Coronavirus the World has shutdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
    So Indian Larry was a fraud and all Politicians are virtuous. Ok thanks.
    They're all men or women. All people are flawed. They (the ones we don't agree with) are flawed. We (the ones we do agree with) are flawed. No exceptions. This goes back to the first thing I said in my first post, stating there are no easy answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chazza View Post
      I suggest blaming anyone is a pointless activity.

Cheers Charlie

Not if we (the rest of the world) can force them to pay for it it isn't.

Comment

• Chazza
        Chazza commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm!

"Force" one of the most powerful nations in the World to pay compensation, for something that can be argued was unavoidable.

Good luck with that one. May as well try to get communists to give up lying and to form a real democracy as well, while we are at it.

Let us just concentrate on staying healthy and helping those in society who can't help themselves, to stay alive. Let us do something which is achievable.

Cheers Charlie

So I go back to my original point, in comparison to past outbreaks and pandemics namely Swine Flu in 2009 into 2010,this has been blown out of

all sense of proportion. I'll state again, here in the U.S., there was almost no media coverage of this. Very light. By media I mean CNN, MSNBC,

Fox News, ABC, NBC, CBS. Not talking about social media.The amount of people who were infected, hospitalized and died, simply dwarfs the

current CoVid19 virus. And it didn't cause a panic. And in the CDC's words "the 2009 flu pandemic

primarily affected children and young and middle-aged adults,"
      Instead President Obama was praised by the Media for his handling of the swine flu outbreak. There was

none of the panic inducing coverage that started this whole current thing. And the Media here in the US which hates Trump (with the exception of Fox) played up Trump's

incompetence in dealing with it and many have made no bones in expressing their pleasure that it may weaken Trump and cause him to lose the November election. Read the

following paragraph from the CDC website and apply it to today.

Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.** Globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age. This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...swine-flu.html.
      https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

We have as of today 150 deaths from CoVid19 in the United States according to the CDC website

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

If this insanity goes on for 2,or 3, or 4, months or even longer does no one get the world economic collapse that is going to occur? It will make

the Great Depression look like a walk in the park. And we are doing this willingly. Does no one grasp this? The pain we will have to live through

after this is over will far outweigh the damage and human toll of this virus.

Folks that lived through the Great Depression were changed by it in many ways. My Father (who was 64 when I was born) lived through it as a

young adult and it affected how he lived the rest of his life. That is where we are headed. It scares me and angers me.
      Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 03-20-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• neilb
        neilb commented
        Editing a comment
        i know what you mean chris, i am well aware what is going on. i often say recession is already here it's just that denial is just in front of it

• Chazza
        Chazza commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Chris; no need for any panic.

well i thought i would share something that was sent to me from someone in the UK

''to prevent the spread of germs, people are advised to sneeze in to their upper arm. people have instead started to stock pile toilet paper. this confirms a long standing belief that too many people don't know their arse from their elbow''

quality!
      thanks neil

Comment

We still haven't seen toilet paper for sale for days around here. Might have to set up the redneck bidet (garden hose run in through the bathroom window) if some doesn't show up....

the coming recession/depression isn't going to be fun. Lots of things in life aren't. An actual reality check is just reality. We just drove into town to do the final installation details on the peach leaf. It was strangely like driving used to be around here- lighter traffic (but not deserted by any means) and much different experience. No typical grand theft auto/NASCAR wannabe stuff. People seemed much subdued and more polite. Maybe folks are finally starting to think beyond themselves.

Too much of the world has turned into a cut throat selfish endless peckerhead contest, usually over nothing. Hoarding toilet paper comes to mind right now... People make up whatever reason needed to justify their own selfish needs and desires. Watching all this stuff, I've regularly said for years that someday reality will have to matter. Maybe now that lives and livelihoods are literally hanging in the balance, that time has finally come.

it isn't that I'm not scared of what might happen. I would be stupid not to be. This will probably hurt (and even hurt a lot) but it may save us in many ways. We won't know until it's over. Until then, I'm glad to have friends on this forum. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Small country towns like my own are having their supermarkets stripped by visitors from the city. No toilet paper, pasta, flour, etc.

Fortunately my chardonnay hoard – like Richard's – is secure.

Happy metal bashing chaps,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Man, y'all have all the good wine stashed...

I've got 3 quarts of wine from my own small vineyard of grapes called muscadines.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2777

Views:	73
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2780

They're native to this region and produce pretty informal young wine (think Beauljolais or Chianti) vs a typical cellar wine. I've got around 20 vines on the property. My good friend Elsmore (maybe some remember the bashed oil pan thread on another forum) has been making wine with my grapes for several years. It has improved very much as time has passed. The goal is to bottle/jar 10 gallons this year. He's on disability and really enjoys doing wine. Jars aren't bottles, but suffice for our good times. I've got a large 130 old grinder and press to restore (needs new wood) for us. Just found the small press I've had that was buried & lost here for him to use in the meantime. He's had nothing to use as a press yet, so extending the batch to 10 gallons seems reasonable.

I saved these from last year's production, thinking that any possible visits to my studio by people from AU were rumored to happen before this year's wine would be ready. And if that happened, I was excited to think of having some of our own wine to share with such important guests to my studio. If it doesn't happen this year, we'll put up some more for another year.

leaf buds on the vines are just starting to erupt. That's always good to see.

Views:	75
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2775

Plans today include planting a pair of Thompson Seedless grape vines that my wife gave me for Christmas. They came in the mail 2-3 wks ago and I just found planting tubes for them so the rabbits won't bite them off..... These are known for plain green seedless table grapes but are also the preferred vine for producing grape leaves for culinary use & cooking. I've wanted a good leaf grape vine(s) for years.

During my inconsistent gaps in stone work, I have made a habit of planting edibles- preferably native, drought tolerant and extremely durable- around the property. When there's no work and usually even less money, I can plant or prune or divide stuff for free. We did splurge on some store bought apple trees, which don't produce much unless you spray them. We don't. Our peach orchard is populated with trees that popped up in the compost pile. They get buggy (in the pit) if not sprayed but not a big deal. They're beautiful and just blooming now.

Views:	73
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2779

I think we've got a few cherry trees growing from garden/compost now, so will move them & see what they become. We did persimmon jam a few years ago cooked about a bushel of wild persimmons before throwing the seeds and remaining solids in the compost like everything else. We got around 100 trees.... We grow perennial weedy edibles including horseradish, arugula, parsley, oregano, thyme, hard neck garlic, thornless prickly pear cactus and more. Anything that just grows without being too invasive makes sense as another possible meal when we're trying to stretch things. I've been trying to establish Wild sassafras and PawPaw trees for years. Maybe someday it'll work.

Thought maybe some some here might also do some gardening. It's a great way to learn to trust more than yourself, to be patient and to be amazed at the durability of the will to live. Some plantings take years to produce. Some never do. Some do more than you ever imagined. In this current time at home, being outside in the dirt with plants that don't worry is a great place to be.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Cliffy!

I thought those interested in Covid-19 might find this podcast interesting. If the link doesn't work, search Youtube for "Podcast 10: Coronavirus | with Dr Norman Swan"

https://www.patreon.com/posts/podcas...g-wMmWCecU3sBM

Norman cuts through the bulldust thrown out by ignorant politicians,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

The Imperial college of London has done some modelling on what they predict may happen if no measures are taken to stop the pandemic. Their estimates are only for the US and the UK and they calculate a possible 2.2 million deaths for the US and 510,000 for the UK. By August.
                https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT2 View Post
                  The Imperial college of London has done some modelling on what they predict may happen if no measures are taken to stop the pandemic. Their estimates are only for the US and the UK and they calculate a possible 2.2 million deaths for the US and 510,000 for the UK. By August.
                  https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf
                  Referencing general numbers already presented- given a fatality rate of 1.4%, if the majority of a population of 330M (USA) was infected, that's at least 3.4M-4M deaths in the USA alone. Whatever the statistical significant deviation or actual infection rate, 2.2M falities seems very realistic. Hopefully that won't be what happens.

The aspect that bothers me the most is people being legalistic about the social isolation timeline. People stay home for 14 days, say I did my part, go back to life as usual and provide residual infection a perfect environment to win the war. Patience isn't about how long you've waited- it's about how much longer you can wait.

I've talked to several old friends in the last few days who think this is an overblown ridiculous situation. Me, I would rather overreact and not die than be gallant and think bravado will triumph over impatience. Holding persons to a 2 week (for example) guideline is just a means of shifting blame to someone else- either 2 weeks wasn't enough or it wasn't necessary. It's a fool's errand. I worry it won't be real to many of them until it's too late. What do you really HAVE to do that cannot wait for another 2-4 wks? I get being really $$broke. It's still a lot a better than being dead.

it isn't like these old friends or mine are major corporate or political leaders. No matter, I have a hard time believing that major corporations are indifferent about taking a million, multimillion or billion dollar loss just for the hell of it. We run our bike rally with myself and 1-2 others in charge to limit bureaucracy stuff that stifles other events. It's easy to be an individual and draw a line. The larger the organizations, the larger the obligations.

Freedom is paramount to me. That's why I don't have a job or a boss or a schedule. Sometimes that means not being stupid to protect the ones around me, which in the end will ultimately protect my freedom. I hope my friends will err on the side of caution, then laugh because they stayed home for an extra week or three instead of their family asking me to cut a stone for them. Cutting headstones for friends is a great privilege, but I've done it many times. As humbling as it is, there's things I would rather do for friends.

Comment

it seems the 14 day isolation is not correct, there has been cases that have taken 21 days to show signs, if isolation is needed then surely we should all do it at the same time?

never the less it has started to take it's toll on me, my employment was terminated today so that means more time to get the porsche further on while looking for a job lol
                    thanks neil

Comment

• Chris_Hamilton
                      Chris_Hamilton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry to hear that Neil. I hope you and your family are ok and you find work quickly.

• neilb
                      neilb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      thanks charlie and chris, i'm sure it'll be fine, lots of others in the same situation

• cliffrod
                      cliffrod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Take care, Neil.

If you want a job straight away try down at the toilet paper factory I heard they are looking for security guards on the delivery trucks. Might be a bit risky but judging by what has been going on in the supermarket aisles.

Comment

Except for toilet paper and some frozen covenience items, much of the supermarket inventory seems to be stabilizing around here. Still, the couple of times we've been out since finishing the peach leaf, it's seems to be a lot busier. The amount of traffic we can hear from our home has picked up a lot. We're on the approach to a fairly busy regional airport. Noticeably fewer planes flying over our house.

We received email yesterday from an ICU nurse in our Bible study that a former church member & father of current member is on a ventilator with covid19 and not good. The "first confirmed case in the county" was reported about 3 wks ago at a business immediately across the intersection at our church. Company was shut down for 5 days before it was exposed as a fake claim with forged supporting documents. The man has been arrested on numerous charges.

Staying home even more is much like life growing up on the farm. No need for and even less spare time & money for frivolous trips to town for anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X