lock down = no fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lock down = no fun...

well i got to say, this stage 4 lock down is really frustrating. i'd love to get to the garage and do some work but it's just over 5km (as the crow flies) plus it's not classed as essential (apart from my metal health lol). only 2 weeks left so it'll not be long before we can get back to work and more importantly! back to the porsche lol
    thanks neil

That's crazy. You can't go by yourself, to your shop to work by yourself? So what happens if you decide to do that? Are you not allowed to be out on the streets without a valid reason? Damn. Sounds like Nazi Germany. The only way they could truly do that in the US (some cities and even states are trying though) would be to declare Martial Law which would over ride the Constitution.

Honestly I think this thing is as much bullshit as it is anything. Yes the very old and very sick are at risk, but when are the very old and sick not at risk? Yes there have been some healthy people who have gotten it and died but that number is very small. We have turned into pussies really. Compliant sheep-le. 80% of the people who contract covid are asymptomatic. 80%!!!

And if you think about it unless you lock everyone in their houses (ala China) for however long, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, it's going to continue to stick around. So we are actually prolonging it by allowing some activity and not others. Really needs to be all or nothing. It so far past being able to control it that I feel we should just get back to normal living. If you re old or sick you should not do anything to put yourself at risk and people coming into contact with you should take precautions but it would be over sooner if we just let it run it's course. I'm sure some of you disagree but that's how I feel.
    Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 08-30-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

i hear you chris i like to see the looks on people's face when they tell me how awful this is and it won't be long before we beat it. then i proceed to tell them that the black plague is still around to this day, so what happened to that?

being out of your 5km radius without a valid reason results in a $1600 fine! obviously the best thing to impose at a time during mass unemployment and financial hardship... i can see their reasoning though, supposed to be a deterrent to help stop the spread

i started to read agenda 21 but it was far to long for me to keep interest in it, the section of population control had me for 5 minutes though
      thanks neil

Comment

Urghhh, don't get me started or look at my facebook page (Richard Pykett if you must...). I think we go back to level 2 tonight in Auckland NZ (they locked down the South Island, already screwed from no tourism, but no covid cases at all) but being the antisocial git that I am and living in a shed/office, life hasn't changed much for me through all of this. The unseen aspects of lockdown are starting to become apparent to us (Insurance Brokers) as we start to see undiagnosed health issues taking their toll. Plus we had t'youngest in hospital last week with t'appendicitis. Chucked him out the next day after surgery with a big argument between the nurse and the Dr as to booting him out with no antibiotics. The Dr won briefly, but Oliver was back in there 24 hours later very very ill and was on an antibiotic drip for a week with an acute infection. He is coming right now, but will be a month I guess before he is back at work. Of course I wasn't allowed to visit him whilst he was banged up. All in the name of Covid. We are all being played on a monumental scale... Currently researching Event 201 between John Hopkins Centre and Bill and Melinda Gates, just 3 months before the initial outbreak. Stay strong guys, there is stuff to make on the other side of this madness.
        Cheers, Richard

Comment

• neilb
          neilb commented
          Editing a comment
          hope he makes a speedy recovery richard

Even with this virus, we in the modern "civilized" western world know nothing of real loss or suffering. We forget what life was like before antibiotics, cures to diseases like polio, and others. Modern medicine has progressed enough to where it allows unhealthy people to be able to live relatively normal lives, and prolong the lives of older folks who in past generations would already have passed away.
        I'll use my Father who was 65 when I was born (I'm 47 so if he was alive today would be 113 in a couple of weeks, crazy I know) as an example. His older brother died at 7. His father died when my Dad was 16 from being gored by a Bull. Today they would have admitted him to a hospital, done surgery and blood transfusions and he would have gone home the next day. Not in 1923.
        Years ago when we buried my Dad in his hometown in Kansas, my (younger!!) Sis and I took a side trip to a tiny little country church in the absolute middle of nowhere on the Oklahoma/Kansas border. it was the graveyard where his brother was buried. I had been to this place when I was a little boy with my folks and I wanted to show my Sis, the grave. What struck me as we were searching for his headstone, was the amount of children buried here. At least 2/3 of the graves were children under 10 years old. Most were under 5. Very sad and it occurred to me how much harder life was in the early 20th Century. We know nothing (obviously there are exceptions) of real suffering and loss that was so common back then.
        My point being that Life requires both the good and the bad. The bad allows you to appreciate the good. Modern life has pretty much removed the bad and so when something like this virus happens people react disproportionately. Maybe that makes sense? Maybe not.🤔

You can choose to live or you can choose not to die. They are not the same.
        Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 08-30-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

State of mind.... keeps me strong...

as human beings we are lucky just to be here .... come to think it ..... we are extremely lucky this planet has all the right stuff for us to survive.....

l still find it extremely amazing that we are going about our daily lives ...... on the Surface of a PLANET.

Last edited by Moving molecules .; 08-30-2020, 09:37 PM.
          https://www.precisionpanelcraft.co.uk/

Comment

Hang in there Neil; you are all doing well and the spread of the virus in Victorian society is now virtually negligible. The main problem in Melbourne, is the alarming spread in hospitals and aged-care homes, which is very high and no one seems to know why, or how!

Chris, your country now has the highest number of deaths in the World due to Covid-19; meanwhile the "nazis" in New Zealand and Australia have managed to keep deaths to a minimum. Despite your unkind and inaccurate assessment of those govts, I would rather know that my great nephew, daughter, son-in-law and grand son in Melbourne are being kept as safe as possible.

Despite what your President says, the facts of Covid-19 are simple; it takes 2 weeks for symptoms to appear; it is nothing like influenza; it can kill anyone of any age; it can disable people for months, perhaps years; it is easily spread by contact or aerosols; no one knows for sure how long it can survive on a surface – one of the latest NZ infections was caught from a tourist who had left the country months ago and had never met the infected man!

The good news; Covid-19 cannot kill or infect anyone if we take simple precautions. Keep your distance; wash hands frequently; don't rub your eyes, or pick your nose, disinfect potential surfaces where the virus may be; avoid crowded rooms with poor ventilation; avoid touching communal surfaces unnecessarily.

You seem to think asymptomatic means that someone is not infected with Covid-19; however; it means that the person is infected but doesn't know it, because they have no symptoms at all. This is why the virus spreads so easily, when people exercising their "right" to go where they like when they like, inadvertently infect others. The right to spread the plague probably isn't in any Nation's constitution.

You are correct that the virus is here to stay forever, the aim of quarantine is not to get rid of it but to stop the spread. As you pointed out with the appalling infant mortality of years gone by, those diseases were not curable then. I don't think parents were mentally tougher then, or were happy with the situation, I suspect that all of them – especially mothers – thought of their dead children every day, for the rest of their lives.

Now that we know how to prevent or cure some diseases, why would anyone want to willingly pass-on, or receive the infection, knowing that it can be fatal?

Comment

the good news is that they say governments have poured millions in to finding a vaccine for covid-19 which should be available relatively soon, which is good news i guess, it's just a pity that all the money raised for cancer every year and a cure still seems a mystery. just for breast cancer alone $6bn a year is raised let alone all the other charities and fund raising events for other cancers. just to add to that a drug which has proved beneficial to cancer patients was rejected by the AU government under the medicare funding scheme thing to make it cheaper for patients. i guess that makes sense...

obviously this is a subject way out of my mediocre metal bending skills, but looking from the outside in, it seems someone is holding out on us...
              thanks neil

Comment

Chazza wasn't trying to denigrate the Aus or NZ governments just really amazed that they locked it down like that. That would never fly in the US with the mindset people have here.

No I don't think asymptomatic means a person is not infected. I understand what the word asymptomatic means. I think the statistic that 80% of people who contract it will have no symptoms is fairly significant.

Of course I'm for common sense procedures to stop the spread and don't want people to unnecessarily get it. My point is this, this is a disease that primarily affects the very aged and people who are already compromised in some way or another. It is a statistically small amount of healthy people who get it and die. It also does not affect children as much as other virus. Those who are healthy without any underlying conditions and die from it are a statistically small amount. About the same as those who are healthy, contract the flu and die. Actually here in the U.S., the Swine Flu pandemic in 2009 was much more lethal to children and we never heard hardly a thing about it. There were no special precautions taken whatsoever.

https://elemental.medium.com/its-not...51989bc8?gi=sd

I have to disagree being the child of a parent that lived through the Great Depression and other things, I absolutely think people were far more mentally and physically tougher in previous generations. There was no safety net to speak of during the Great Depression. Did they not grieve? I asked my Dad that about his Mom who lost two children, his brother and a few days old infant sister. He told me that it was as much a part of life and almost expected to one degree or another. One of the reason families had so many children. Does that make it any less significant? No of course not, but they accepted things like that and moved on. Far more folks then had a faith in God and I think that helped them. (regardless of ones opinion of religion and faith) but they had to live through challenges that you and I never will and hopefully will never have to.

If all you (not you personally) have ever known has been relatively easy you are nowhere nearly as well equipped to handle adversity as someone who has had to deal with adversity their entire life. Honestly do you think todays crop of 18-24 year olds in OZ, Canada and the US could fight and defeat Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan like those guys did? My Dad told me a story, I've heard it repeated by others, even by one of the gents on the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers, so I know it's not legend, plus my Father never bullshitted. . After Pearl Harbor there were guys who were determined to be 4F (unfit) for military service, that committed suicide because they couldn't serve. Those folks were different and tougher because of their life circumstances and just how life was, whether in the U.S. or in Australia.

I realize this is an emotional issue for a lot of folks, some of how I view it is clouded by how the media in the U.S. is so biased against conservatives in general and President Trump in particular. The virus has been viewed in this country by some as much of a means of keeping Trump from being re-elected as anything else. I can also say that if our previous President had been in office when this hit you would have seen far less coverage about it in the US, far less panic inducing 24 hour a day coverage and by extension throughout the world. Everything that happens here in the US is viewed by the media as how can we blame Trump?

Anyways, I hope that we can remain friendly here and that you don't take offense at my opinion and feelings about this.
                Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 08-31-2020, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Chazza
                  Chazza commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice to hear from you Chris and definitely no offence taken at my end.

I agree with 99% of your views and having reached my 60th year, I have often stopped to think how fortunate my generation has been; avoided polio by a whisker; dodged the wars by good luck; live in a society which despite our grumbles is only getting better as the years go by; and have the joy of the internet to communicate with most of the World instantly.

This is not the first pandemic, or potential pandemic, of course but my interest is in keeping my friends and relatives alive and well and to me the solution for not getting Covid-19, is absurdly simple.

The good news as I see it, is that where everyone pulls together – such as in Western Australia – life is almost normal again and has been for months; deaths have been minimal; and personally, I have not had one cold or flu since I started following the health rules!

Happy shaping,

Cheers Charlie

Charlie is a wise man.

My wife's grandmother spoke of the Great Depression as "just the way things were" at the time. They made the best of it and lived their life. Eventually it changed and got a little better. Then there was WWII... Personally, growing up farming gave me a different view regarding disease, death, isolation, durable self-sufficiency and other things than most people I know. Just because you do things right doesn't mean that things will end up going right. You keep going and are wise to do the short & long term right thing, not just do what feels good in the moment.

That strategy works really well cutting stone, too. Working all day while trying to not be outsmarted by a piece of stone helps keep you humble, too. I've cut a number of headstones for friends over the years. You do a lot of thinking during that time spent carving their stone hour after hour, day after day- about that friend, yourself and the lives around each.

We're not preppers, but we often have to be ready to live without work, income, etc for extended periods based upon the lifestyle we have created for ourselves. We strive to run in such a way that we may win the race. Under our roof, covid hasn't changed things that drastically. No matter- even with our adequate but 100% self-funded health insurance, we cannot afford a huge covid-related medical bill any more than can afford any other serious expense that may be avoided. Masks? No shoes. No Shirt. No service. is SOP across the USA & probably in AU, NZ and elsewhere. Why is a wearing a mask any different than wearing proper clothes? A mask that costs a few $$ vs the legitimate potential of a huge medical debt is a no-brainer to me.

Watching the stats, there's no basis for bragging about what we have achieved here in the USA. We took a lot of criticism for definitively cancelling our big annual motorcycle rally in July- threats of protests, flamed online, really stupid stuff. Nobody that bitched offered to volunteer to keep the bathrooms sanitized between each use, pick up trash, etc, etc to keep the event alive.. In the end, even the protesters failed to show like they said they would.

Just like things moving online in new and different ways during this adventure, the race to a vaccine has long term implications. IF (and I have doubts that this corona virus will stay dormant without typical mutations in order to be impacted efficiently by a static drug) an effective vaccine can be quickly achieved, it could and should lead to questions as to why other vaccines/cures require much longer and more money to achieve.

I've actually gotten more done here working on my shops & equipment in recent months than I have accomplished in many years. Don't expect to have the photogenic trophy shops that some achieve, but it should make metal projects even more enjoyable when I can afford time and money to do them.

In the future, people will talk about how carefree life was back in the teens before covid- just like how things were better/different before 9/11 or Pearl Harbor. Our daughter was born in 2003, so has no comprehension of life before 9/11 or the internet. We might look back on this time right now and realize that this is/was the good part of this whole adventure. No need to be frivolous with the gift we have right here, right now.

Comment

chris and cliffy thanks for posting, i think some of the issues with the media is here in AU is we only see a small percentage of media news of the USA, well i do anyway. i guess that works the other way too. i don't see much of the media coverage of the UK but speaking to family and friends over there i get conflicting news of what is reported... mom told me a week or so ago sheffield had 55 new cases, doesn't seem a lot for the size of the city. i learned last week my cousin had it along with one of her young children, both had symptoms nothing more than a mild flu, both are fine now and tested negative.

i'm not a big fan of watching the news, it's usually always bad and who really wants to get bad news? i don't read news papers either as it's the same crap on TV

whatever this is it's here to stay and in time will be treated just like the measles or chicken pox, mumps or any other disease, 10 or 20 years time when covid-20 is around this will be a distant memory lol
                  thanks neil

Comment

Neil, Don't you need to visit the pharmacy for medication, and while your out....perhaps stop by the garage in case you left the lights on...

Comment

• neilb
                      neilb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      it is tempting robert i'll be honest not long left though now

The information/media stuff is probably very similar in the final result, both then and now. Years ago, there was limited access to information. Now there's too much information. The net result is just as much confusion and lack of accurate factual truth.

Much of the USA media is currently very skewed towards the left/democrat/liberal. I'll leave it there so I wont get pissed. Now there are CGI commercials on TV that are virtually indistinguishable from live people. when that gets added to the news/info/internet mix with a tiny disclaimer that's easily overlooked, it wont end well.

We rarely see anything on the news here about AU that doesn't involve the stereotypical Koala or hopping Kangaroo. Not kidding. Event the huge AU fires of recent years had more screen time talking about the wildlife than the people and property. When I see those videos, all I can hear is Peter going into a tirade about how much he hates possums. None of the big fires here get the same wildlife priority...

My brother, sister-in-law and one nephew had covid a few wks ago. No hospital but 1-2 were pretty sick. My mother & uncle's small church closed in July after approx 10 of 30 members had it. Some ICU, some just at home. It was a knock down drag out fight to keep them home & to wear a mask when they were out. Then when everybody got sick a few wks later, they didn't. In the meantime, my uncle died 4 wks ago (non-covid) but it was a gauntlet to visit while he was in the hospital for a month. There were a few cases back in the beginning at our church. We still stayed home when it reopened, expecting it to go badly. about 2 wks ago, there were numerous cases so new protocols are in place. We watch the service online and attend study classes via a Zoom meeting online as well. With the amount of silica dust that's likely in my lungs, I have no desire to test my luck with covid just for fun.

My state of South Carolina has been averaging around 1000 new diagnosed cases per day for many weeks with 118K cases and 2700 deaths to date. Georgia, the state to our south/west, has reported 253K cases and 5400 deaths and Florida to the south of Georgia has been even worse with 612K and 11,100 deaths. Maybe these fit within typical flu death stats, but that's still nearly 20K deaths since Feb if reports are accurate. Nationally, total reported deaths have passed 180K. That's a lot of stones to cut, but they must be calling someone other than me.....

ON a lighter note- We do have a jar of our homemade wine left from last year from the stash that I had been saving for your possible stateside visit, Neil. Need to pick grapes now for this year's wine and need to drink the old wine sometime soon before it gets unhappy. When we do, I'll post pics as we do a toast to all of our faraway friends that we haven't met yet but will someday.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffrod View Post
                      ON a lighter note- We do have a jar of our homemade wine left from last year from the stash that I had been saving for your possible stateside visit, Neil. Need to pick grapes now for this year's wine and need to drink the old wine sometime soon before it gets unhappy. When we do, I'll post pics as we do a toast to all of our faraway friends that we haven't met yet but will someday.
                      i do have an old friend from sheffield living in the states, he was in chico not far from the fires in paradise CA, his wife has family on vancover island and i believe he is there now according to his instabrag account lol. our lass has been to the states and doesn't have a desire to visit again but her brother does so it could be a guy's holiday lol
                      thanks neil

Comment

Right or wrong... the lock down is working ,3 weeks ago we had in Victoria between 650 /750 + corona virus infections x day, 4 weeks of lock down and wearing masks ,we are now down to 44 x day.

Ok...... I have been doing very little work for the last few month now , and I have been seeing only a few people in this time, BUT ! it's working and I am safe

as far as my shop situation well... no working, no filming , or classes no nothing .
                        Peter T.

PS did I mention that I have run out of home brewed grappa LOL
                        Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 08-31-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X