No announcement yet.

For Kiwi John- current stone sculpture project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now the top detail begins. I continue cutting detail via production of checks or squared stock removal to a desired level. The same detail or step is done on each face before the next detail is produced. This will speed your work and produce more accurate results than producing a single area to completion before advancing.

First will be the check along the base of the dormer vault-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8655.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	4349

After this is done, the general pitch panels of the dormers are roughed into shape.

Name:	IMG_8665.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	4350

Then the horizontal flat of the check at the base of the pitch is produced.

Name:	IMG_8673.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	4351

A couple of details. Aspects are accurate but not perfect or square or even cut to the lines at this point. It's important to leave room for 1. the abraded final desired surface and 2. to adjust the overall job so that all details register properly with neighboring details. This stone is close but not perfectly square. Neither is the stone it must fit. In fact, the column it will top is 1/4" out of square as delivered.(1'-2 3/8" x 1'-2 5/8") All adjoining faces and intersections will have to be made to meet properly, while all surfaces must be produced in plane as much as possible. So there's a little wiggle room left.

Name:	IMG_8675.JPG
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	4352

Comment

The pitched panels are cut with a smooth chisel and left approx 1/8"-1/4" heavy for now.

Name:	IMG_8678.JPG
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	4354

Name:	IMG_8694.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	4355

Now work begins upon the apex top detail.

Name:	IMG_8694.JPG
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	4356

Name:	IMG_8698.JPG
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	4358

Attached Files

Comment

In general, panel or flat areas are defined along or around the edges with center left crowned or heavy. The crown is then lowered to produce as flat a panel as desired. The apex detail is very crowned right now as I approach both flat and agreement. The vaulted apex top needs to properly agree with each neighboring side and the respective dormer top. Tomorrow I will begin finishing each dormer top- ridge line is visible pencil line on the flat, base of pitch is at intersection of flat- simultaneously with the apex detail.

Name:	IMG_8700.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	4360

Overhead view-

Name:	IMG_8701.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	4361

The remaining crown makes these visible as curved, but that will go away.

Along with the tools above, I meant to add- when I started carving this 2 wks ago today, I sharpened my carbide chisels. They are still as sharp now as they were 2 wks ago. When carving granite, the same exact carbide chisels stay sharp for approx 3-5 minutes before needing to be resharpened. When carving marble, it's easy to have cramps from sitting or standing without moving enough. It's also normal to have to stop carving because the chisels get too hot to hold from working against the stone. After fighting granite every step of the way, it can be fun to plow through marble at a ferocious rate.

Comment

Fantastic work! I still can't understand how you sculpt something as hard as granite,

Cheers Charlie

Comment

Working...
          X