Machinist Book recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ojh View Post
    Some good books are aircraft repair books, I have a couple, the one from the 50's has a huge section on riveting and proper formulas to determine how many rivets per inch and another aircraft maintenance book from the 30's? that is packed with information and technique.
    I am looking for metalshaping apprentice books from back in the golden age of panel beaters, if any of you know where I can look I'd appreciate it - not hijacking, I hope.
    Its a good idea to align the lathe along a cinderblock wall (motor, to the left) so the chuck key will have something to bounce off when you forget to remove it.
    Buy 50 books. Build a cinder block wall. This is turning into a self imposed honey-do list...

i havent seen any panel beating apprentice books and am guessing there aren't any from "back in the day." The basic use of the tool or machine can be written down, but the specialized craft knowledge of Masters is harder to capture in a book. Doing that can be a risk to your livelihood. Guilds and unions providing protection for didn't allow unauthorized information or training outside their organization. At the industrial level, making it easier for competitors makes no sense. This is still relevant in some circles, including my stone work. There aren't factories full of budding stone carvers & sculptors in the USA, but there are in China & beyond who are glad to put the smaller USA producers (like me) out of business. Any serious information goes there.

Sometimes a Master's notes may be discovered. These are traditionally more likely to be destroyed at the end of a career than passed on to the next generation, but that is an individual choice. One such example is a known as the Topkapi Scroll. Traditional Islamic Art is based upon intricate geometric ornamentation, which is difficult to calculate and produce to precisely fit & justify within a specific space. The methods were not written down and shared. Centuries ago, one Master did. His notes, which have become known as the Topkapi Scroll, are the single known archive of the method. A book about the scroll was published in 1996 and have not been reprinted. Prices are high for original copies, apparently ranging beyond $1000.

Perspectives and business models have changed in recent years- greater longevity & extended retirement after working years, ease of publishing and more. Metalshaping as we know it is has moved away from industrial/production towards individual craftsman & hobbyists. But If you do find a book like you seek, please let us know.

we should start a library thread to post these various books once they're sourced or recommended.

Comment

What about "The Key to Metal Bumping" by Frank Sargent. Describes the Fairmount method of repairing panel damage. My copy is a new reprint of the 1939 edition.

The Fairmount method is worth learning for those like myself, who were taught differently.

"How to Restore Sheet Metal Bodywork" by Bob Smith; Osprey books, is quite good but aimed at someone who is contemplating restoring a rusting hulk, for the first time. Most of us would know most of that book already I suspect.

Comment

Not a book but this guy has posted hundreds of videos on machining. Lot of stuff with old bridgeports and manual lathes. You might find it helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/videos

Comment

• cliffrod
          cliffrod commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Chris. I watched a couple and I like him. Will have to watch some more.

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
        Not a book but this guy has posted hundreds of videos on machining. Lot of stuff with old bridgeports and manual lathes. You might find it helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/videos
        Good tip Chris!

I like him as well.

Comment

Working...
        X