X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Tommasini
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
    All of you Ozzies are in my thoughts and prayers. Stories we've been seeing here in the States have been horrific. My heart goes out to everyone who lost their home and for all the animals. Story tonight showed a kangaroo with burned front paws licking them. Gut wrenching. God be with you all. And may he bring some rain.
    Hi Chris, thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. We are very fortunate that we are not in an area affected by the fires except for the horrible smoke which is enveloping
    most of the country unfortunately. We are presently getting a lot of rain which hopefully will also be getting to the effected areas. With the rain can also come flooding as the
    earth cannot absorb it and also all the ash debris which might affect the water catchment areas. So its not over by far. We are the lucky ones as there are many people who
    have lost homes and livlihoods. It will be a long road to recovery. As always in times of crisis the Australian community has rallied and donated millions of dollars to assist
    people and wildlife which has been decimated. The most frightening thought is that we are only half way through our summer!
    Cheers Peter

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilT2 View Post
    radiant heat seems to be a big issue in the stories coming from people in the area. One home owner said his car exploded well before he saw any flames. Another said the fire came up the mountainside and rolled over 200m of close mowed lawn to consume the house. ...
    Good points Phil.

Coupled with radiant-heat and wind is an ember-attack. One of my colleagues was working on a fire before Xmas, he said that a 100m fire-break was useless. as the embers flew over it and started new fires – the same fire is still burning! He also witnessed a single ember about the size of a 10c coin, land on a power-pole which immediately caught fire up its length.

Everything around the house has to be fire-proof and squirting water on the roof, or around the garden, before the fire gets there, is a waste of time and water as the radiant-heat evaporates it long before the embers, or flames arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Hamilton
    replied
    All of you Ozzies are in my thoughts and prayers. Stories we've been seeing here in the States have been horrific. My heart goes out to everyone who lost their home and for all the animals. Story tonight showed a kangaroo with burned front paws licking them. Gut wrenching. God be with you all. And may he bring some rain.

Leave a comment:

• PhilT2
    replied
    radiant heat seems to be a big issue in the stories coming from people in the area. One home owner said his car exploded well before he saw any flames. Another said the fire came up the mountainside and rolled over 200m of close mowed lawn to consume the house. We have regulations that require certain building standards in high risk areas but current events have shown them to be less than perfect. I think getting insurance in these areas is about to become difficult if not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Chazza
    replied
    Yep, life is more important than anything else.

In my experience as a forest-fire fighter, most houses that people consider defendable, are not. In most cases radiant heat shatters the windows and that is the end of the house; if your house does not have metal shutters and there is fuel closer than 20m, plan to leave early.

I had planned to build on my farm block, but circumstances have changed. In my decades-long planning, I came to the conclusion that self-closing shutters and an automatic sprinkler system, external and internal, are the only methods to protect any house, which are more or less guaranteed to work and be invaluable defences.

Leave a comment:

• neilb
    replied
    good advice phil, there have been reports of a few that have stayed and not made it. it's very hard for some to make the decision to leave if they have no insurance or the thought of having to start from scratch is too overwhelming. our thoughts are with them all wherever they are in the world

Leave a comment:

• PhilT2
    started a topic Fires

Fires

Hope any of you near the hot spots are keeping safe. Most of us are getting too old to be heroes so leave it all and run if you are advised to.
Working...
X