Hi another from Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi another from Massachusetts

Hi. Another New Englander here. Been in the restoration game for 35 yrs now having worked with and for some prominent shops. Been on my own for 30yrs. I go bu SinisterSleds on ig, the hamb, and metalshaping forum. I prefer Customs as it allows fo more freedom.
    Jay

Welcome to the forum, Jay. Great to see you over here. It's a good crowd that should be appreciative of what you are willing to post. No snide comments about pullmax machines, as long as you understand the proper name for them here is big jiggly machine..

Comment

• skintkarter
      skintkarter commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have asked for royalties on the Jiggly Machine handle

Thanks Clifford,
    I always thought they were called big bang bang jogging contraption.

That guy caught me on a bit of a bad day but more than that was as stated, some people work hard others work hard at complaining. I went 30 years w/o a machine like that. I could have all the equipment in the world and there will be guys who can run circles around me with a claw hammer and stump.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymce View Post
        Thanks Clifford,
        I always thought they were called big bang bang jogging contraption.

That guy caught me on a bit of a bad day but more than that was as stated, some people work hard others work hard at complaining. I went 30 years w/o a machine like that. I could have all the equipment in the world and there will be guys who can run circles around me with a claw hammer and stump.

I tried to offer some guidance, but wasn't going to discuss actual metal prices/rates that I know from professionals. That's not the way it works. After his last few posts, I wanted to say if he interacts with customers like he was interacting with us that it didn't matter what his prices were. For what it's worth, also thought I could clarify to him that all of my stone work is 100% filler-free, one chance to do it right or start over from the beginning.

Maybe he'll find his place. I waited 30 yrs for my cast iron English wheel (still trying to learn how to use it). my big Gairu (pullmax) was an unexpected bonus opportunity last year, much more unexpected than my lathe last week. Being on your own is really tough. This is 17 yrs for me as a self employed/unemployed full-time sculptor. Seems the only way you can "keep" any income when you do make any is to spend it all on tools & equipment..

I'm looking forward to what you're willing to share here. And I like that Henry J a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post

I tried to offer some guidance, but wasn't going to discuss actual metal prices/rates that I know from professionals. That's not the way it works. After his last few posts, I wanted to say if he interacts with customers like he was interacting with us that it didn't matter what his prices were. For what it's worth, also thought I could clarify to him that all of my stone work is 100% filler-free, one chance to do it right or start over from the beginning.

Maybe he'll find his place. I waited 30 yrs for my cast iron English wheel (still trying to learn how to use it). my big Gairu (pullmax) was an unexpected bonus opportunity last year, much more unexpected than my lathe last week. Being on your own is really tough. This is 17 yrs for me as a self employed/unemployed full-time sculptor. Seems the only way you can "keep" any income when you do make any is to spend it all on tools & equipment..

I'm looking forward to what you're willing to share here. And I like that Henry J a lot.
          Frankly it's an impossible question to answer. It all depends upon your skill and ability. It's tough when you work alone you have no way to guage yourself. I try and be fair with customers and probably suffer for it, again because I have no reference. I try to guage it against myself. IE. Do I feel like I made good progress or do I fell like little progress was made and why. I also have a time card app on my phone and diligently punch in and off jobs as customers come and go etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymce View Post

Frankly it's an impossible question to answer. It all depends upon your skill and ability. It's tough when you work alone you have no way to guage yourself. I try and be fair with customers and probably suffer for it, again because I have no reference. I try to guage it against myself. IE. Do I feel like I made good progress or do I fell like little progress was made and why. I also have a time card app on my phone and diligently punch in and off jobs as customers come and go etc.
            That is the point we were all trying to make and he couldn't grasp that for whatever reason.

Anyways welcome Jay.

Comment

Welcome Jay, be interested to see some of your work and gear. I'm with you on the claw hammer and stump. I have two mates with not much more gear than that who turn out stunning work for a living. I always feel slightly ashamed when I leave their shops and come back to my hobby shop full of gear.
              Cheers, Richard

Comment

Agreed. I'm guessing he was young. I sound like an old foggy but the youth of today doesn't seem to want to work for anything. Maybe that's good maybe not.

I look at these forums to drive me to do better and improve on what I consider my mediocre accomplishments.

There is some awesome craftsmen on the modern media that shows amazing talent. There is always some guy innovating and some of these guys are young, naturally talented and or had great mentors. I think lot of young guys think it's about machines and not experience. They grab a hammer and when the can't make a perfect patch in 5 min blame lack of equipment. Peter T.building a quarter from a single sheet of metal with hand tools proves it is not about machines. I bow to that level of talent.

To quote my friend and a mentor. "Every day is a school day "

Comment

welcome Jay
                  thanks neil

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jay
                    Peter T.

Comment

Thanks Peter.

Comment

Where in New England are you Jay? I grew up in Duxbury Massachusetts, lived there until I was 15 and my folks moved to Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
                          Where in New England are you Jay? I grew up in Duxbury Massachusetts, lived there until I was 15 and my folks moved to Virginia.
                          Gloucester

Comment

Working...
                          X