Hello from Southside Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Southside Virginia

Hello to everyone. Excited to see this forum. My name is Chris, from Southside Virginia about an hour and a half north of Durham NC. Been a Paint and body guy (collision repair) the whole of my adult life. Recently left my full time gig and now am working on my own. First got interested in metalshaping when I got Ron Fournier's book as a Christmas present. I attended a class Peter gave in PA at Mike Phillips shop. He's a great guy. Bought one of his Wheeling Machines because of him. Just here to learn and get more proficient.

Glad to see you here Chris. I hope you are enjoying your Peter Tomasini wheeling machine in good health. Hope to see some of your posts here also.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

Comment

welcome Chris
        thanks neil

Comment

Hi Chris how are you welcome to the new forum
          Peter T.

Comment

Thanks for stepping on board Chris. You know that you have to post a few pics to keep things ticking along !!! Glad to have you aboard. Cheers John

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys. I plan on starting a build thread of a 71 Datsun 240Z that I'm doing. Needs a lot of metalwork and am going to use Peter's technique on making both 1/4 panels for it as well as door skins. It's going to need a lot. Currently working on a 71 Chevy C10 pickup for a customer that is taking all my time (and is behind schedule) so when I get that done I'll start posting on the 240.
              Is it ok to post a complete build or just the metalshaping parts?

Comment

Hurry up and start that thread Chris ! I too have a 71 240z tucked away that is structually pretty good but ended up being pulled apart at a panel shop and left there. The rear quarters and roof skin were removed but are still with the car All the interior is missing but the old girl has matching numbers and probably deserves to be restored but I think I will run out of daylight before that happens !! Post the whole build I say. If Neil complains tell him I told you to. Look forward to seeing it !!!! Cheers johnny admin ( Trying to excert some influence )

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	13 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	954
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	953

Comment

John that car actually looks pretty solid. Being a body guy my whole life I always get irritated by guys cutting away panels before we actually had the panels or made them. They really butchered the old girl didn't they? What I got is not as solid as that one. Fortunately I have my own personal '72 of which I'm the 2nd owner that lived it's whole life in California until I bought it in 2016. I plan on making all my patterns from that one. I'll start posting when I can get started on it.
                    Should be fairly interesting as the plan is that we are drawing inspiration from the Singer Porsche's and plan to make fit and finish and refinement exceptional. All mods will be in keeping with what the car is. That seems to be lacking in the Z community in the US. Lots of 10 foot cars but when you get up close you see many flaws.Should be interesting but a lot of work. Hopefully it will get me more work when I finish it.

Comment

I really look forward to seeing what you get up to. My car came 4000 km from the dry west so is pretty good in the pan and rails. I am a fan of anything with two doors it seems ! My kids will probably inherit this piece but I hope they will have access to the knowledge we have today .... who knows, maybe in 20 years they will just order a rear quarter and it will be 3D printed and delivered via drone by evening. We own a plastics manufacturing business and it is astounding the technology change that we are going through. Keep the skills alive as there is no soul in a robot and it seems that eventually these little guys will challenge each and every aspect of our working life. Cliff has described how the hand/heart passion has been challenged and I agree that it is paramount that we protect and promote the very real skills that make us human. I took up metal Shaping because I have always been creative but have traditionally worked with steel and plastics. Technology will surpass anything we are doing today and I fear that we will lose just a few more skills if we don’t act to protect them today I cannot manage to insert text with a picture but I see the power of technology and how it impacts our every day lives. My investments today are in industries that didn’t exist 10 years ago. My youngest son wants to be a professional blogger ( and a goal keeper for Chelsea FC if he has time !! ). These are exciting times and we need to make sure we keep what we have and adopt and change for the future. Get onto the Z and show us what you are up to. JL

Comment

Working...
                      X