911s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911s...

Click image for larger version  Name:	002D506A-2415-469B-B4E0-4E048644B4CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	5865 Click image for larger version  Name:	6828B5D8-BED5-4DAD-B4B0-17DF5804B18E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.39 MB ID:	5864 New long term Job for us is this 1974 Porsche 911S last of the Chrome Mirror / door handles & headlight rim cars.
    Needs lots of New Metal ...maybe 60/65%.
    So now and again l will pop up a Pic or two just for some Forum interest.
    Owner is the Drummer from the band Oasis just to add something to this biggish restoration.

For anyone who has spent many months of your life on one car itโ€™s sometimes nice to know itโ€™s going to a good home to be actually driven / museum/ or just A static work of art .....As long as your hard work is appreciated this is all I care about , and what drives me
    Because ANY big restoration can really drag you down.....
    car will be mounted to a Jig very soon.

Some panels you can buy but a lot we will have to make.

I realise itโ€™s not a true Metal Shaping Car like what Peter does on a day-to-day basis but someone might learn something....๐Ÿ‘

That job is coming in June a Ferrari 275 for new front clip , floors & Sills. Just seen one Pic so Far.
    Last edited by Moving molecules .; 30-03-21, 10:14 PM.
    https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

I think most of us are fixing cars that need our help , only a few are building bodies from scratch ,

for you the 911 will be "easy" with all the parts that have been reproduced as long as the car did not have a major crash or rusty around the rear suspension torsion bar area ,

and your new jig will help you make sure its square ,

Cheers

Comment

• Moving molecules .
      Moving molecules . commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Dave, should be OK , the Bottoms of the Windscreen pillars are non-existent after being blasted....๐Ÿ™ quite fiddly.

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	002D506A-2415-469B-B4E0-4E048644B4CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	5865 Click image for larger version Name:	6828B5D8-BED5-4DAD-B4B0-17DF5804B18E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.39 MB ID:	5864 New long term Job for us is this 1974 Porsche 911S last of the Chrome Mirror / door handles & headlight rim cars.
    Needs lots of New Metal ...maybe 60/65%.
    So now and again l will pop up a Pic or two just for some Forum interest.
    Owner is the Drummer from the band Oasis just to add something to this biggish restoration.

For anyone who has spent many months of your life on one car itโ€™s sometimes nice to know itโ€™s going to a good home to be actually driven / museum/ or just A static work of art .....As long as your hard work is appreciated this is all I care about , and what drives me
    Because ANY big restoration can really drag you down.....
    car will be mounted to a Jig very soon.

Some panels you can buy but a lot we will have to make.

I realise itโ€™s not a true Metal Shaping Car like what Peter does on a day-to-day basis but someone might learn something....๐Ÿ‘

That job is coming in June a Ferrari 275 for new front clip , floors & Sills. Just seen one Pic so Far.

Just don't let Liam or Noel near it! ๐Ÿคฃ They both strike me as being borderline douchebags but I wonder if that's all an act.

I'm assuming it's the drummer named Alan, not the poor guy they kicked out of the band for "not being good enough" when they got famous..

A old guy I knew in California who did a lot of work for Celebrities always told they were the worst to work for. Always get your money up front is what he used to say.

Comment

Thanks Gents for your Postive comments so far .... they might get worse.....๐Ÿ˜‚.... I havenโ€™t shown you the close-up shots yet ๐Ÿ˜ณ, yes itโ€™s Alan White just up in Lewisham l believe.

The Car got pulled out of other garage after they said they could do it... and the car sat there for six months.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
      Last edited by Moving molecules .; 31-03-21, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gents for your Postive comments so far .... they might get worse.....๐Ÿ˜‚.... I havenโ€™t shown you the close-up shots yet ๐Ÿ˜ณ, yes itโ€™s Alan White just up in Lewisham l believe.

The Car got pulled out of other garage after they said they could do it... and the car sat there for six months.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
        We are lucky to have a lot of "rust free" 911s here that are really not rust free !
        But no where as bad as East Coast USA cars or European projects ,

West Coast "rustfree" cars many times need floor pans , front suspension supports and the areas around the window seals , which for you would be a cake walk !

Comment

I've got a question related to the windshield posts/channel.

My personal Ford Galaxie is inside my small shop, awaiting rust repairs around the rear window. Some of the rear glass channel around bottom corners is completely gone. other areas of the same channel are rusted and replacement is practical. Maybe I'm overthinking this project, but how do you produce the proper replacement parts and then install while maintaining the proper dimensions & placement so the windshield and trim will all fit properly? On my stone work, we generally work from a static, non-changing reference point to properly locate and plumb a complicated element in x, y and z. We also make accurate patterns and jigs. Applying that perspective to this project, I would make a less fragile wood & metal duplicate of the rear window glass perimeter and use it to check my progress. Beyond a simple cardboard pattern or flat plywood pattern, I've not seen a regular bodyshop/metal shaper do anything like that or at least not admit it.

On the 911S, will you make some type of pattern of the original channel (glass portion, not metal portion), are measurements taken from a centerline on body, reference on temporary jig, ? or do you simply make new portions of what needs replacement and attempt to install them into the right orientation?

Comment

• Moving molecules .
            Moving molecules . commented
            Editing a comment
            On big jobs l have made Metal windscreens but always use a real screen / and rubber to make sure .... New screens for old Classic cars are always slightly bigger..... something to check for.

Here the problem on VW bugs and buses is normally the front glass , overnight fog condenses and if the rubber is hard the water goes behind the windshield rubber and sits on the metal edge , eating away at the metal.

Replacement panels are made for the buses , not sure about bugs ,

but it does not have to be perfect as the new fresh replacement rubber gives you a little working area.

Hope that helps....a little....

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post
            I've got a question related to the windshield posts/channel.

My personal Ford Galaxie is inside my small shop, awaiting rust repairs around the rear window. Some of the rear glass channel around bottom corners is completely gone. other areas of the same channel are rusted and replacement is practical. Maybe I'm overthinking this project, but how do you produce the proper replacement parts and then install while maintaining the proper dimensions & placement so the windshield and trim will all fit properly? On my stone work, we generally work from a static, non-changing reference point to properly locate and plumb a complicated element in x, y and z. We also make accurate patterns and jigs. Applying that perspective to this project, I would make a less fragile wood & metal duplicate of the rear window glass perimeter and use it to check my progress. Beyond a simple cardboard pattern or flat plywood pattern, I've not seen a regular bodyshop/metal shaper do anything like that or at least not admit it.

On the 911S, will you make some type of pattern of the original channel (glass portion, not metal portion), are measurements taken from a centerline on body, reference on temporary jig, ? or do you simply make new portions of what needs replacement and attempt to install them into the right orientation?
            Hi Cliff, For your car on your rear frames you can make a profile gauge and witness mark them , or you can buy proprietary shop bought profile gauges....for small panels.

One very very simple idea l use a lot when reusing old panels is to drill 1.5 mm holes though the 2 or 3 panel panels..... then with a Spotweld drillbit normally 6mm for Classic cars drill off your panel then restore it....

Then you can use your 1.5mm drill bit to jig up your newly restored panel back in its same place.๐Ÿ˜‰.... or you can even better that position if you need to.... with a trammel gauge ( if you have a British car ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚)
            Last edited by Moving molecules .; 31-03-21, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E99722-4179-41D3-8408-0C008E96F444.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	6037 Click image for larger version

Name:	3CE93E21-AC46-456A-9E47-D70C23A8EAAB.jpeg
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	6036 Click image for larger version

Name:	37C671FD-D5A4-458D-8C4E-30E51D396EE8.jpeg
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	6035 Click image for larger version

Name:	CF49F11D-3CE3-4F72-A1E4-D65BDDA2D02E.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	6034 Click image for larger version

Name:	D64EFD10-26EC-4EBF-8327-A5AC00226D15.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	6033

Comment

I think many vintage cars are like this , once you open up the box sections you just see more hidden rust !

the 240 z is the same ,

Please keep posting pics like this ,......

Was it a UK car or imported from the USA ?

Comment

Bad isnโ€™t it... Lov the lack of A. post...

I donโ€™t know the early history of the car.

New Jig will be here next week ยฃ12.500...

Comment

Name:	CA44F009-C12A-4A0B-B6FF-EE5587404497.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	6041

One more old body work Gem.

A. Post on the O/S

Comment

It will be a good job for you
                      Lots of billable hours !

Imported from the USA can be as bad as UK rust ,
                      We are normally lucky out here on the West Coast but East Coast USA is cold , snowy and lots of salt ,
                      I know of a few East Coast cars that were really only patterns and a VIN number

Anyway good luck , make patterns so the next one will be easy !

Comment

We had a customer purchase a E type from the US hoping for a rust free car .... boy was he in for a shock when I strip the car down....

pop riveting every where....๐Ÿ™

Like you say mustโ€™ve come from the east coast.๐Ÿ‘

but all done now with lots of nice New panels.

Are you working on anything nice , or any projects at home.

cheers Matt.

Comment

Name:	CA44F009-C12A-4A0B-B6FF-EE5587404497.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	6041

One more old body work Gem.

A. Post on the O/S
                          Yep. Quality OEM finish ! Has she taken a hit or is most of that the result of rust ? I know Cliffy took out the prize for admitting to the work he did on the truck in the early days, but I remember using a piece of plywood about 100mm square ( 4 inches to our Merikan friends ) to fill in a dent on a 38 dodge prior to slapping some filler on it. Wasn't even marine ply ! Actually when I think back we did some really crap stuff on a regular basis

Comment

Working...
                          X