No announcement yet.

Aussie Aluminium Spyder project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive project your undertaking. Hell of a lot of work your already done, keen to see the build of your buck and the start of body work. Great job.
    Cheers Reedy,

There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8

Comment

Coming along just nicely !
      Peter T.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
        Coming along just nicely !
        Peter T.
        Thanks guys. I appreciate the support and guidance. As I often say. I am happy but not satisfied. I have now documented each imperfection for the front right and I have a plan to deal with them. Then I'll wire them up again and see how much closer I am. I also need to start work welding the centre stations in the back of the car to give me the support for wiring in the sides. It should start looking like a car over the next few weeks.

Comment

Looking good Greg and progressing nicely.
          cheers Steve

Comment

I found a reasonable glass portion of a mirror I think will suit the Spyder. But the shape of the housing is something that concerns me. How would one go about constructing something like this? Does anyone have ant links to photos or video showing a similar piece? It doesn't need to be a mirror. The aspects that I am trying to grasp are:
            • How to achieve a smooth and consistent curved surface while working within a confined space (from inside the housing).
            • How to achieve a rather tight radius on that outer edge.
            I believe these housings had an opening along the base leaving just a strip down each side on the surface mating to the panel.
            Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	real 550 spyder7.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5997

Comment

Start my making a simple wood ( or fibreglass ) Buck should be quite easy to do( also slightly smaller then the mirror you’re looking for ), anneal some aluminium.... Mostly where you need to shrink the front of the mirror housing .... and form over wooden form or Buck.

you can then make thousands....😎👍

there are many ways to make this simple shape but you’re looking to do it without any marks.
              Last edited by Moving molecules .; 08-04-21, 07:21 AM.
              https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Moving molecules . View Post
                Start my making a simple wood ( or fibreglass ) Buck should be quite easy to do( also slightly smaller then the mirror you’re looking for ), anneal some aluminium.... Mostly where you need to shrink the front of the mirror housing .... and form over wooden form or Buck.

you can then make thousands....😎👍

there are many ways to make this simple shape but you’re looking to do it without any marks.
                OK, thanks. Are you talking about a solid wood buck? and then (gently) hammer forming over the top of the buck?

Comment

Originally posted by galderdi View Post

OK, thanks. Are you talking about a solid wood buck? and then (gently) hammer forming over the top of the buck?
                  Its one way...😎

I suppose in my head I visualise it like a T Stake.

make the sheet Aluminium slightly larger... so you got something to work with.... then trim around the bottom.
                  Last edited by Moving molecules .; 09-04-21, 07:08 AM.
                  https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Hi guys, Here is the latest on my buck. I have the driver side front almost right. I am not quite happy with the last 2 stations. I have the passenger side progressing nicely too. The passenger side probably needs a couple more minor adjustments before I lock it in. I have started on the passenger side rear. But I haven't made any adjustments back there yet. I need to finish off the passenger side door so I can remove the clamps that are in the way of the rear section.

I'm wondering if there is a particular sequence that makes sense for the choice of panel creation?

Name:	20210410_165911_resized.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	6129 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_165856_resized.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	6130 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210411_170551_resized.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	6131

Comment

Looking good cobber!

Comment

Originally posted by galderdi View Post
                        I found a reasonable glass portion of a mirror I think will suit the Spyder. But the shape of the housing is something that concerns me. How would one go about constructing something like this? Does anyone have ant links to photos or video showing a similar piece? It doesn't need to be a mirror. The aspects that I am trying to grasp are:
                        • How to achieve a smooth and consistent curved surface while working within a confined space (from inside the housing).
                        • How to achieve a rather tight radius on that outer edge.
                        I believe these housings had an opening along the base leaving just a strip down each side on the surface mating to the panel.
                        Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Name:	real 550 spyder7.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5997
                        Greg,

I've been working similar shapes with both my Guzzi and RD350 motorcycle seats. My right shoulder/chest is not as vigorous as it used to be. I'm finding great results with an arbor press (see the thread here) to shape this RD350 seat portions. Very clean shaping and very accurate with a lot less aggravation to my shoulder/chest. I'm planning to redo my Guzzi seat with it and think I could do the hump with a single piece on the arbor press.

I might block that mirror body some with actual hammer and sandbag, but would try it with the arbor press first. With a moderate durometer urethane rubber(?) anvil to work into, you can produce a lot of shape and not mark the alloy at all. The hole in center of this black urethane I'm using is fantastic. Press (block) the shape into the center of your metal blank and carefully compress any wrinkles around the edges as they form using a harder wood or UHMW plastic anvil. Getting a tight fit over the entire hammerform on a deep-ish shape like that by simply hammering without stretching/blocking the middle first may be possible but it's a PIA

Comment

Greg,
                          Are you looking to make the mirror housing from one piece of aluminum sheet or are you looking at welding together several pieces?
                          Like Cliff mentioned the shape looks a lot like a motorcycle seat tail or the back half of a petrol tank.
                          I am planning on making my Indian petrol tank with a weld joint running through the middle of the radiused parts where the top and sides join.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Murphy View Post
                            Greg,
                            Are you looking to make the mirror housing from one piece of aluminum sheet or are you looking at welding together several pieces?
                            Like Cliff mentioned the shape looks a lot like a motorcycle seat tail or the back half of a petrol tank.
                            I am planning on making my Indian petrol tank with a weld joint running through the middle of the radiused parts where the top and sides join.

Regards

Steve
                            I am planning to follow which ever advice seems achievable with the resources I have available. I have only just learned to TIG and I was going to say I'll avoid welding where possible. But that is the wrong attitude. These might be another opportunity to practice that skill.

Comment

Greg, that's the spirit!
                              If you are on instagram, there is a guy named Evan Wilcox who is a pretty well known motorcycle sheet metal fabricator who makes a lot of aluminum sheet metal bits with lots of gas welding. He posts tutorials several times a week, very helpful to me.
                              cheers
                              Steve

Comment

Here's my latest progress. I prepared the motor and gearbox in order to understand what was required to the sandwich plate. It turns out I will be able to use my original flywheel and I can choose between the new or old pressure plate. They are all compatible with the clutch.
                                I made more progress on the buck too. All the steel is bent to the basic shape and welded in place at one end. Now I need to do any final adjustments before welding all the cross bracing in place. I also need to work on the fine details like the nose, tail and dash. The left door area is done enough for me to start on the sill panel.

Name:	20210424_195217_resized.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	6321 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_202913_resized.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1,023.8 KB
ID:	6322 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_135906_resized.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.19 MB