porsche 356 project restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Neil
    So you put the smaller shapes in the panel while still in flat form, Then curved the panel and formed the rest of the larger shape by hammer afterwards? I was trying to work out the order you did these in? Have i got this correct?

Regards Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post
      Hi Neil
      So you put the smaller shapes in the panel while still in flat form, Then curved the panel and formed the rest of the larger shape by hammer afterwards? I was trying to work out the order you did these in? Have i got this correct?

Regards Dennis
      yes i hammered the shape in the centre and towards the end while flat, checking with the car where it fits to find best position before it gets trimmed. now the part fits easily where it needs to, i marked out where the impressions get placed, then placed the templates to form the shapes through the wheel. marked out where the diagonal crease goes, then bent that in over a piece of tubing. placed the part back on the car and marked out the bonnet line and folded the top edge where the front guards weld to. had to do a little shrinking at the centre of the flange (where the top of the diagonal crease is) and at the front where the bonnet opening curves around the front
      thanks neil

Comment

Nice work Neil
        Peter T

Comment

thanks peter
          thanks neil

Comment

Looks fantastic Neil. ! How do you set the top shape as I imagine it needs to match the hood and guards ? Great job little fella. Jc

Comment

when the panel is on the car clamped where it needs to be, i scribe down the inside of the hood then fold it over
              thanks neil

Comment

well i have been trying a different method for making the R/H fender. i'm in the middle of making it in one piece, well apart from the hood rain channel so that's two pieces but it beats the four pieces i did the first one in, and the three pieces i did the second one in. this is a little awkward to manage but i like my panels to be in as fewer pieces as possible, it's a challenge i have set myself to push me to become better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_181340.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	869

thanks for watching
                Attached Files
                thanks neil

Comment

Neil
                  I like following your work on the 356.
                  More pictures from more angles
                  David Bradbury

Comment

this was the only other pic I took yesterday
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_375.jpg Views:	3 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	889

thanks neil

Comment

I like thanks Neil
                      David Bradbury

Comment

VERY impressive work Neil! Very creative.

Comment

Looks great, Neil. Very impressive to see it being formed as a monolithic piece instead of fabricated from several. Someday I want to be able to do that on purpose.

Comment

cliffy, will, thank you for the kind words. we shall see what peter thinks of my efforts when i visit him lol
                            thanks neil

Comment

Neil I think you are doing extremely well and I would like to add that you are a quick learner
                              Peter T.

Comment

thanks peter
                                thanks neil

Comment

Working...
                                X