hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi all

well as i've not added an introduction so here goes...

i'm originally from sheffield in the uk, city of steel (and rust) i'm a panel beater involved in the accident repair side of it. it does give me some slight advantage i suppose working with steel, straightening out panels, pulling on the jig and replacing panels. having said that actually understanding what to do and then make the panel your going to fit is a hole different game. fortunately peter has given me some tips, i have listened to him and worked out a lot of stuff he talks about. i hope this forum will give every member the chance to learn the old school ways that work everytime.
    thanks neil

Welcome to the forum Neil .About time you did an intro, Now we need pics of your jiggly Machine L O L
    Dennis

Comment

You a Pom then I gather?

Comment

Fond memories of Sheffield, lived there for 3 years while I was at uni.

Comment

Just to set the record straight, especially for those who don’t know Neil. Over the years I have been interested in metal shaping I have come to realise that it is a craft that takes a lifetime to master. I was fortunate to meet PT in the early days and was introduced to Neil. I’m partly deaf so had no hope of understanding an import from uk. I quickly learned to lip read when I discovered he was doing a 356 Porsche. I had seen pictures of his car on other forums and was stunned when he showed me what he had done. Have a look on 356 registry or abcgt if you have 10 minutes to spare..... The problem is Neil is a student. Pete’s student. He listens learns and puts into practice exactly what he has been taught and will discard a completely finished part because he has picked up something along the way. I encourage this behaviour because soon I will have enough discarded panels to make my own coupe. Neil shares my goal of making sure we help preserve the traditional methods that we have been fortunate enough to learn first hand from guys like Peter but he is tech savvy too. Neil and I don’t take ourselves too seriously but we felt that this site was important so he cobbled it together and one day I hope with everyone’s input it will become a valuable enough resource that I can say. “Thanks Pommy You done good guv “

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Neil. It's really great to see the group of moderators assembled for this site. It speaks well for the future.

Comment

Cliffy my friend. If moderators we’re in agreement life would by simple. Government would be simple too. Thanks for joining us as independent thinkers. Blessings Johnny. Some times we are touched by the things we see. Sometimes we are touched by the things we feel. And sometimes we are touched by the people we meet Sermon over jl

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post
                Welcome to the forum, Neil. It's really great to see the group of moderators assembled for this site. It speaks well for the future.
                i'm not quite sure how to take that message, as it's hard to translate text with emotion but there is only one other than me, but it is only the start... as the site grows it will need more, i will take it you are willing to put your hand up for the task?
                thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by neilb View Post

i'm not quite sure how to take that message, as it's hard to translate text with emotion but there is only one other than me, but it is only the start... as the site grows it will need more, i will take it you are willing to put your hand up for the task?
                  I'm not a big emoticon-kinda guy, but mean only the best. No sarcasm.

The divergence from AMS is the elephant in the room. I would love to see this forum go well. I know issues remain with some about the split that creates AMS from MetalMeet (?) before I came along. I have no interest in such politics.

My approach to craft in general is tradditional, probably to a fault. Peter caught my attention about a decade before I first saw AMS. Connecting with him was quite unexpected but much appreciated. Meeting other like-minded people along the way over the past 3 yrs is even better.

It would be great to see this forum go well- quality, regardless of quantity. Seeing people that have been upstanding positive participants on AMS take responsibility here is very reassuring. I seek a positive scene here with no bashing or games. If if there's something I can do and y'all think I'm viable, I'm glad to try to help however I can, Neil.
                  Last edited by cliffrod; 18-08-19, 03:25 AM. Reason: Fix autocorrect to AMS

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post

I'm not a big emoticon-kinda guy, but mean only the best. No sarcasm.

The divergence from AMS is the elephant in the room. I would love to see this forum go well. I know issues remain with some about the split that creates AMS from MetalMeet (?) before I came along. I have no interest in such politics.

My approach to craft in general is tradditional, probably to a fault. Peter caught my attention about a decade before I first saw AMS. Connecting with him was quite unexpected but much appreciated. Meeting other like-minded people along the way over the past 3 yrs is even better.

It would be great to see this forum go well- quality, regardless of quantity. Seeing people that have been upstanding positive participants on AMS take responsibility here is very reassuring. I seek a positive scene here with no bashing or games. If if there's something I can do and y'all think I'm viable, I'm glad to try to help however I can, Neil.
                    that's all good cliffy, we want to stay true to the art of metalshaping in it's truest form. as people have done for a hundred years, there is a reason why it has been done that way and i think we all would like it to continue being taught the same way. just thinking now, last year peter had a student over from the US and they were doing something on the wheel. i made a comment about using the wheel with a partner and dancing lol. seems odd at first but if you think about the era then ballroom dancing was a big part, near enough everyone did it. i'm in the belief that played a big part in how they used the wheel. personally i can't dance at all lol.

as far as politics go i too have no interest really but feel passionate about what i believe is correct or is not
                    thanks neil

Comment

One of the greatest obstacle to progress in craft can be working alone. It makes it very difficult to maintain an objective perspective. Adding other eyes, hands and critical input to the task is very beneficial.

btw, In a former life, I was an assistant BallRoom Dancing instructor... In order to learn without paying, I had to dance nonstop with ALL the older ladies. Senior citizens classes, lots of women but only 1-2 staggering old men trying to keep their teeth from falling out. quite an education. Comparison of wheeling and ballroom dancing is very true. With the right partner, it is wonderful and effortless. Alone or with a reluctant partner, it's no fun.

Comment

Well said both of you!

I haven't done any wheeling yet, but watching Peter's DVD about wheeling with a helper, it struck me that it is at least as difficult as working with a helper, on a two-man cross-cut saw. The two have to work as one and understand the tool as well; if this occurs it is a tiring but brilliant tool to use. If the other bloke can't follow instructions when learning and does't have a light touch, then it is time to give up immediately, as he creates very hard work for the other man.

So here is the problem; when I finish making my wheel, where am I going to find a woman, or man with the right touch?

Comment

Originally posted by Chazza View Post
                          Well said both of you!

I haven't done any wheeling yet, but watching Peter's DVD about wheeling with a helper, it struck me that it is at least as difficult as working with a helper, on a two-man cross-cut saw. The two have to work as one and understand the tool as well; if this occurs it is a tiring but brilliant tool to use. If the other bloke can't follow instructions when learning and does't have a light touch, then it is time to give up immediately, as he creates very hard work for the other man.

So here is the problem; when I finish making my wheel, where am I going to find a woman, or man with the right touch?
                          that is a very good question! fortunately peter only had to endure me twice as a partner on the wheel when we (mainly peter) did the door skins for my porsche. being a low crown panel it needed 2 people. the rest of the outer panels have lots of shape so it's easier to hold the panel alone
                          thanks neil

Comment

Originally posted by Chazza View Post
                            That could be the very next site Chazza

Cheers, Richard

Comment

Working...
                            X