Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 anglia

Hi All
    Thought i would put up a pic of my current project A 1948 Anglia ute I will be changing the running gear to Austin Healey Sprite 948 motor,gearbox and rear end,Anglia front end, New chassis inside the original and plenty of metalwork to do
    Regards Dennis

Click image for larger version

Name:	18 1949 Y376019 (Unreg'd) Keith Pratt.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	164

Comment

looks fairly complete from here, are they still classed as an E93A?
      thanks neil

Comment

Hi Neil
        You'r spot on E93A .I was lucky to get a fairly complete vehicle bodywise, but half the motor was missing and i wanted something a little more sporty, luckily enough i happened to have the 948cc motor sitting around from a sprite race car i used to own [now sold but i kept the motor] and it looked like it would fit the anglia quite nicely, With the sprite running gear fitting well as the rear end is the same width as the anglia. I have spent a lot of time adjusting door gaps which involved modifing hinges to change the height of the doors to get the doorlines to line up with the bodylines, then i could remove the 1/4 inch of lead used on the edge of the doors by the factory to get these to fit the body. I have gutted the the chassis of crossmembers except for the two front ones and am making a new frame which fits inside the original Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020109.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	167Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020159 (1).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	168 As you can see i have plenty of sheetmetal work ahead. anyhow i'm of to hit metal with hammers.

Regards Dennis

Comment

i had a 105e when i passed my test, 1500 pre xflow that was shocking lol. it ended up with a 1600 xflow which was a little better but still shocking by 1600cc standards of today. i like the ute look but i always felt the E93a was narrower than it should have been. lots of fun ahead for you though
          thanks neil

Comment

Looks like a cool project Dennis.
            Cheers Reedy,

There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8

Comment

Nice car Dennis!

I had a friend who had several side-valve Fords, he told me the ute was called a Popular, He had an Anglia soft-top as well and a Prefect,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Hi all
                I did remove the front crossmember and straighten the front rails which were bent and twisted ‚Äč
                then refitted the front sheetmetal and started the first round of straightening. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020111.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	445 lots of dents on this old girl,will still need further work .

Regards Dennis

Comment

Hi All
                  A couple of pictures of the doors before and after hinge repairs

Name:	P1020141.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	544Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020140.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	545
                  I did have to bend the hinges slightly in the press, to get the right gaps,then ream hinges to fit new pins and also build up pivots on the top side with weld and reface and machine about 3mm of the bottom face. This aligned the body line and kept the gaps correct. Next i started on the tailgate, I first stripped the old skin to reveal the inner tailgate to be in good condition, but badly bent with three internal ribs needing to be removed and straightened,before refitting the ribs i repaired the inner panel and ran it through the citric acid bath to remove surface rust, I then painted with por15 and made a new skin also painted internally with Por 15 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020135.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	546Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020137.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	547Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020136.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	548 This was an interesting job as you have to fit the hinges to the inner panel while fitting the outer skin, as they won't fit after you fit the skin.Also there is a piece of wood that gets screwed to the top of the inner between the ribs and the top edge that holds the latches and stiffens the top of the outer skin, which also gets screwed to the timber.Anyhow that's all for now, finished tailgate will have to wait till the next post as i can only post 5 pics.
                  Regards Dennis

Comment

Hi All
                    While talking with another Anglia Ute restorer, the topic of these tailgate frames came up and we were trying to work out why ford put these circular pieces [about 5 inch disc bronze welded in the recesses] in the tailgate frame, The answer we came up with was that ford used up old aircraft wings.Don't know if this is correct or not but it makes sense when you look at the panel.
                    Regards Dennis

Comment

Really like your Anglia, Dennis. Anxious to see it progress.

Comment

Maybe that tailgate was made from surplus steel landing Mat or marston mat. Put it down on the ground and make a runway nearly anyplace. Nice work by the way....... regards
                        steve

Comment

Hi All
                          I had to look up Marston mat on google Steve and it could very well be what the tailgate inner is made from, As the end pieces and ribs are seperate pieces spot welded to the frame. I suppose there was still a shortage of steel in 1948 due to the war, so surpluss stock of many items would be used for different purposes,Ford tailgates being one of them. I'm anxious to see it progress too Cliffy.
                          Regards Dennis

Comment

I have seen the term 'Ute' mentioned in this thread and it reminds me of one of the visits I have had with Cass Nawrocci. The gentleman that he is working with has a collection of Utes, but I did not pay much attention to them at the time, as we were very surprised to be able to get a look at a custom car that is being built in that shop, supposedly' being hand built to compete for the Riddler award in Detroit each year. (I was asked politely not to talk about what I saw) Is a Ute a model of an Anglia? Can some one post a picture of a Ute? Is it a car made in Australia only? Don't mean to hijack this thread, as I am VERY interested in this build and will be following it closely.

Comment

Hi All
                              The term Ute is an abbrievation for Utility Vehicle, But not to be confused with a Pick Up Truck, A Ute has the body sides one piece with the cab and a Pick Up has a seperate bed which is removable, leaving the cab on the chassis. The first Ute was made in Australia in the 1920's and the sales slogan was take the missus to church on sunday and calves to market monday with the same vehicle. The Anglia came out in Sedan,Van,Coupe, Roadster, Coupe Ute and Roadster Ute,{the Roadster Ute was also known as a Plumbers Ute].Here is a picture of a Popular Ute.

Name:	48popute.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1929 Regards Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X