Dannenhauer & Stauss replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dannenhauer & Stauss replica

Although 356 Porsche’s are my favourite I have started building a d&s roadster using a Vw floorpan for the simple reason that they were built that way in the 50s. Getting the car registered should be easier because I don’t have to shorten the chassis

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	106

Name:	
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	107

Name:	
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	108

Comment

I can’t seem to get the text to stick with the photos so until the gifted one gets back to me I’ll carry on with things as best as I can. Yep would love to be working on a real 356 but in the meantime I have started on a replica D&S. There were only 130 made in Stuttgart in the 50’s and are a little thin on the ground today At last count 18 are known to have survived and have become very sought after. From what I recall Herr Dannenhauer worked for Reutter Coachwork in the early 50s It was common for companies to sub out the actual production of body shells Porsche were supplied by Reutter as well as Draus Glasser Karmann. Eventually big D left to start his own firm. They bought complete Vw beetles then rebodied them with a pretty little roadster that was similar to the 356 from Porsche. Each body was hand formed using wooden bucks so was labour intensive. By 1955 Vw had released the Ghia and the D&S became a problem Slow as a Vw but as expensive as a 356. Production ceased and they became orphans. Vw had forced D&S to buy completed beetles and there wasn’t enough margin from day one. Because they were built on a standard wheel base Vw pan and just bolt on they are a lot easier to road register here. Mine will be a loose interpretation as I am building it from photos but will try to do it justice. History lesson over ! Cheers John

Comment

Here's one for you johnny,hope i have done it right.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dennis. Can’t believe how fortunate I am to be surrounded by people who are so happy to help. I’m humbled

Comment

Hi John
            Here is a better pic for you Click image for larger version

Name:	hot_pepper_beetle_iii_by_davila58-d41r6ez.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	624
            Regards Dennis

Comment

Thank you Dennis. Have you considered taking up macrame ????? I hear it is really creative and a lot harder than it looks !!! Love Johnny

Comment

Good morning, John. In your initial post the third picture shows a series of cars in a line. What is the name/style of the second car? It appears to not be painted. I am enamored by the contours and would like to find more photos of it. Thanks.

Comment

will, I have spoken to John about that car also. it looks like a type 64 without a roof to me.
                  thanks neil

Comment

Good morning Neal. The type 64 does not appear to have the twin forward pointed air inlet ducts located at the deck lid. The type 64 also seems to have rear quarter windows that do not seem to be on the car in the photo. I am NOT a Porsche 'follower', so I may not be too accurate with my thinking.

Comment

i know what your saying, it was the body lines at the rear that made me think of the typ 64. the typ 64 didn't sell at auction from what i understand but then the price tag put it out of reach lol

just done some digging and found this place https://prototyp-hamburg.de/en/special-exhibitions/ it would seem the picture was taken there
                      thanks neil

Comment

Working...
                      X