porsche 356 project restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porsche 356 project restoration

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190729_180136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	51

been getting the top of the guard to where it needs to be, along with the front panel. the swage needs to be moved towards the centre a little more at the bottom, but i shall sort that out

thanks for watching...
    Attached Files
    thanks neil

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190731_182740.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	55

top and bottom guard pieces welded together
    thanks neil

Comment

Beautiful work as always Neil

Comment

Well done and thank you Neil and John ....once I can understand a bit more how all of this works?? I will be able to show and post
        Thank you again
        Peter

Comment

Hi Neil John and peter Good to see your still at it Neil. Good to see Peter is starting as a Junior Member, LOL
          Regards Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post
            Hi Neil John and peter Good to see your still at it Neil. Good to see Peter is starting as a Junior Member, LOL
            Regards Dennis
            good to see you dennis

i have to keep building this tub to cast off my unwanted panels to kiwi john lol
            thanks neil

Comment

pretty much as the left hand side is at the moment Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_135410.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	121
              thanks neil

Comment

Nice work Neil!, has come a long since I seen it last.
                Cheers Reedy
                Cheers Reedy,

There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8

Comment

so the left hand side is pretty much at this stage now

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190818_122509.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	502
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20190818_122534.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	503

so the plan now is to make the right hand side look like this...

after the paper pattern was taken from the left hand side, i started hammering this up..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190818_122923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	504

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190818_123040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.0 KB ID:	505

the majority of the stretching was done around where my finger is, this area is getting trimmed off so it doesn't matter what happens to this. a while ago after looking at my scrap pile it occurred to me what peter had said in passing. he creates his returns while keeping material thickness... while looking at my pieces of steel i had trimmed off pieces i had made i realized that they were all usable pieces, as in they were untouched by any hammer marks. so a couple of months ago i started stretching the crap out of the parts i'm cutting off, i do this as it starts to create the return edge without having to actually hit the part i'm keeping, any stretching needed on the part is then minimal. i believe this is what he does but i can't confirm it lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190818_123001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	506

thanks for watching
                  thanks neil

Comment

the start of this comedy of errors is located here http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...3be501c2066522 just in case anybody is interested, it's come a long way since the start lol
                    thanks neil

Comment

almost finished this piece of the trunk closing panels, little more trimming and cleaning up fold the top edge for the outer panel to weld to

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190821_183325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	573
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190821_183330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	574
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190821_183339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	575
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190821_183353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	576
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190821_183405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	577

thanks for watching
                      thanks neil

Comment

Hi Neil
                        How did you go about making these panels?
                        Regards Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post
                          Hi Neil
                          How did you go about making these panels?
                          Regards Dennis
                          hey dennis, a good old fashioned hammer......

genuinely an old fashioned hammer lol, hammer out the shape in the centre but not just one way. hammer out the shape one way on the sandbag then hammer out the other. any stretching on the dolly i do near the edge which is getting cut off anyway, then hammer along the length towards the end. the shapes i made some shapes i like, cut them out in steel then make a sheet steel with holes the same shape in it. clamp the sheet with holes on, lightly run it through the wheel to find the edges, then tape the shapes to the opposite side. then run it through the wheel a little harder. mine are only 2mm thick steel, 5mm would have been nicer but it's fine

i'll take a pic of the bits i made
                          thanks neil

Comment

Nice hammer work Neil slow but sure its coming along
                            David Bradbury

Comment

thanks david

couple extra pics

Name:	20190822_173519.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	604

Name:	20190822_173259.jpg
Views:	170