 View Post

Chris,
            What part of the country are you located in just for reference???
            Central/Southside Virginia

Comment

20 ga regular cold rolled, 4 x 10, from the secondary seller is about 70 bucks CAD now.

You fellas ordering from the small metal centers may get a better price from a local metal fabricator.
              Pugsy

Comment

[QUOTE=123pugsy;n8882]20 ga regular cold rolled, 4 x 10, from the secondary seller is about 70 bucks CAD now.

You fellas ordering from the small metal centers may get a better price from a local metal fabricator.[/QUOTE

I have done a lot of shopping around in my area for the best prices.
                I buy out of Portland Oregon. It is about 25 miles south of me.
                The best prices in the area are still quite high.
                David Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by 123pugsy View Post
                  20 ga regular cold rolled, 4 x 10, from the secondary seller is about 70 bucks CAD now.

You fellas ordering from the small metal centers may get a better price from a local metal fabricator.
                  How is that even possible? $70 CAD is equivalent to $54 USD!!!!! And this is recently??? Wow.

For the record I order from BMG Metals in Lynchburg Va. I don't know if it's a primary or secondary supplier. I would think primary as it is a very large place that mainly deals with Businesses. It's not retail. It's not a place like Stock Car Steel in Mooresville NC, they are a reseller.
                  Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 28-07-22, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Race City Steel recently opened/bought out/whatever a large metal supplier here in Spartanburg that didn’t carry any sheet thinner than 1/4”. Their prices are about half or less of the previous local supplier who did carry .063 3003 and 18g crs or the local MetalSupermarket outlet.. the brain dead folks at Metal Supermarket were generally worthless to call- no clue, all had to be dropshipped from Charlotte for extra $$$. Think I paid $140 or more for a 4x8 sheet of 18g crs that was needed & in town last year vs Race City’s recent quoted price of <$70 for same after the fact.

But there’s no 19g at Race City, none ever at MetalSupermarket even though they list it on price list as “Call for Availability” and Stock Car steel in Mooresville has not had 19 g crs or AK any since covid with no info or expectations of stocking it again.

In a fair world, base prices are largely based upon weight alone (current market cost per pound) with only nominal differences for certain configurations. That’s how the old nearby welding shop quotes/orders material- he looks up dimensional weight, checks current market prices per pound, does the basic math and prices materials for the job. but that seems irrelevant to most retail outlets. Shipping costs are real, but it doesn’t cost $1/mile to ship each individual sheet or piece when the truck is loaded with them. Crooks are glad to charge like it does…
                    Last edited by cliffrod; 30-07-22, 02:16 PM.
                    www.carolinasculpturestudio.com

Comment

"Shipping costs are real, but it doesn’t cost $1/mile to ship each individual sheet or piece when the truck is loaded with them. Crooks are glad to charge like it does…" Cliffy.

I couldn't agree more Clint. Same problem here in country Western Australia; the freight companies' charge is reasonable and always cheaper than if I took a trailer to Perth and got it myself.

What infuriates me, is the lies merchants out here tell, when questioned about their exorbitant prices and they say it is the "freight cost."

Meanwhile, the merchants can't work out why less and less customers frequent their shops and more shops stand empty each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post

How is that even possible? $70 CAD is equivalent to $54 USD!!!!! And this is recently??? Wow.

For the record I order from BMG Metals in Lynchburg Va. I don't know if it's a primary or secondary supplier. I would think primary as it is a very large place that mainly deals with Businesses. It's not retail. It's not a place like Stock Car Steel in Mooresville NC, they are a reseller.

approx 61 LBS x 1.15/LB.........this is our satin coat price but our CR price has been close to the same always, unless they now are gouging for a cheaper material.
                        Pugsy

Comment

Working...
                        X