Making a VW bus front floor with handtools ,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a VW bus front floor with handtools ,

Too bad the main website got lost , but here are a few pictures , of a front floor being made ,

http://build-threads.com/build-threa...i-restoration/

As Peter would say , you have to learn the basics ,

When I find a few more interesting pages I will post them .....

not seen that before, he's doing some really nice work with minimal tools, i like that

thank you for posting dave
    thanks neil

Comment

The old website it links too was from 2006 but its gone and no archive ,

There was a guy from Pakistan on the old Metalmeet board (before it crashed ) that was making Toyota Land cruiser parts , amazing stuff with simple tools , thats lost too !

We love machines and can either make or buy them , these guys make some simple machines or hand tools to do the work ,

It helps that they are only getting $5 a day !

Comment

I remember seeing that guy on that VW forum (can't remember the name of it) years ago. That pan is gorgeous, nearly an exact copy, and made with almost nothing in the way of tooling. A hammer and scraps of steel and wood. There are guys with thousands upon thousands of dollars (perhaps even more) in machines that can't do work that nice. That's the whole point of learning with hand tools first. I would imagine that guy can make that pan a lot quicker than folks think. When you have the understanding it cuts down on the time. Kinda of an insult to point out the whole "5 dollars a day" thing. (no offense intended to you Dave) I've heard others say that about him before. That's what guys with the machines say who can't do what he's doing.

I did find the original thread saved on the "Wayback Machine" if anyone wants to view it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080522...er=asc&start=0

Comment

thanks for the wayback link , I tried that on my computer before I posted and I did not find it ,

the $5 a day part is it takes a lot of hours at $5 to buy a $2000 pullmax to do it quicker , in the west at $50 an hour you would use the Pullmax as a time saver and money maker.

I have seen guys like this in other countries , I had a lot of things made in Czecho-slovakia right after the wall came down , amazing what they could do .

Comment

I don't know how one would make that pan with a Pullmax. I could be (probably am) wrong but you would need two people and a lot of different profiles to do it.Probably would take as much time or more if you count having to make the profiles, as it takes this guy doing it by hand. I could see someone doing it with a bead roller but it would still take two people and a lot of time. Plus the right profiles some of which you would have to make or have made. This guy chasing it out by hand probably wouldn't be far behind two guys doing it on a bead roller, and if you work alone trying to maneuver that pan by yourself on a roller would not be very easy. My point being that hand work isn't as inefficient as people think it is.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	330881EE-EE46-4498-9A79-4B605E725D11.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	761.3 KB
ID:	4395 Great stuff.....We are cheating

The owner of this rare pick up .... has kindly kept us going in lockdown.... with support and finance.

https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by abarthdave View Post
                Too bad the main website got lost , but here are a few pictures , of a front floor being made ,

http://build-threads.com/build-threa...i-restoration/

As Peter would say , you have to learn the basics ,

When I find a few more interesting pages I will post them .....
                the guy on the link ....I think that if he had a few good tools ........ ANDDDD..... a pair of shoes he would be dangerous LOL
                Peter T.

Comment

Working...
                X